Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108946
View in linear mode

Subject: "Converting internally wastegated turbo to external" Previous topic | Next topic
BoostedEclipseSep-11-11 01:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108946, "Converting internally wastegated turbo to external"

Can an internally wastegated turbo (i.e. HRC Super 20g) be converted to an externally wastegate setup without compromising performance? Is it as simple as removing the wastegate and welding the wastegate flap closed?

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

junkyarddsmSep-11-11 01:25 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2010
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108947, "RE: Converting internally wastegated turbo to external"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-11-11 01:27 PM by junkyarddsm

From what I have read never did it myself. Yes that is all you need to do to go external. welding is not easy on the exhaust side so if you do not have the proper skills to do the job have a shop do it for you could not cost to much maybe at the max 100$.

I know it is dsmtuners.com but good information.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/221019-how-do-external-wastegate-internally-wastegated-16g.html

Finish? What is this "finish" you speak of sir? Dsm's are never complete just temporarily put together.

97 eclipse gone but never forgotten Ill miss you money pit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BoostedEclipseSep-11-11 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#108948, "RE: Converting internally wastegated turbo to external"
In response to Reply # 1

I didn't see where their would be any problems and didnt hear any problems experienced when I searched online . But I always like to get some opinions/experiences before I try something I'm not 100% sure on.

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

Broke4goingNov-28-11 08:10 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
#109067, "RE: Converting internally wastegated turbo to external"
In response to Reply # 2

Did the very same thing for my friend last year, if you look below the pizza you will see an aftermarket TIAL waste gate welded to the stock manifold, then routed to open dump.

The screen name says it all

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108946 Previous topic | Next topic