Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108921
View in linear mode

Subject: "Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!" Previous topic | Next topic
Vendor99BeaterGSSep-02-11 06:05 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2011
40 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108921, "Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
Sep-01-11 09:01 AM by 99BeaterGS

Alittle backround here. Just recently bought a 99 GS with 170k on it for $2000. Needed 4 tires, balll joints, rotors and pads, wipers, little stuff like that so to get it on the road all in all $3000. I needed to stop DDing my GTO around.

Anyways got back on DSMTuners.com from when i had a 96 ESI. Well i desided i want to get into my first 420A Rebuild/Full Build. Desided to go Full Build Turbo.

Found a guy with a blown motor 20 min from my house on craigslist for $200. Went out and took a look at it and #3 rod was snapped and one of the valve where snapped. I thought about it thinking well in the tear down the rod could of destroyed the cyl wall and stuff. Well i went ahead and bought it anyways. It was a long block minus cams and gears. Told him my plans for it and he said well sence your only going to use the bear block and head hell give it to me for 150. Well a came back a week later and this is what i ended up with. Bottom end, Head, and he though a spare trans in there with it all for $160 (trans needs a throw out bearing.

Well it is when bought.

/>

/>

/>

/>

/>

/>

And here is were im at. I need to buy the pistons to give to the shop to get the block and head hot tanked, decked, etc. Block bored to weisco .040 8.8:1 pistons

/>

So heres a brainstorm of parts to be purchased. (just for the motor build) I know im going to have to upgrade other things on the car also. Im sticking with the stock block, head, and intake manifold Not going to a stroker kit or anything just porting. I really dont have a goal except to maybe get tuned to 93octane and 15-20 psi on track and 10psi on street. The hp/tq i want to be a surprise when tuned.

BLOCK

Cleaned
Checked for cracks
Decked
Bored

Reconditioned Crankshaft
ACL Main Bearings
Eagle Connecting Rods
ACL Rod Bearings
Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons .040/88.50MM
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs
New Freeze Plugs
New or Used Oil Pan
New or Used Oil Pickup Tube
Duralast Crankshaft Position Sensor
Duralast Oil Pressure Switch
Duralast Knock Sensor

TIMING

Parts Dino Oil Pump
Parts Dino Water Pump
Parts Dino Mech. Conversion Tensioner, Idler Pulley, and Gates Racing Belt Kit
Fidanza Cam Sprockets

HEAD

Cleaned
Decked
Exhaust/Intake Ports Ported and Polished to Match Gaskets
(Along with Intake Manifold and Header)

Super Tech Valves
Super Tech Springs
Super Tech Valve Seals
PT Lifters
2.7L Rockers
Crower Stage 2 (64462T-2) Forced Induction Cams
Duralast Camshaft Interrupter
Cometic Head Gasket
New Freeze plugs

OTHER

Oil Cooler
Stage 3 Clutch
Fly Wheel
Motor mount
Full Fuel system
MegaSquirt EMS

Theres more but just consitrating on the motor build first

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-31-11 03:42 PM, #1
RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Vendor99BeaterGS, Aug-31-11 03:51 PM, #2
      RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-31-11 04:09 PM, #3
           RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Vendor99BeaterGS, Aug-31-11 04:15 PM, #4
                RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Moderatorxcasbonx, Sep-01-11 05:38 AM, #5
                     RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Vendor99BeaterGS, Sep-01-11 08:16 AM, #6
                          RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-01-11 08:56 AM, #7
                               RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Vendor99BeaterGS, Sep-01-11 09:38 AM, #8
                                    RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-01-11 09:58 AM, #9
                                         RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-01-11 02:19 PM, #10
                                              RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!, Vendor99BeaterGS, Sep-02-11 05:57 AM, #11

AdministratorCODE4Aug-31-11 03:42 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108922, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks good so far. I recommend buying more parts such as the water pump and vital components from somewhere else besides Autozone, unless you know for a fact of the parts origin (and it is only rebranded as Duralast).

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page29.html

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vendor99BeaterGSAug-31-11 03:51 PM
40 posts,
#108923, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by CODE4
Looks good so far. I recommend buying more parts such as the water pump and vital components from somewhere else besides Autozone, unless you know for a fact of the parts origin (and it is only rebranded as Duralast). http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page29.html

So your saying try and stay away from the local autozone for parts foranything? I was thinking that but i didnt thing it was a big deal going that way with the water pump and sensors and little things like that?

AdministratorCODE4Aug-31-11 04:09 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#108924, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 2

Sensors are fine, but do not consider the water pump as something to be taken lightly.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Vendor99BeaterGSAug-31-11 04:15 PM
40 posts,
#108925, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by CODE4
Sensors are fine, but do not consider the water pump as something to be taken lightly.

Well i didnt make it to sound like that. Just that its stock water pump thought it would be fine. But thanx for the input ill be changing that stuff to something differnet. Thanx man

ModeratorxcasbonxSep-01-11 05:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#108926, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 4

I'd say you're on the right track. Though like CODE4 said, I would look into getting your waterpump elsewhere.

Also, don't forget anaerobic sealant for the bedplate/block connection, oil pump, and the cam caps. Forget this and you will be very sorry.

This link has a lot of helpful information that sometimes can easily be looked over. Good luck man, and keep us posted on your progress!

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=A_Proper_Rebuild

I contributed to the Wiki.

Vendor99BeaterGSSep-01-11 08:16 AM
40 posts,
#108927, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-01-11 08:25 AM by 99BeaterGS

Yeah Parts Dino had some of what i needed.

Water Pump
Oil Pump
Mech tensioner convertion, idler, and Gates Racing belt kit

2.7L Rockers
3mm oil hole lifters OEM style

Also had a question. I was looking at getting the ACL Main and Rod bearings from there to but they have differnt sizes. If im right its the STANDRAD size that will work for my RECON CRANKSHAFT and EAGLE RODS. Correrct me if im wrong please.

Oh and yes i have the anaerobic sealant in my mind i wont forget just didnt ad it to parts list like the assembly lude and stuff. Im brainstorming and checking everything out and getting more knowledge before i start the build sence this will be my first build

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-01-11 08:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108928, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 99BeaterGS
Yeah Parts Dino had some of what i needed. Water Pump Oil Pump Mech tensioner convertion, idler, and Gates Racing belt kit 2.7L Rockers 3mm oil hole lifters OEM style Also had a question. I was looking at getting the ACL Main and Rod bearings from there to but they have differnt sizes. If im right its the STANDRAD size that will work for my RECON CRANKSHAFT and EAGLE RODS. Correrct me if im wrong please. Oh and yes i have the anaerobic sealant in my mind i wont forget just didnt ad it to parts list like the assembly lude and stuff. Im brainstorming and checking everything out and getting more knowledge before i start the build sence this will be my first build

Standard size is what you want unless the crank has been machined down.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Vendor99BeaterGSSep-01-11 09:38 AM
40 posts,
#108930, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah thats what i thought.

Also before i take the block and head to the machine shop should i go ahead and remove the freeze plugs as well first?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-01-11 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108932, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 99BeaterGS
Also before i take the block and head to the machine shop should i go ahead and remove the freeze plugs as well first?

I've never bothered.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420agreenvilleSCSep-01-11 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#108933, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 9

nice build... http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=16&topic_id=119148&mode=full

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Vendor99BeaterGSSep-02-11 05:57 AM
40 posts,
#108935, "RE: Early Stage of my 420A-T Build!"
In response to Reply # 10

Added to the list! Thanx

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108921 Previous topic | Next topic