Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108830
View in linear mode

Subject: "HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezAug-10-11 06:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108830, "HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
Jul-22-11 05:03 PM by ez

Well I finally found what caused my A/C to die. The line that feeds into the compressor cracked from the heat from the turbo and felt right off the compressor. I did have heat wrap around both the HRC downpipe as well as the A/C lines near the exhaust, but that was not enough.

I remember a couple people had custom bent lines off the A/C when they went turbo. Any advice how you did that? It looks like it's aluminum, so I need somebody who can weld aluminum. I think Corbin may have done this. Any photos or recs would be appreciated - TIA!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, ez, Jul-27-11 09:29 PM, #1
RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jul-28-11 06:31 AM, #2
      RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-28-11 01:13 PM, #3
           RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, ez, Jul-28-11 02:27 PM, #4
                RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-28-11 02:34 PM, #5
                     RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, Ebster1085, Aug-08-11 07:25 AM, #6
                          RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?, azdave, Aug-09-11 07:38 AM, #7

ezJul-27-11 09:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108851, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 0

Just an update, as I'm doing this myself.

Unhooked the aluminum fitting from the top of the compressor, as well as the aluminum fitting that goes to the other end of the hose. Cutting the aluminum pipe and welding on AN fittings. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-28-11 06:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#108852, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 1

Post em up. Always good to see someones work.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-28-11 01:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108853, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 2

It's aluminum. Just bend it out of the way.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ezJul-28-11 02:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#108854, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-28-11 02:28 PM by ez

Too late to bend, it already died. Here's a pic, note the complete lack of flexible line, and melted scorched remains of said line

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-28-11 02:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108855, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ez
Too late to bend, it already died. Here's a pic, note the complete lack of flexible line, and melted scorched remains of said line

Brutal. never seen one fail so... cleanly.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Ebster1085Aug-08-11 07:25 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#108867, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 5

I literally just hit the hardline section down with a hammer years ago to get it a little farther away from the downpipe and I have never had issues..

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

azdaveAug-09-11 07:38 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#108874, "RE: HRC downpipe -> needs custom A/C compressor line?"
In response to Reply # 6

I used the Hahn 3" DP and had to move one of the AC lines quite a bit. After a series of nice gentle bends it cleared but then leaked. I had a new hose made and wrapped the DP.

While I was in there I also moved the dipstick for the oil level so it was easier to access.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108830 Previous topic | Next topic