Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108757
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo Installed ... now what?" Previous topic | Next topic
phoenixwaveJun-10-11 10:31 AM
Member since May 24th 2011
16 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108757, "Turbo Installed ... now what?"

So for all you gurus out there that deal with 420A work ... what do I do now?

I've installed my brand new T3/T4 .60 AR turbo, Internal Wastegate set to 8PSI, Front Mount Intercooler, Vortech 8:1 FMU, Fuel Cut Defender, A/F and Boost Gauges, Walbro 255 Pump, Missing Link, New Spark Plugs, Gaskets and Fittings etc. ...

The car runs but obviously is not spectacular ... what's the next step? Tuning I'm assuming.

I live near Muncie, Indiana and have no idea where to get this work done. I've called 7 different places today to get it tuned and none of them do Mitsubishi work. Am I missing something? Should I not be tuning, or is there something I can do myself?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-10-11 10:47 AM, #1
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, phoenixwave, Jun-10-11 10:49 AM, #2
      RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-10-11 10:54 AM, #3
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-10-11 11:32 AM, #4
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-10-11 02:01 PM, #5
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, phoenixwave, Jun-10-11 03:06 PM, #6
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-10-11 03:36 PM, #7
      RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, 740 turbo brick, Jun-10-11 03:43 PM, #8
           RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-10-11 09:35 PM, #9
                RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, phoenixwave, Jun-11-11 09:21 AM, #10
                RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-11-11 11:23 AM, #11
                RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-11-11 11:24 AM, #12
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, Fabs, Jul-01-11 03:00 AM, #13
RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?, xiDsmmanix, Jul-23-11 09:30 PM, #14

AdministratorCODE4Jun-10-11 10:47 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108758, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

What are you going to tune with? Do you have a wideband O2 setup? You need those components before you can tune. Driving without them risks severe engine damage.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

phoenixwaveJun-10-11 10:49 AM
16 posts,
#108759, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, I have a Wideband 02 installed ... but that's my question. What's is the next step because I have no idea what to do past this point. (I think I'm definitely out of my realm and safe zone)

AdministratorCODE4Jun-10-11 10:54 AM
2552 posts,
#108760, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 2

You need to search the forums for what tuning software you want to use. You are somewhat limited, and this is definitely something you should have considered before getting to this point.

Bottom line is you need a method to control your fueling needs to prevent lean mixtures, and subsequently detonation.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-10-11 11:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108761, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey, sorry I never replied to your email, I forgot all about it.

What are you using as far as injectors? The 8:1 might not be enough, depending.

There isn't really anything on the setup to tune, except the bleed valve...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Moderatorcs82685Jun-10-11 02:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#108762, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 4

how about a little more detail? You say the car runs but not spectacular, is that at idle, while cruising, under boost? Have you made sure everything is hooked back up correct, is the FCD setup correctly, any boost leaks?

With that basic setup, you really shouldn't be having many 'tuning' issues

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

phoenixwaveJun-10-11 03:06 PM
16 posts,
#108763, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by cs82685
how about a little more detail? You say the car runs but not spectacular, is that at idle, while cruising, under boost? Have you made sure everything is hooked back up correct, is the FCD setup correctly, any boost leaks? With that basic setup, you really shouldn't be having many 'tuning' issues

Cruising it seems fine, idle I would say seems hesitant, especially coming to a rolling stop ... and then under boost it doesn't like it when I hit 6 thru 8 PSI ... seems very rough. That and I've read that if the BOV makes a "flutter" sound that you probably have a boost leak. (which I'm guessing is more or less the case) (the BOV is a Greddy - and I've never done any of this before so I'm not sure if it's supposed to make the "flutter" sound or not with the 420A engine)

I have read countless times on many threads that with this setup you should not have to do any type of tuning ... but I didn't know if that's why at the PSI levels from 6 to 8 seemed rough or if I was just having the "boost leak" problem as I've read about.

Any advice is once again appreciated.

Thanks!

RoninEclipse2GJun-10-11 03:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#108764, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DarkOne
What are you using as far as injectors? The 8:1 might not be enough, depending. There isn't really anything on the setup to tune, except the bleed valve...

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

740 turbo brickJun-10-11 03:43 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#108765, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 7

I had turbo flutter on my Volvo and it was because the BOV wasnt opening enough or at all. The fluttering you hear is the pressure waves from a sudden throttle close bouncing off the impeller. Eventually can cause turbo damage depending on how severe/boost levels.

Not sure on your cash situation but a Megasquirt ECU will be your friend in the 420A world. Best mod, turbo or non, hands down. If you dont got the dough for that, at the very least get an SAFC. Those wont help as much as MS, but its better than nothing.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Moderatorcs82685Jun-10-11 09:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#108767, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-10-11 09:38 PM by cs82685

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
I had turbo flutter on my Volvo and it was because the BOV wasnt opening enough or at all. The fluttering you hear is the pressure waves from a sudden throttle close bouncing off the impeller. Eventually can cause turbo damage depending on how severe/boost levels. Not sure on your cash situation but a Megasquirt ECU will be your friend in the 420A world. Best mod, turbo or non, hands down. If you dont got the dough for that, at the very least get an SAFC. Those wont help as much as MS, but its better than nothing.

Safc isn't going to help tune in boost, kinda pointless with stock injectors. But yeah the flutter could be compressor surge, where do you have the vac line for your bov sourced from?

Oh and you said you have a wideband hooked up, what kind of readings are you getting under boost? And are these issues in boost at part throttle or full throttle?

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

phoenixwaveJun-11-11 09:21 AM
16 posts,
#108768, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 9

The problems I'm experiencing are pretty much occurring at full open throttle (past 4.5 RPM) and when boost hits 6 to 8 PSI. Other than that the car seems to be running alright ...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-11-11 11:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108769, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by phoenixwave
The problems I'm experiencing are pretty much occurring at full open throttle (past 4.5 RPM) and when boost hits 6 to 8 PSI. Other than that the car seems to be running alright ...

8:1 isn't enough fuel on stock injectors. I'd say you're lean... what sort of A/F are you seeing at max boost?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorCODE4Jun-11-11 11:24 AM
2552 posts,
#108770, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by cs82685
Oh and you said you have a wideband hooked up, what kind of readings are you getting under boost? And are these issues in boost at part throttle or full throttle?

Still need this information...

---

2012 2500HD LML

FabsJul-01-11 03:00 AM
Member since Jun 24th 2011
30 posts,
#108792, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-01-11 03:01 AM by Fabs

Is amazing how you are running lean with that BIG turbo,and your engine just hadn't blow up...

xiDsmmanixJul-23-11 09:30 PM
Member since May 10th 2010
39 posts,
#108837, "RE: Turbo Installed ... now what?"
In response to Reply # 13

Make sure you get on that WBO2 reading's, there crucial to get correct so your engine runs and drives properly under boost.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108757 Previous topic | Next topic