Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108715
View in linear mode

Subject: "T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)" Previous topic | Next topic
phoenixwaveMay-24-11 06:35 PM
Member since May 24th 2011
16 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108715, "T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"

Ok, I apologize if this is mentioned somewhere else please, if it is then please send me that direction and close this thread. I am new and tried to search around to find the possible solution, found one thread mention that the IAC was the culprit but that was about it.

Anyways, I've just installed a new Internal Wastegate V-Band TurboCharger. T3/T4, 8PSI, .63 Trim, .60 A/R along with a FMIC, Greddy Type RS BOV, Missing Link, Braided Oil Line Kit, and other misc. gaskets and fittings etc. I have a 1999 GS (in case you were wondering)

I'm using stock internals because I've read on countless threads that running 8PSI wouldn't harm anything. (*crosses fingers*)

Now I haven't taken it out on the road, but my mechanic says that he thinks it is running too lean. He also mentioned that I would have to send out the ECU to have it tuned. I didn't think that I would have to do that considering I was trying to boost just 8PSI. I have not purchased all the parts I had intended to yet ... I wanted to buy a FMU, a Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit, new Fuel Pump and anything else that I might need along the way.

My questions is this: Would those Fuel management parts solve my "lean" problem without tuning the ECU?

Thanks for any help or advice! I've been using these forums for so much help thus far.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), 740 turbo brick, May-24-11 06:45 PM, #1
RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), Wes Tank, May-24-11 06:51 PM, #2
RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), phoenixwave, May-24-11 06:52 PM, #3
      RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), Wes Tank, May-24-11 06:59 PM, #4
           RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), phoenixwave, May-24-11 07:01 PM, #5
RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-24-11 07:10 PM, #6
RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), phoenixwave, May-24-11 08:09 PM, #7
      RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), brandonwh64, May-25-11 12:24 PM, #8
           RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), phoenixwave, May-26-11 06:38 AM, #9
                RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-26-11 06:59 AM, #10
                     RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean), phoenixwave, May-26-11 07:02 AM, #11

740 turbo brickMay-24-11 06:45 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108716, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 0

Never turbo'd a 420A so I cant tell you about the FMU parts, but I will say that you cannot tune/modify a stock N/A DSM ECU in anyway. They are encased in epoxy. You can get an AFX ECU if you like waiting for months to get a part, or you can go Megasquirt which is well worth the price.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Wes TankMay-24-11 06:51 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#108717, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 1

You need to buy an sfmu before you boost it at all. If you don't get one, you will blow your motor shortly.

phoenixwaveMay-24-11 06:52 PM
16 posts,
#108718, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 1
May-24-11 06:53 PM by phoenixwave

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
You can get an AFX ECU if you like waiting for months to get a part, or you can go Megasquirt which is well worth the price.

Sorry, bit of a rookie if you haven't already guessed it. What is the AFX ECU or the Megasquirt?

Thanks!

Wes TankMay-24-11 06:59 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#108719, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 3

AFX ecu will not help with a boosted 420a. Megasquirt is a standalone computer. If you want info on them do a simple search.

phoenixwaveMay-24-11 07:01 PM
16 posts,
#108720, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Wes Tank
AFX ecu will not help with a boosted 420a. Megasquirt is a standalone computer. If you want info on them do a simple search.

Yep, did a search through Google. Thanks.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-24-11 07:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108721, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome to 2gnt!

The factory ECU isn't tunable, so you can just ignore that concern for now. However, without any sort of variable rate-of-gain fuel pressure reglator (FMU, Super FMU) your setup has no way to provide additional fuel to compensate for the boost you're running. Yes, you'll be dangerously lean under boost, and yes you can cause engine damage even at 8psi without additional fuel. I would disconnect your internal wastegate and block it OPEN to prevent spooling the turbo until such time you can purchase and install an FMU at the least. Your stock injectors on a stock fuel pressure regulator, a 12:1 FMU and upgraded fuel pump (typically a walbro 255 HP) should keep you safe. A wideband gauge would also be a sound investment, I have and recommend the Innovate LC-1 with the XD-16 gauge addon.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

phoenixwaveMay-24-11 08:09 PM
16 posts,
#108722, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DarkOne
Welcome to 2gnt!

That right there is a prime reason why I signed up for this forum. It actually has people that will read a question and actually help someone. I appreciate your time and effort and thank you for the response! That helps a ton.

brandonwh64May-25-11 12:24 PM
Member since Apr 19th 2011
15 posts,
#108723, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 7

You will also need a fuel cut defender as well.

phoenixwaveMay-26-11 06:38 AM
16 posts,
#108724, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks for the tip!

So this is what I've bought since I started this thread:

-Vortech FMU
-Vortech Air Bleed Valve (since I didn't spring for the SFMU)
-Walbro 255 HP
-Turbosmart FCD

My next question is, do you think that I'll be fine for at least a little while running stock injectors (maybe get them cleaned etc.)??

Thanks again!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-26-11 06:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108725, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 9

As long as you keep the boost at reasonable levels and monitor your A/F ratio, yes, you will be fine on stock injectors.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

phoenixwaveMay-26-11 07:02 AM
16 posts,
#108726, "RE: T3/T4 Turbo Help (running Lean)"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah, I don't plan on going past 8PSI because I don't want to change the internals. (already spent enough money on this project as it is)

Hopefully next year I'll have enough saved up and I can rebuild some things and push the PSI up.

Thanks again for the help!

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108715 Previous topic | Next topic