Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108339
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vacuum problem...?" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipserstturboDec-01-10 04:58 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108339, "Vacuum problem...?"

For some reason, out of the blue I can't get more than 10inHg vacuum on my gauge. It's plumbed straight from the intake mani so I know the reading is accurate. However, normal driving, vacuum won't go under 10inHg.

There's no vacuum leaks (at least can't hear any) and the gauge doesn't fluctuate like it use to when there was a small leak. And I've noticed when engine braking, in any gear, the gauge hits 10 and won't go any farther. Like I said it doesn't fluctuate at all like a vacuum leak, but it just won't pull the 18inHg like they do stock.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Dec-01-10 05:54 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108340, "RE: Vacuum problem...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by eclipserstturbo
It's plumbed straight from the intake mani so I know the reading is accurate.

How do you know the gauge is accurate? Or the line or either fitting has no leaks in it?

Just because it is plumbed on a dedicated line does not mean the reading is accurate. Check everything out. At 10 in Hg your idle would be high. Is this the case?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-01-10 06:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108341, "RE: Vacuum problem...?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by eclipserstturbo It's plumbed straight from the intake mani so I know the reading is accurate.
How do you know the gauge is accurate? Or the line or either fitting has no leaks in it? Just because it is plumbed on a dedicated line does not mean the reading is accurate. Check everything out. At 10 in Hg your idle would be high. Is this the case?

Have you verified the reading with a known-good gauge? I've had mechanical boost gauges fail in similar ways.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

eclipserstturboDec-02-10 08:50 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#108345, "RE: Vacuum problem...?"
In response to Reply # 2

I'll try my other boost gauge when I get a chance just to verify. It's still idling fine (900-1050rpm) at 22lbs of fuel on 330cc injectors. There's no loping or unusual behavior at idle and does fine throughout the entire rpm range. Rides exactly like it has since the motor was put in, just won't go past 10inHg. But I'll try switching gauges and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the replies.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108339 Previous topic | Next topic