Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107691
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu" Previous topic | Next topic
97AllMtrMar-17-10 04:15 AM
Member since Jul 20th 2007
175 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107691, "Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
Mar-17-10 04:23 AM by 97AllMtr

This looks like a way better fmu if you can find one cheap!
http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=18112#post18112
It works without a return line, just an extra fuel pump and you're set... After buying all of the ss fuel fittings and hoses etc, you spend probably about the same for the Vortech SFMU anyway. I like the fact that you have 5 different bands of adjustment, so if you're boosting 8 psi, you divide it by 5 which equals 1.6 psi per band! So, you can adjust your ratio for every 1.6 psi! I am not exactly sure if the SFMU is as adjustable as this, but this thing really seems simple to adjust with a wideband. Here's a great write up on how it works that I quoted from.
http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=18112#post18112
Please chime in and add info or correct me if I said anything that wasn't right. I thought I would just share this, I found it interesting.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-17-10 09:36 PM, #1
RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-17-10 10:03 PM, #2
      RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-18-10 02:41 AM, #3
           RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-18-10 06:13 AM, #4
                RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, Moderatorteklein, Mar-18-10 07:32 AM, #5
                     RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-18-10 08:56 PM, #6
                          RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-18-10 10:28 PM, #7
                               RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-18-10 11:35 PM, #8
                                    RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-19-10 12:00 AM, #9
                                         RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-19-10 03:55 AM, #10
                                              RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, eclipse982nrRST, Mar-20-10 03:40 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-20-10 06:21 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-21-10 04:00 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu, 97AllMtr, Mar-23-10 01:23 AM, #14

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-17-10 09:36 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107692, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-17-10 09:36 PM by Star Turbo Talon

its nothing new. Aeromotive has had that out for more then 10 years. If you want to go with then go ahead. its your 500.00

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

97AllMtrMar-17-10 10:03 PM
175 posts,
#107693, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
its nothing new. Aeromotive has had that out for more then 10 years. If you want to go with then go ahead. its your 500.00

Yeah, I know it's been around for a while, just haven't seen anyone with a 2gnt use it. Like I said in my first post, if you can find one cheap, it would be worth it. If the price was the same as the SFMU, do you think it would work better? I know you know what you are talking about 99% time, so what do you think about it Terry? Any draw backs? Looks like the limit on boost is 15psi. Is it "better" than the SFMU, if the price was right? (more ability to control)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-18-10 02:41 AM
8331 posts,
#107694, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 2

Its def better than a SFMU. SFMU has a linear boost/pressure curve where the Aeromotive has 5 points of adjustability within that same curve. What does this mean? Well at low boost you could be choosing a 4:1 slope but at higher boost you may benefit from 6:1 slope. With the Aeromotive you have more adjustability.

The reason you dont see 2gnts with them.....owners are cheap asses.

With the 15 psi max boost reference you can tell this was designed for older cars since most street blower setups only run 6-15psi on a v8. Doesnt mean it wont work for you though. With a 15psi max I would consider a Higher compression turbo motor. At low compression your going to be at 15psi starting. You will surpass this unit before you really get accustomed to it.

You also need to consider that this FMU is designed for a RETURN-LESS fuel system you would need to make the necessary changes to accomodate.

97AllMtrMar-18-10 06:13 AM
175 posts,
#107695, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 3

Its def better than a SFMU. SFMU has a linear boost/pressure curve where the Aeromotive has 5 points of adjustability within that same curve. What does this mean? Well at low boost you could be choosing a 4:1 slope but at higher boost you may benefit from 6:1 slope. With the Aeromotive you have more adjustability. The reason you dont see 2gnts with them.....owners are cheap asses. With the 15 psi max boost reference you can tell this was designed for older cars since most street blower setups only run 6-15psi on a v8. Doesnt mean it wont work for you though. With a 15psi max I would consider a Higher compression turbo motor. At low compression your going to be at 15psi starting. You will surpass this unit before you really get accustomed to it. You also need to consider that this FMU is designed for a RETURN-LESS fuel system you would need to make the necessary changes to accomodate.

So, I have a 97, and am about to set up for an sfmu like my 98 that I have already. Should I just leave the fuel system as is and install the Aeromotive system with the external fuel pump? Because these are considered return less systems correct? I have a 97 and took out the FPR and then added the sfmu with the return line, so I made it a system with a return line correct?

ModeratortekleinMar-18-10 07:32 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#107696, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 97AllMtr
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon Its def better than a SFMU. SFMU has a linear boost/pressure curve where the Aeromotive has 5 points of adjustability within that same curve. What does this mean? Well at low boost you could be choosing a 4:1 slope but at higher boost you may benefit from 6:1 slope. With the Aeromotive you have more adjustability. The reason you dont see 2gnts with them.....owners are cheap asses. With the 15 psi max boost reference you can tell this was designed for older cars since most street blower setups only run 6-15psi on a v8. Doesnt mean it wont work for you though. With a 15psi max I would consider a Higher compression turbo motor. At low compression your going to be at 15psi starting. You will surpass this unit before you really get accustomed to it. You also need to consider that this FMU is designed for a RETURN-LESS fuel system you would need to make the necessary changes to accomodate.
So, I have a 97, and am about to set up for an sfmu like my 98 that I have already. Should I just leave the fuel system as is and install the Aeromotive system with the external fuel pump? Because these are considered return less systems correct? I have a 97 and took out the FPR and then added the sfmu with the return line, so I made it a system with a return line correct?

Correct, your fuel system is now a return.

You would need to switch it back to returnless.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-18-10 08:56 PM
8331 posts,
#107703, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 5

NO. Our fuel systems have a return line from the factory. Its by the gas tank.

You need to plug the return port on the tank and remove the factory filter assy.

You should only have one line from the tank and the return port on the tank plugged off.

The digital FMU alters power to the pump to maintain fuel pressure

97AllMtrMar-18-10 10:28 PM
175 posts,
#107704, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-18-10 10:29 PM by 97AllMtr

NO. Our fuel systems have a return line from the factory. Its by the gas tank. You need to plug the return port on the tank and remove the factory filter assy. You should only have one line from the tank and the return port on the tank plugged off. The digital FMU alters power to the pump to maintain fuel pressure

So wait, from what I have been reading here: http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=18112#post18112 It says I need this external pump along with the factory one (I have a Walbro 255 installed already) This pump http://aeromotive.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/69221/11109?osCsid=5da150c7f9f029cd2b6616ac4227bb30 Are you saying if I have a Walbro 255, I don't need the external pump? Would my car have drivability problems in "non boosting conditions" if I blocked the return line? Thanks a million for the info btw.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-18-10 11:35 PM
8331 posts,
#107705, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 7

This is my last post since I am not here to spoon feed you.

if you run the external pump after the factory regulator then you can leave the intake setup the way it is. The Secondary pump must be placed downstream from the factory regulator and there must not be any type of regulator after the secondary fuel pump.

Read the instruction before you ask anymore questions.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/16303.pdf

97AllMtrMar-19-10 12:00 AM
175 posts,
#107706, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 8

if you run the external pump after the factory regulator then you can leave the intake setup the way it is. http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/16303.pdf

Wait, you mean fuel setup?

97AllMtrMar-19-10 03:55 AM
175 posts,
#107707, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-19-10 04:08 AM by 97AllMtr

Okay, read the directions, and from what I gather from it and from what you said, I have come up with the following... From the gas tank, I have the Walbro 255 fuel pump, to oem fpr, to fuel filter, to Aeromotive external pump controlled by the DFMU, to the fuel rail. Is this correct? Do I block the line from the FPR back to the tank and block the return spot on the tank? If yes, will this affect the cars ability to run/idle before boost? OR, do you mean I can have the system completely stock and just add the external fuel pump after the FPR and call it a day? (<------I think it's this way) Help me out

eclipse982nrRSTMar-20-10 03:40 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#107708, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 10

KAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

You are clueless on how this works, therefor, I would recommend you NOT using it.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

97AllMtrMar-20-10 06:21 PM
175 posts,
#107709, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 11
Mar-20-10 06:23 PM by 97AllMtr

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
KAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. You are clueless on how this works, therefor, I would recommend you NOT using it.

Wow, I'm pretty sure I know how it works, just a little confused on how the inline pump is installed. My god, instead of wasting time and just bashing, how about someone helps me out here..... Okay? I know how the unit works, I just want someone to help me out and tell me where the inline pump goes on and what I need to take off/put on etc... Please. From the tank, I have a Walbro 255, then the stock FPR, do I take out the return line to the tank from the stock FPR? (I have a 98) Or do I leave the fuel system stock and add the Inline pump after the stock FPR? So far the system is stock and unmodified besides the Walbro Pump (which I'm assuming I don't even need with this).

97AllMtrMar-21-10 04:00 AM
175 posts,
#107710, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 12
Mar-21-10 04:01 AM by 97AllMtr

Will someone please help me? I thought that was what this forum was for........ Please correct me if I am wrong. I am going to leave everything stock on the fuel system besides already having a Walbro 255 in the tank. I will then install the external pump after the FPR and hook up the DFMU according to directions. So it still has the return line going into the tank, but it has the external pump going to the rail without a return to the tank. Is this correct?

97AllMtrMar-23-10 01:23 AM
175 posts,
#107711, "RE: Thinking of ditching my SFMU and getting this instead. aeromotive 16303 electronic fmu"
In response to Reply # 13

DAMN, nevermind, I found it on the instructions.......Imagine that huh? It was the only spot I missed, at the very top too. So, anyone who is interested in using this in the future, if you have a stock setup with the FPR by the tank and no return line from the fuel rail, you just install the external fuel pump inline between the rail and the FPR. So the order goes, fuel tank to filter/FPR, External Pump, then Fuel rail. As of right now I am going to stick with the SFMU as this setup is somewhat expensive. Here's the latest system from Aeromotive though. This one is programmable and allows 30points of adjustment up to 30psi.
http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/accessories-electronics/16303-digital-programmable-fmu/

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107691 Previous topic | Next topic