Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106600
View in linear mode

Subject: "14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you" Previous topic | Next topic
freshlaneJun-03-09 11:47 PM
Member since May 15th 2009
16 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106600, "14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"

So tonight I finished up my turbo setup. I'm using a 1g stock side mount intercooler, 1g stock intercooler piping, Greddy RS blow off valve, Custom oil drail line.

Issues: The only problems I have ran into so far are; 1) The actual bolting on turbo onto manifold. I had to remove studs from stock header and cut slots into the hole area so the bolts could slide in from the side. Otherwise it would not clear area above manifold flange. 2) The o2 housing on the stock 14b leaves it pointed towards radiator. The down pipe will basically need to be a quick 90 degree angle back toward the oil pan. 3) The stock jpipe is a tight fit. You must attach intercooler piping then bolt to turbo. For this setup I removed my AC so it would fit within space. So far with everything I have only spent about $300

Turbo/o2 housing/j pipe: $60
Autometer boost gauge: $50
Intercooler and piping: $30
Oil drain parts: $20
Sandwich adapter: $30
Pipe w/ Greddy RS: $100

I still need to mock up the oil feed line and find an FMU.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-03-09 11:50 PM, #1
RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Mike431635, Jun-04-09 06:45 AM, #2
RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-04-09 09:45 AM, #3
      RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-04-09 12:00 PM, #4
      RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-04-09 02:27 PM, #5
           RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-07-09 12:30 AM, #6
                RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-07-09 12:32 AM, #7
                RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-07-09 07:15 AM, #8
                     RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Cyexmaster, Jun-07-09 12:01 PM, #9
                          RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-09-09 06:22 AM, #10
                               RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, TeamDR1665, Jun-09-09 01:59 PM, #11
                                    RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Cyexmaster, Jun-10-09 08:40 PM, #12
                                         RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-11-09 07:11 AM, #13
                                              RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, DanKid, Jun-11-09 08:01 AM, #14
                                              RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-11-09 08:06 AM, #15
                                                   RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-12-09 08:09 AM, #16
                                                        RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-12-09 08:10 AM, #17
                                                             RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, DanKid, Jun-12-09 12:39 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-13-09 01:22 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jun-13-09 07:13 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, turbo8u, Jun-17-09 07:26 PM, #21
                                                                                 RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, ez, Jun-17-09 09:32 PM, #22
                                                                                      RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Boosted_Talon98, Jun-18-09 07:08 AM, #23
      RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, hazard_eclipse, Jul-01-09 05:01 PM, #24
           RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, SilvrEclips, Jul-07-09 09:29 PM, #25
                RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, Hedge, Jul-13-09 11:12 AM, #26
                     RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you, freshlane, Jul-23-09 03:07 PM, #27

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-03-09 11:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#106601, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 0

That's a reat start. Way to work with whatcha got!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Mike431635Jun-04-09 06:45 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2009
161 posts,
#106604, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 1

I would recommend not using the sandwich adapter as your feed. Tapping the back of the block is really simple and cheap as well, and its the "right" way to do it.

But looks good. Would love to see more detailed pics.

freshlaneJun-04-09 09:45 AM
16 posts,
#106605, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 1

I was going to use the oil pressure sender location but it is so much of a b!tch to get to and barely any room to work around. Kudos to everybody that was able to use it. I just couldn't deal with the headache. Also, another member on here is using the sandwich adapter and hasn't had problems or leaks so I opted for the easier of the two evils. BTW, dropping and tapping that oil pan was a p.i.t.a

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-04-09 12:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#106606, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 3

Nice job man, you're on your way! What are your plans for fuel?

I contributed to the Wiki.

freshlaneJun-04-09 02:27 PM
16 posts,
#106607, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 4

I picked up a Paxton FMU today for $60. It was a steal. I'm going to stick with the fmu @ 7psi. I'm connecting the jpipe off the turbo straight to the stock wastegate. Everything is ready to go except finishing the exhaust & oil feed line routing. I can't wait till it is finished.

freshlaneJun-07-09 12:30 AM
16 posts,
#106631, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 5

Car was finished yesterday morning. Today I put in 110oct and it was good to go. Boosting currently 8psi and a/f is almost perfect at WOT. Huge difference on these cars. I made my kit for a grand total of about $500 after getting custom exhaust work done to clear radiator.

freshlaneJun-07-09 12:32 AM
16 posts,
#106632, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 6

I used break line tubing for the oil feed and fuel hosing for the union points where it comes off the sandwich adapter and where the line connects to the stock turbo banjo flange.

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-07-09 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#106633, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-07-09 07:15 AM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by freshlane
Car was finished yesterday morning. Today I put in 110oct and it was good to go. Boosting currently 8psi and a/f is almost perfect at WOT. Huge difference on these cars. I made my kit for a grand total of about $500 after getting custom exhaust work done to clear radiator.

Nice! I love reusing/altering stock. And an economy build to boot Right up my alley.

Couple of questions, why the 110oct? And how long do you think that 4 way union on the mani is going to last without cracking?

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

CyexmasterJun-07-09 12:01 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
#106635, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 8

Nice job man! would love to see more detailed pics!

I would recomend porting out the mani and hot side of the turbo a lil flow wont hurt lol. BTW what diameter exhaust did you use 2.5 ?

Also might want to use the heat wrap on the down pipe to reduce the engine bay temp. And the stock header heat shield for extra sleeper ... got to love that sleeper kit. Bet you are having lots of fun boosting!

Got to say that boost is so addictive!

I started with 4psi, then 8, then 10 and then 12psi. I did get 241whp @ 10psi with nothing to tune execept my 1:1 FPR. that with a side mount and a ported intake mani that I ported my self with a dremel and a Modern Performance throttle I used 2.5 all the way from the turbo till the back; with no resonators or cat. Hope that helps you.

Let us know how it turns out!

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

freshlaneJun-09-09 06:22 AM
16 posts,
#106637, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 9

1:1 FPR? Explain please. In response to the question on cracking... I would give it about 2-3 months as it stands right now. As you know that is A LOT of weight to be hanging off a stock header. Hopefully today I will be able to rig/weld some sort of support for the turbo & manifold. I also plan to heat wrap the manifold to lessen the risk and keep temps down as bulletdsm said. I was running 110oct just to be on the safe side for the first time I floored it. The AC would probably work with this setup. I took mine out because it was not being used any how. The radiator fan had to be trimmed a little bit in order to avoid hitting the wastegate on the turbo. I'll try and get some more pictures up once I get out of class. Nothing like school at 7am.

TeamDR1665Jun-09-09 01:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#106638, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 10

That's bad ass. Glad to see someone actually do this.

Bonus points if you can snap some clearer pictures and put together a basic write up for the wiki! This is something that a LOT of people should be considering.

CyexmasterJun-10-09 08:40 PM
324 posts,
#106644, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 11

1:1 ratio, FPR= fuel pressure regulator

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

freshlaneJun-11-09 07:11 AM
16 posts,
#106647, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 12

I put in new spark plugs gapped to .32 and the car pulls like normal. No cruising drivability issues and it pulls super hard all the way up to redline.

DanKidJun-11-09 08:01 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#106648, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 13

Nice work man. I would also like to see clearer pictures but so far it looks like a clean install. Way better looking that hacking up a NT manifold and Turbo manifold and welding them together like I saw one guy do.

You're going to love that 14b turbo. The super fast spool and decent power up top will keep you happy for a while.

freshlaneJun-11-09 08:06 AM
16 posts,
#106649, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 13

How I did it:

Parts: Most of these parts can be found from 1g and/or 2g turbo DSMs. The turbo is interchangable with the t25 and the sidemount will function and mount the same as well. For our boost levels we really wont need a intercooler but it is suggested for added security.

* Stock 420a header
1g/2g 14b or t25 turbocharger (w/ o2housing, waste gate, feedline, oil return line & j-pipe)
* 1g/2g side mount intercooler (w/ stock upper and lower intercooler piping)
* FMU w/ rate of 14:1 or 12:1
* Oil return barbed fitting (must be roughly the same diameter of the stock oil return fitting on the turbo). I used a brass fitting however if you are going to be welding this in you will need a harder metal.
* JB weld or a friendly cheap welder
* Brake line
* 2.5in pipe w/ flange for blow off valve
* Fuel line (diameters that match the oil return line & brake line)
* Glow shift oil filter sandwich adapter
* Hose clamps for (4) oil feed line and (2)oil return

Optional:
* Boostgauge (just to be on safe side - the turbo jpipe hooked directly up to the waste gate will be arounf 7-8psi. This is just for added security and to keep a eye on things)
* Universal slim fan (keeps engine temps lower to make up for the addition of the turbo).
* Couplers (2.5 to 2.5 in couplers - YOU NEED TWO)
* 2.5in to 1 7/8 exhaust adapter

Tools:

* Brake line bender
* Cut off tool
* Various sockets & Rachet
* Screw drivers
* Wire strippers
* Electric tape

I may have forgot some things. They wil appear as the write up is made.

I made this whole kit for about $500 +/- $50. If you can find people selling the parts locally jump on it and get them. The FMUs are best found from Honda owners parting out their turbo vehicles. The usually have some DSM turbos for sale also. Stay tuned.

freshlaneJun-12-09 08:09 AM
16 posts,
#106651, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 15

Showing how much clearance there is between block and turbo

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0678/CIMG1479>

Location of stock side mount intercooler. Notice it needs to be tilted slighty forward to work. Also the sheet of metal underneath fuse box inside engine bay will need to be slightly cut to fit upper pipe.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0829/CIMG1475>

Paxton FMU underneath upper intercooler pipe.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0120/CIMG1474>

Showing fitment of upper and lower intercooler piping.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0522/CIMG1473>

The brake line coming off the turbo goes to the oil filter housing and attaches to the glow shift sandwich adapter.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0828/CIMG1472>

Showing fitment of turbo to housing

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0626/CIMG1471>

The header must be slotted to allow bolts to fit. The taper on the stock header will not allow them to go straight down untill they clear the taper. NOTE: Stock studs must be removed unless you drill out holes on turbo side of manifold. I chose not to drill out turbo for the fact that this way I may swap another dsm turbo out easily.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0433/CIMG1470>

Overall shot of engine bay.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0731/CIMG1469>

freshlaneJun-12-09 08:10 AM
16 posts,
#106652, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 16

NOTE: Fan shroud must be slotted to avoid the stock waste gate on turbo from hitting it.

DanKidJun-12-09 12:39 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#106653, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 17

Nice job again bro. Just clean up the engine bay a little and take care of that rust forming on the driver side strut tower before it becomes a major problem down the road.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-13-09 01:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#106654, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 18

You should add that to the wiki.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

freshlaneJun-13-09 07:13 AM
16 posts,
#106655, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by DarkOne
You should add that to the wiki.

I don't know how. Also, I will get the rust fixed as soon as I come across some more cash. I want to add WOWWWWW.... our transmissions in 2nd gear are already amazing..... with boost they are unbelievable.

turbo8uJun-17-09 07:26 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#106687, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by freshlane
Originally posted by DarkOne You should add that to the wiki.
I don't know how. Also, I will get the rust fixed as soon as I come across some more cash. I want to add WOWWWWW.... our transmissions in 2nd gear are already amazing..... with boost they are unbelievable.

try out some neon gears and a bigger motor or higher CR

i like 2nd too

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

ezJun-17-09 09:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#106688, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 21

That is some serious mcgyver-spec work there. I'm impressed!

ditto on 2nd gear, when you first go above 10 psi

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Boosted_Talon98Jun-18-09 07:08 AM
Member since Mar 05th 2009
85 posts,
#106689, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 22

+1 if you can catch 3rd ..LOL

hazard_eclipseJul-01-09 05:01 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2009
95 posts,
#106800, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm using the sandwich plate adapter as the oil feed and haven't had any problems either. just make sure you Teflon tape all connections.

wiki homepage: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Hazard_Eclipse

19:22:36 ‹hazard_eclipse› btw disclaimer: I am NOT hazardeclipse
19:23:10 ‹ez› 19:14:00 ‹hazard_eclipse› i honestly hate yellow.
19:23:25 ‹hazard_eclipse› lol good you saw that
19:23:55 ‹ez› you should put that in your sig

SilvrEclipsJul-07-09 09:29 PM
534 posts,
#106853, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 24

I have been running a td05 20g on the stock manifold for a few months now. I fabbed up an adapter so that I could use all the bolts on the turbo to help prevent leaks. I also was able to keep the AC compressor by routing the exhaust around it. It was a PITA but its possible. Glad to see someone else attemp this. Good job

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

HedgeJul-13-09 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#106902, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 25

This is really making me want to try this. I agree with everyone else about adding this to the wiki. The only thing that i would be worried about is running 7psi on stock internals.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

freshlaneJul-23-09 03:07 PM
16 posts,
#106977, "RE: 14b on stock manifold - I did it so can you"
In response to Reply # 26

Don't worry about 7psi on your internals. They can take it. I was boost 8-9psi before I sold the 2g (yes I sold it .... and bought a tsi awd). They can take it. Just keep up on your normal maintenance

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #106600 Previous topic | Next topic