Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #1060
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo and passing emissions..." Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseMGPJan-21-01 02:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1060, "Turbo and passing emissions..."

Hey turbo people, I actually have enough money now to get a star stage one. My question is, how do you turbo guys pass emissions? Even if you do pass emissions, won't you fail visual? I imagine CA is the hardest to pass. I live in PA and we only just introduced the stricter emissions standards 2 years ago. Any help would be appreciated!!

'98 Eclipse RS (gone)
'07 Elantra GLS (need the room)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., Dave16gt, Jan-21-01 04:38 AM, #1
RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., EclipseMGP, Jan-21-01 07:12 AM, #2
      RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., Dave16gt, Jan-21-01 08:36 AM, #3
           RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., BoostnRS, Jan-21-01 08:50 AM, #4
RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., TeamMuRiX, Jan-21-01 11:42 PM, #5
RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., TeamStan2gnt, Jan-22-01 12:46 AM, #6
      RE: Turbo and passing emissions..., MWC, Jan-22-01 01:52 AM, #7

Dave16gtJan-21-01 04:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
38 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1061, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hey I live in PA also, last year they got rid of the emissions tests. So for now you don't have to worry about it at all. But even if they had emissions tests, you should be fine with the sage one kit.

Dave

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseMGPJan-21-01 07:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#1062, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 1

maybe they got rid of the test where you live but not near me. I live right outside of philly. Check out this link

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/

'98 Eclipse RS (gone)
'07 Elantra GLS (need the room)

Dave16gtJan-21-01 08:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
38 posts,
#1063, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry about that, I live in lehigh county, about an hour north of philly. We dont have the emissions tests. But as long as you keep your cat on the stage one or two kit will pass emissons. If you really want to know I would call star, they should be able to tell you if it will pass or not, but you should not have a problem with that.

Dave

BoostnRSJan-21-01 08:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#1064, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 3

Your TurboGS should have no problems passing emissions.
The only thing to consider is that, your car will definately fail visual if you have an open atmosphere dumptube..
Before doing smog make sure you dumptube is connected to your exhaust system, you cat is on, and all vacuum lines are properly connected..

Good luck !

TeamMuRiXJan-21-01 11:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#1065, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 0

I passed emissions here in GA witha rebuilt engine and Stage II HRC no problem. I don't think the mechanics really know what they were looking at. People are giving some of these shops too much credit to know what it's 'supposed' to look like under our hoods.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage II
And a whole lot of other mods...
89 Accord LSi - yes it's mine
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

TeamStan2gntJan-22-01 12:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#1066, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 5

There you go take it to the most red neck backyard garage you can find that does inspections. They wont want to work on a modern car anyway so you wont have to worry about getting BS for uneccessary repairs. My engine is hardly turbo but I went in with a breather filter on the valve cover everything you see in the pic plus a full bottle of nitrous and check engine light. I have loose ass forged pistons too. Oh and ion blue projectors, plasma blue bumber bulbs, hyperwhite turn signal and hyperwhite sidemarkers. Not only did I pass (even the tail pipe smog test to my suprise) me and the guy who inspected my car had a nice conversation about the advantages/disadvantages of Nitrous/Turbo/Superchargers. Believe me if somebody passed my car anybody outside CA should be able to get by (hope they're there next year).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

MWCJan-22-01 01:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#1067, "RE: Turbo and passing emissions..."
In response to Reply # 6

Thats great Stan, but as I remember CA, $40 got any car to pass. I know cause my El camino had a fully built motor sporting dual Holley 600's and headers along with a high rise manifold. And it even passed the Visual! lol
SEE YA!!!!!!!!MWC

http://smkn95eclipsemwc.homestead.com/mainpage.html

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #1060 Previous topic | Next topic