Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #103504
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bolt On Turbo Kit Question" Previous topic | Next topic
zwickyjMay-06-08 09:47 AM
Member since Aug 12th 2006
51 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103504, "Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"

I've searched through the site and find everyones opinions on what is needed, but am really looking for what is needed for a standard 5-7 lbs boost. I've purchased and currently have the following as it came saying "bolt on ready kit"
To4E Turbocharger
Turbo Manifold
38MM Wastgate
Oil Feed Kit
MBC
Intercooler Piping, Couplers, BOV
FMIC

What else would I need to run. Is a new fuel pump neccecary for a low boost application like I am wanting to do?

Any links you guys have saved to the sticky at the top, looks like all the links are down.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, eclipse982nrRST, May-06-08 10:06 AM, #1
RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, RoninEclipse2G, May-06-08 10:30 AM, #2
RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, 2GeclipseRS, May-07-08 08:52 AM, #3
      RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, ez, May-07-08 03:17 PM, #4
      RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, totaleclipse_05, May-07-08 06:27 PM, #5
           RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, RSTeclipse97, May-09-08 01:43 PM, #6
                RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question, navyguns, Jun-01-08 07:04 AM, #7

eclipse982nrRSTMay-06-08 10:06 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103505, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 0
May-06-08 11:47 AM by DarkOne

You are missing...

-Oil return line
-Boost gauge
-FCD or Missing Link
-Yes, you need a fuel pump
-12:1 FMU or a Vortec SFMU
-Downpipe

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GMay-06-08 10:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103506, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 0

bigger pump/injectors FCD and FMU/SFMU is always recommended when you plan to go into forced induction. a few people have gotten away without but usually not for long

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

2GeclipseRSMay-07-08 08:52 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#103509, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 2

I've seen ghetto fuel support where the return is crimped with vise grips. Works....but not for long.

Upgrade to a bigger fuel pump for sure. Walbro makes a couple units for our cars. 190 and 255 high pressure. Yes, they're loud but they work. You can also use an accel inline or the like. You can be cheap and grab a gst/x fuel pump from a junkyard. You should be fine but mechanical fuel management may still ask for more fuel than that pump can supply and cause problems.

Fuel system upgrade is a must. I get flammed on some sites about fmu's but they work and are fine for what you're wanting to do. Personally, i'd go with an sfmu just so you dont have to get one later. You'll want more boost. You can get dsm 450's with a resistor pack for around $30-50 on most car forums and egay.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

ezMay-07-08 03:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#103510, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
Walbro makes a couple units for our cars. 190 and 255 high pressure. Yes, they're loud but they work.

I've heard that the 190lph is not audible, but that the 255 is loud.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

totaleclipse_05May-07-08 06:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#103511, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I've seen ghetto fuel support where the return is crimped with vise grips. Works....but not for long. Upgrade to a bigger fuel pump for sure. Walbro makes a couple units for our cars. 190 and 255 high pressure. Yes, they're loud but they work. You can also use an accel inline or the like. You can be cheap and grab a gst/x fuel pump from a junkyard. You should be fine but mechanical fuel management may still ask for more fuel than that pump can supply and cause problems. Fuel system upgrade is a must. I get flammed on some sites about fmu's but they work and are fine for what you're wanting to do. Personally, i'd go with an sfmu just so you dont have to get one later. You'll want more boost. You can get dsm 450's with a resistor pack for around $30-50 on most car forums and egay.

Crimping the return line with a vice grip will strain your pump whenever it is running because of the higher fuel pressure it will constantly be putting out. Hardly advice I would be telling people.

A 255 HP Pump is really the only option to be going for if you are going to turbo a 420a. GST/GSX stock pumps may be able to pump out a larger volume of fuel, but not be able to sustain higher fuel pressures that an FMU setup would be requiring.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

RSTeclipse97May-09-08 01:43 PM
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
28 posts,
#103516, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Definately the fuel system stuff as mentioned above. Also you will want more than 5-7 psi. I tried that it sucked, 9-10psi sucks and at 12 i start liking it and 15 is great and shooting for 18 psi as soon as i get my sfmu. I would say get the sfmu and dont mess with the basic fmu cause youll want it sooner than you think. I got a TRE performance pump from ebay and its only loud when i first turn the key and it starts to pump, other than that i never hear it. Keep us updated on your build man

Boosted 420a - Bring on the 4g63's

navygunsJun-01-08 07:04 AM
Member since May 13th 2008
43 posts,
#103709, "RE: Bolt On Turbo Kit Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by RSTeclipse97
Definately the fuel system stuff as mentioned above. Also you will want more than 5-7 psi. I tried that it sucked, 9-10psi sucks and at 12 i start liking it and 15 is great and shooting for 18 psi as soon as i get my sfmu. I would say get the sfmu and dont mess with the basic fmu cause youll want it sooner than you think. I got a TRE performance pump from ebay and its only loud when i first turn the key and it starts to pump, other than that i never hear it. Keep us updated on your build man

I was looking at those TRE fuel pumps, they actually look alright from the photos. are you happy with it? how long have you run it?

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #103504 Previous topic | Next topic