Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100886
View in linear mode

Subject: "Review of Treadstone Kit" Previous topic | Next topic
DSMTalonJul-22-07 07:51 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2005
267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100886, "Review of Treadstone Kit"

well i figure i might as well throw down some info about the treadstone turbo kit since i recently bought one and not too many people are running them yet. as far as the kit goes heres my take on it:

Intercooler:
Ive seen pictures of the intercooler they ship with the kit (TRV18.5) and once its mounted up...it aint pretty. it requires removal of the front impact brace, which wasnt even a consideration for my application. Hence, enter the TR6 intercooler which fits below the brace quite nicely and still flows pretty well. going this route requires extra piping that they sell separately from the kit and they have no idea what is necessary to plumb it up. Otherwise, the intercooler looks REALLY well built.

Turbo Manifold:
This thing is pretty beefy, and seems pretty well built. Really about the only complaint on this is that a few of the bolts are a PITA to get a wrench on( especially the one below the turbo flange) but otherwise its pretty nice.

Turbo:
What can i say you pick what you want from their inventory of turbonetics turbos.

Wastegate:
They give you a turbonetics evolution wastegate with the kit, along with a 5,7,9 psi spring kit. it looks pretty and bolts on well. otherwise i have no experience with this wastegate.

BOV:
The kit comes with your choice of a Greddy or HKS BOV flange, but the actual BOV is not included with the kit. It costs extra.

Oil Supply line kit:
This is one aspect of the kit that really sucks. There is absolutely no provisions for teeing off the Oil Pressure sender, nor is there any fittings for the return tube to the oil pan, theres just a flange for the bottom of the turbo.

Fuel System:
What fuel system? they give you NOTHING for the fuel system. Which is both a blessing and a curse. blessing because you dont have a bunch of junk parts( read:accel inline fuel pump that comes with hahn kit) so you can build your fuel system to your needs. Bad because this kit is far from a bolt on kit. They dont even sell you a FCD with the kit, it 's extra.

piping & air filter:
the piping is polished and looks pretty.lol. When it comes to actually plumbing up the turbo system this kit seems a bit inadequate, as the kit only comes with piping for a TR18.5 intercooler. even then it seems like there isn’t enough piping for that. The exhaust down pipe and wastegate dump tube are also pretty good looking. the flanges for them are pretty thick and the welds look good. the dump tube for the wastegate fits on nicely and doesn’t interfere with the A/C compressor, but the down pipe off the turbo does not allow for the factory A/C condenser cooling fan. There is a provision on the downpipe for an O2 sensor, and next to the flange is a nut that's welded onto it, that may be for a pyrometer( but i dont see how that can work). As far as the airfilter this is a total unknown to me. I'm not even going to try to guess as to its quality or anything of that sort. I'll just suffice to say its a conical air filter.

Overall: overall the kit seems a bit on the expensive side considering you get no fuel system components, no FCD, no BOV, and no instructions . However with the info on this site, installing the kit and building a fuel system is no problem at all. So far (im not even part way through the install yet) the only fitment issues ive run into is that the turbo interferes with the engine hanger on the exhaust side of the head.

Sanity's Eclipse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-25-07 10:44 AM, #1
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, ivan300, Jul-25-07 09:04 PM, #2
      RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, Moderatorcs82685, Jul-26-07 05:08 AM, #3
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, VelocitaPaola, Jul-26-07 06:39 AM, #4
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, dsmtuner1, Jul-26-07 10:52 AM, #5
      RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, DSMTalon, Jul-26-07 06:00 PM, #6
           RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, lild14, Jul-28-07 08:29 AM, #7
                RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, DSMTalon, Jul-29-07 01:40 PM, #8
                     RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, DSMTalon, Aug-04-07 07:08 PM, #9
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, eclipsederek, Aug-23-07 05:31 AM, #10
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, totaleclipse_05, Aug-23-07 06:48 AM, #11
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, DSMTalon, Aug-23-07 07:10 PM, #12
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, eclipsederek, Aug-24-07 07:54 AM, #13
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, Noogabox, Mar-04-08 01:26 PM, #14
RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, halfasss101, Jul-03-08 08:31 AM, #15
      RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, totaleclipse_05, Jul-04-08 08:04 PM, #16
           RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-07-08 06:54 AM, #17
                RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, rsdsm95, Jul-10-08 03:39 AM, #18
                     RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, 96TurboGS, Jul-10-08 06:41 AM, #19
                          RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, halfasss101, Jul-10-08 08:51 AM, #20
                               RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, totaleclipse_05, Jul-10-08 04:16 PM, #21
                                    RE: Review of Treadstone Kit, halfasss101, Jul-10-08 10:00 PM, #22

2GeclipseRSJul-25-07 10:44 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100930, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0

My review of pre-fab turbo kits:

Waste of money.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ivan300Jul-25-07 09:04 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
#100940, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 1

i wanna also add my experience.

i did not mind the TRV18.5 intercooler, It does not fill up all the space and the bumper support has to be cut. Other than that its a well made beefy intercooler.

In the last pic the bumper looks a little bent in the bottom. That is because i didn't cut it yet to fit perfectly i was too anxious to drive it haha.

I have to agree 100% with the oil fittings. Mine came with a bunch off fittings but they were all the wrong size. It is not a big deal though as they are readly available and cheap.

I am very satisfied with this kit. For the price its unbeatable.

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

Moderatorcs82685Jul-26-07 05:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100946, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 2

*cough* wiki contribution *cough*

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

VelocitaPaolaJul-26-07 06:39 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#100947, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-26-07 06:39 AM by VelocitaPaola

Originally posted by DSMTalon
They dont even sell you a FCD with the kit, it 's extra.

It may come separate, but it's a damn good FCD they sell...

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

dsmtuner1Jul-26-07 10:52 AM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
#100953, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Originally posted by DSMTalon They dont even sell you a FCD with the kit, it 's extra.
It may come separate, but it's a damn good FCD they sell... -http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

LOL, cause they buy them through you, loser

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

DSMTalonJul-26-07 06:00 PM
267 posts,
#100959, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-26-07 06:07 PM by DSMTalon

ill agree the FCD is a pretty nice unit i ended up purchasing mine last weekend,however id recommend buying it through www.symtechlabs.com as its cheaper. and the instructions for the unit are very clear and detailed. which is more than i can say for the kit. well now that the kit is fully installed here are some more things ive noticed for those looking to install this kit in the future. the first is that youre gonna need an extension pipe of some sort to get the air filter they supply to fit, because it hits against the heater core hard lines on the exhaust side of the engine. the other thing is that the down pipe didnt allow for me to put the condenser fan back on the passenger side of the radiator..it swings out too far. it looks like theres still enough room for a slim line fan, but thats something that people may run into. other than the other usual things such as plumbing up the intercooler and connecting the downpipe, the install is pretty smooth. i would say that probably the biggest downfall( to me at this point anyway cuz my car is together but it doesnt run right) is the lack of any sort of fuel system setup. as far as fitment of the TR6 unit and whether or not it will fill up the opening in the front bumper, if i remember ill snap a pic of mine tomorrow( i dont have the eclipse front bumper, im working on a body kit install) with the front bumper cover off and someone else can be the judge.

Sanity's Eclipse

lild14Jul-28-07 08:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#100987, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 6

could you post a pic of that down pipe installed on the car? thanks

=Dan=

98rs eclipse- Mods: BC2, C/F hood, custom turbo system consisting of a PTE SC50, turbosmart ultra gate (10psi), star FMIC and pipes, SFMU, HKS SSQV, 3" V-BAND downpipe from ATP, Zeitronix Wideband LCD displaying boost, egt and 02. *** SOLD and will be missed***

2006 gsxr 750- jardine gp1 exhaust, -1,+2 stealth sprockets, DID 525 chain, JD products pro TRE. 0-60 in a sneeze. ran a 10.8 avg 1/4 mile my first time to the track on street tires, stock swingarm and unstrapped.

DSMTalonJul-29-07 01:40 PM
267 posts,
#101003, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 7

heres a pic of the intercooler. sorry its a crappy pic, but my digital camera is down so i snapped a pic of it with my palm. ill get a picture of the downpipe tomorrow and put it up.

Sanity's Eclipse

DSMTalonAug-04-07 07:08 PM
267 posts,
#101083, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 8

heres the downpipe

Sanity's Eclipse

eclipsederekAug-23-07 05:31 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2007
11 posts,
#101313, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0

I bought this kit about 3 months ago and for the cost of it I love it. The only problems I had with the kit is that I had to buy extra parts for the oil feed, I had to buy a couple of extra connectors for the intercooler piping, on the downpipe the O2 bung was welded on the oppsite side so I had to untangle it and hang it on the raditor fan so it wouldn't touch the exhaust, and for some reason I couldn't get the two bottom bolts on for the manifold. Other than that I would recommend getting this kit.

totaleclipse_05Aug-23-07 06:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#101314, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by eclipsederek
...and for some reason I couldn't get the two bottom bolts on for the manifold. Other than that I would recommend getting this kit.

So did you ever get them on? If not, that is a major pre-turbo exhaust leak and you will not be able to spool up quickly and it will eat away at your exhaust manifold gasket.

I used exhaust studs in those spots and used nuts to tighten them against the manifold.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

DSMTalonAug-23-07 07:10 PM
267 posts,
#101322, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 11

i kinda noticed this too.. when installing the manifold, a few of the bolts are major PITAs to get on. i ended up having to use a combination of the bolts they sent and a few of the factory mani bolts if i remember correctly. and i did relocate the O2 Sensor to a slightly different spot to allow for my intercooler piping, but that issue only came up cuz i went with a different FMIC.

Sanity's Eclipse

eclipsederekAug-24-07 07:54 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2007
11 posts,
#101324, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 10
Aug-24-07 07:56 AM by eclipsederek

What length studs did you use?

NoogaboxMar-04-08 01:26 PM
Member since Feb 01st 2008
96 posts,
#103000, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0

I personally have been ticked off by treadstone a couple times. First about thier intercooler not actually fitting behind my Talon bumper and second because they sond me a OIl Supply line kit that was WAY TO FUCKIN SHORT. I had to go right over my valve cover because there simply wasnt enough slack to route the line around the right side ( battery side) of the valve cover. you can see plainly how I had to install the lines!! I called Treadstone and the ass is line " um well go buy a longer line then at the harware store" and then I ran into the issue that the 420a has a 3/8" NPT hole on the back where the oil sender plugs into. This Treadstone guy sent me a 1/8" NPT. I called him on that one too. His response was to go buy another fitting from the store that fits. What kind of service is that??!?

Heres my original post when it happened.
http://upgradecar.blogspot.com/2007/11/treadstone-performance-blurb-they-sent.html

Upgradecar.blogspot.com for the Candy Red Turbocharged 420a, Xbox Talon

Dreamcasteclipse.blogspot.com for the Raspberry 4g63T Dreamcast GST

halfasss101Jul-03-08 08:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#103889, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 14

I am planning to buy this kit. By the oil line complaints that i've read, it's kinda makin me wonder if my car will be down longer than i have planned to find for parts. Is there an oil line kit that somebody makes just to fit it perfectly?

totaleclipse_05Jul-04-08 08:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#103902, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 15

I made an oil lines writeup of everything you need and where to get it:

http://www.team-2g.com/mitsubishi-eclipse/diy-how-tech-articles/22018-420a-turbo-oil-lines-writeup.html

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

2GeclipseRSJul-07-08 06:54 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#103906, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 16

My second review of prefab turbo kits:

Buy an ebay kit for $899.

Buy an oil restrictor for your oil feed line so you dont blow your oil seals.

Get your fuel shit on here from people parting out their cars or changing setups.....

Good turbo kit for under $2000 that is COMPLETE. Alot of the ebay kits even include a downpipe now.

Hit or miss. Not really. Just install the kit (after watching other peoples f-ups and going around them) proper and it wont mess up on you. If the turbo does take a dump, replace it with a holset.

I've seen enough of that crap work to make me a believer. I'm all over the auto forums. No, not honda-tech. 240 forums, homemadeturbo, MKII-III supra forums, Cavi forums....all over. People are using the stuff and having it work.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

rsdsm95Jul-10-08 03:39 AM
Member since Oct 30th 2006
28 posts,
#103923, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 17

i had the treadstone kit and loved it. only problem i had with it was the wastegate dump tube hitting the down pipe and ac condensor. besides that I thought it was a well put together kit. They didn't put any bolts in my kit after emailing them they got back to me that day and had the bolts by the end of the week.

96TurboGSJul-10-08 06:41 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2007
125 posts,
#103924, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 18

+1 I loved the kit myself, my dump tube mounted up flawlessly beside the ac compressor, my waste gate doesn't hit the hood like some people have stated. In my opinion it is one of the best kits out there for its price, really can’t beat it. I ran in to a couple problems though, I had to get extra ic piping and couplers. My ic pipes doesn’t sit close to the grown, I solved that problem with a hack saw, lol. The oil return is trash, so I went to jegs and bought a 4 -an line along with other piping to hold my OPSU and my AEM sensor coming off the block. I also upgraded to a turbonetics 62-1 ball bearing (eating rice has never been the same), the oil pressure was too much for the seals so I bought a restrictor and haven’t had problems since. Other than that it’s an all around kit, for the price that is...

-Rafiel

halfasss101Jul-10-08 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#103925, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 19

Damn all these problems are just amazing. How can someone sell something that expensive(not that it expensive as far as turbo kits go, just alot of money in general) and it have so many problems? If it was my product, I'd be ashamed to sell it and try to fix it ASAP. But almost everyone that's posted on this thread has had some sort of problem. I'd pay them a little extra just to have everything fit right out of the box with no issues like the hahn kit my friend bought

totaleclipse_05Jul-10-08 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#103931, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by halfasss101
I'd pay them a little extra just to have everything fit right out of the box with no issues like the hahn kit my friend bought

Then buy a Hahn kit. You are always going to have to modify something on a car to add a turbo that was never meant to have one. If you can't handle the tiny modding needed, buy a GST/GSX.

Mike D

halfasss101Jul-10-08 10:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#103937, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 21

True, good point. I don't really mind doing the work, I enjoy it, I'm just really anxious to get this damn thing done ASAP. I've waited to long to get this done. I was going to buy a GST but I already had the GS and put so much time into it already and I'd rather see the look on their face when a GS kills them instead of a GST. I read your oil line writeup also. You think i need the oil inlet restrictor for a turbonetics 60 trim also? I did notice it said for journal bearing and larger GT BB turbos but I just thought i'd ask just to be safe.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100886 Previous topic | Next topic