Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help." Previous topic | Next topic
2GeclipseRSJun-27-07 02:13 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100613, "Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."

Ok then. Been doing research like a mofo drinking mad amounts of coffee to keep me from falling asleep at the comp. Everyone on here that has given me input has helped alot and i have a better understanding of what direction to take. For instance, my exhaust mani has a crack in it and the whole exhaust is rusted/patched and i wanted to spend money to replace it. I woke up to that just being a waste of money if i'm just going to go with a turbo and 3" exhaust anyway. Thanks for beating on me about that.

I've decided i'll probably run a T3 flanged log manifold for a little bit until i figure out how i'm going to go about making my own to produce the results i want. I'll be on the lookout for one in the next couple of months. I shouldn't have problems if it has an external wastegate flange and i block it off properly, correct? Could i thread the block off plate and use an egt probe if i wanted?

This turbo i'm about to post a link to is fairly inexpensive and should get me going faster. It appears that everything is pointed in a good direction. Oil and water cooled. T3 flange. All the bells and whistles i guess. Doesn't specify if it's ball bearing or wet float but i'm assuming it's a wet float. Feel free to direct me to something better if you think this turbo is a waste of my time. I'd be happy to make 200hp on a stock bottom end with this. Spooled has a warranty on everything if i take it apart and something is amiss, i can send it back.

http://www.spooledmotorsports.com/turbochargerspage.php?turbocharger=Used_Garrett%2FAiresearch_TB0363_%28T3_Series%29_Turbocharger

Tuning. Ugh. MSnS systems for $400 bucks on ebay at the cheapest. I still gotta buy a palm logger and learn how to do that shit too. The S-AFC is cheaper and doesn't need a datalogger but when you add fuel, you add timing. Would an msd ignition control box keep that in check or no? Running at 6-8 lbs of boost, should i be ok tuning with this thing? I do plan on getting a walbro 255 and possibly 250-275cc injectors. Would i be ok running it with bigger injectors too? Do i even need them? Throw me a bone. In this case, the bare bones essentials for tuning with low boost and stock cr. I'm getting mixed messages from the search. This has me beating my head against the wall. It's like sitting in a room with 20 different people telling me 20 different things and i dont know what to make sense of it.

Next up, intercoolers. Front mounts on ebay, some name brand are going dirt cheap. What would be THE SIZE to go with to use my 2gb bumper and core with little or no modification?

Last but not least, nitrous is expensive. Due to fwd traction issues, i've decided not to go with high comp OR a wet kit ever on this car. I'll probably never spool anything big enough to need a kick up in the bottom end anyway. I was wondering how practical it is to use the cryo2 system intercooler sprayer and intake cooler kit? How much should it cost to fill up a 10lb bottle? Between my lead foot on the street, auto-x, and a couple nights a week at the track, i need something to cool stuff down quick.

Thanks for reading this and if you have anything at all to add or can point me in a better direction, please do. Keep in mind, my current goal is to just be able to have around 160-180whp and the ability to keep everything in check. I know what i need to run high boost on a built engine but that comes later and to try to get it done now is just unrealistic. I have enough going on with the car now as it is.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., ChloRure, Jun-27-07 03:55 PM, #1
RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., 2GeclipseRS, Jun-27-07 07:23 PM, #2
      RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., eclipserst3, Jun-28-07 05:25 PM, #3
      RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., 2GeclipseRS, Jun-30-07 01:52 PM, #8
      RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., totaleclipse_05, Jun-28-07 05:33 PM, #4
           RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., 2GeclipseRS, Jun-29-07 01:23 PM, #5
                RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., Styles., Jun-29-07 01:49 PM, #6
                     RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., 2GeclipseRS, Jun-29-07 02:03 PM, #7
                          RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help., Styles., Jul-01-07 04:39 PM, #9

ChloRureJun-27-07 03:55 PM
Member since May 16th 2006
262 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100618, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 0

Dont know so much but I would not put my money on a S-AFC or Msns at this time. S-AFC are not really used for our car and msns take a little more knowledge to use. With that turbo you will probably see around 6psi on the motor or even 5psi with a fmic. I would stick with a 12:1 FMU and stock injectors or if you go larger buy some 300-310CC and S-FMU. I currently run 440CC with S-FMU and it still works, suck gas but it works. As for the turbo I think it will spool super fast but will loose power on high rpm, again if you dont think to go higher later it should be good.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2GeclipseRSJun-27-07 07:23 PM
781 posts,
#100623, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-28-07 09:23 AM by 2GeclipseRS

Thanks man. You just saved me money right now by going with the 1:1 FMU and a walbro alone.

I figured the turbo would run out of steam higher up because of the exhaust/comp sizes but it should be just what i need for beefing up my dd right now and getting a feel for how the car reacts to boost. Definately, this turbo is for stage I. I'm not trying to accomplish all that much right now on a stock engine. Like i said, i know what i want to run on a built motor but that's for later.

Anybody got any info about my intercooler/cryo2 curiosity?

Edit: I think i'll take the core support out anyway so no big on the fmic. Not looking for anything big right now as pressure drop might be an issue with that tiny turbo. Looking at the write-ups on custom pipes makes me want to do this yesterday. I'll go out on a limb and give the cryo2 a shot for the hell of it. Still, i'd like to know how much it cost to fill a tank. Nobody around here where i live knows shit about shit. Should be cheaper to fill than a nitrous tank right? I could try a paintball place perhaps?

Do you think i'll have clearance issues with that turbo and a log mani? I'm thinking now i might end up doing a custom manifold. Clip the flange off and weld a 420a flange on and change the angle of the turbo flange if need be. I have access to a tig machine now. SWEET! That means as soon as i put my car back together i can get those freakin' holes in my hatch and quarter pannels welded no problem.

eclipserst3Jun-28-07 05:25 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2006
204 posts,
#100638, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 2

dude, i used co2 intercooler spray and i took the piece of sheiza off my car. it looks good but co2 was getting in the intake and killing my car. it didn't make any power anyways. btw, it cost about $12 for 10# of co2

got that megasquirt!

2GeclipseRSJun-30-07 01:52 PM
781 posts,
#100664, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by eclipserst3
dude, i used co2 intercooler spray and i took the piece of sheiza off my car. it looks good but co2 was getting in the intake and killing my car. it didn't make any power anyways. btw, it cost about $12 for 10# of co2

I overlooked your post....sorry.

I'll take your word for it and just not spray anything.

That's it. Now that we have that squared away i'm taking my ass to bed...

totaleclipse_05Jun-28-07 05:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100639, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I have access to a tig machine now. SWEET! That means as soon as i put my car back together i can get those freakin' holes in my hatch and quarter pannels welded no problem.

Do NOT tig weld on your car or even within 20 feet of it. You WILL ruin the electronics.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

2GeclipseRSJun-29-07 01:23 PM
781 posts,
#100652, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-29-07 02:01 PM by 2GeclipseRS

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 2 points for you!

Mig it is. I have access to everything pretty much, sans dyno. Personally, i dont think i'm going to need it at this point.

Nevermind that turbo. Going to running a t25 for a while. When it goes, i'll port the housing and stuff a t28 cartrige in there. dont have to pay a penny for it because i have a very generous friend. Now i'm going to have to bust out the notebook, lay everything out infront of my car and figure out how i'm going to get stuff to work and fit. It's going to be fun. By "fun", i mean a big pain in the ass. I hope the search turns something up!

I searched and.....well, i'm probably going to buy flanges and weld up a custom mani wether i like it or not. The short runner doesn't do it for me. Alot of guys with small turbos (on different cars, not necessarily ours) have better luck with longer runners. I'm not good on that subject. I'm just speaking vicariously through what others have told me. just seems to be the case. My honda head friends running 14b's, 16g's and volvo turbos used long runners over a short runner setup. I listed the smic and piping for sale as i dont plan on using them. It'd just be easier to get an fmic outright, do the plumbing and be done with it. How noticable do you think running a t25 at 6-8 psi will be over stock? How will my powerband be? Like, will it hold boost all the way to redline reliably with a 2.5" full catless (my friend made his own test pipe) exhaust with a free-flowing fart can on it.

Things are moving smooth with the project thus far. That could change depending on what a compression test reveals. I have my fingers crossed. Still waiting on my mls head gasket, timing belt, plug wires, head bolts, piston rings and spark plugs from parts dinosaur.

I'm so happy right now i'd hug the entire forum.

Styles.Jun-29-07 01:49 PM
Member since May 05th 2007
59 posts,
#100653, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 5

i'm running a t25 atm if you need to know any info on how i hooked it up i'll be more than happy to help

2GeclipseRSJun-29-07 02:03 PM
781 posts,
#100654, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 6

Pics please? Lol.

Styles.Jul-01-07 04:39 PM
Member since May 05th 2007
59 posts,
#100683, "RE: Turbo questions. Stage I custom set up help."
In response to Reply # 7

Had to move the wastegate from the front to the back of the turbo.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100613 Previous topic | Next topic