Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100445
View in linear mode

Subject: "ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?" Previous topic | Next topic
2GeclipseRSJun-10-07 06:49 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100445, "ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"

I almost considered buying this but it looks really cheap.... Cheap as in cheaply made. That turbo doesn't look to great, you have to cut the intercooler piping yourself. No-name bov.

I've been eyeballing these on ebay for about 3 weeks now. They seem to get good feedback but how hard is it to bullshit feedback?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/420A-TALON-ECLIPSE-DSM-T3-CAST-TURBO-KIT-w-piping_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ002QQitemZ120129001344QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

So i'm thinking "no" to this and yes to knuckling down for a part-time job to buy a treadstone kit.

Throw me a freakin' bone here.

I searched but i dont know if this is the same kit or not. If they are crap and so many people have 420a powered cars....why not more negative buzz on these?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, totaleclipse_05, Jun-10-07 07:05 PM, #1
RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-11-07 02:24 AM, #2
RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, bigrob3232, Jun-11-07 01:48 PM, #3
      RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, ChloRure, Jun-11-07 05:04 PM, #4
      RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, RfOeCnKdOeNr, Jun-12-07 06:27 AM, #5
           RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, eclipserst3, Jun-12-07 01:38 PM, #6
                RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, totaleclipse_05, Jun-12-07 04:31 PM, #7
                RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, 2GeclipseRS, Jun-12-07 04:34 PM, #8
RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?, 2gtalon420a, Jun-13-07 09:33 AM, #9

totaleclipse_05Jun-10-07 07:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100446, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would pass on it. It's a crappy no-name turbo included in it, all knock-off parts, etc. Just start piecing together your own kit. I did that and got everything for around $2000. It took a few months to get everything, but was well worth it in the end because I got stuff that I trusted on my engine and knew wouldn't give me problems.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorcs82685Jun-11-07 02:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100447, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
So i'm thinking "no" to this and yes to knuckling down for a part-time job to buy a treadstone kit.

I think that's your best bet. Either that or piecing one together yourself. For the peace of mind I would just prefer name brand parts when it comes to such things as turbo/wastegate/bov, because they are such important parts of the turbo system that you don't want failing on you. My rule of thumb is if it involves moving parts, then get name brand.

BTW keep in mind that there is no fuel system with that so you would end up spending at least another $200 on a fuel system and that's if you were only going with a walbro fuel pump and an fmu. SFMU setups will be in the range of 3-400, portfueler 1k+ and if you're worried about cutting your own piping for an intercooler, then I wouldn't even think about MSnS.

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
If they are crap and so many people have 420a powered cars....why not more negative buzz on these?

People usually leave feedback when they get something, not months down the road after they realize it's a POS. The seller may be great to deal with during the initial transaction and until he gets paid and you leave him good feedback, but after that who knows. Honestly though some people have used ebay turbo kits and have been successful with them and have been happy, but do you really want to spend 1k to find out in a few months that you have to replace your turbo or wastegate? Or worse if your wastegate doesn't work appropriately you may be trying to find a replacement engine sooner than you thought. Not trying to scare you, but this is something you want to do carefully and it's best to do right the first time. I learned that, I've replaced virtually the entire turbo kit I bought (Everything except turbo manifold and downpipe).

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

bigrob3232Jun-11-07 01:48 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2006
203 posts,
#100449, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 2

Why get treadstone or hahn or star? or anything else for that matter...piece one together and call it your own. then you can buy part by part when you get the money instead of spending twice as much on a ready made kit. just my opinion

ChloRureJun-11-07 05:04 PM
Member since May 16th 2006
262 posts,
#100450, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 3

You can but in the sell section hahn kit for about 2000$ instead of 3500 !

RfOeCnKdOeNrJun-12-07 06:27 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2006
259 posts,
#100452, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by bigrob3232
Why get treadstone or hahn or star? or anything else for that matter...piece one together and call it your own. then you can buy part by part when you get the money instead of spending twice as much on a ready made kit. just my opinion

I agree 100 percent. I peiced together my kit and I am beyond proud of every part. I spent more money where I wanted to. Trust me, you will feel much better afterwards.

eclipserst3Jun-12-07 01:38 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2006
204 posts,
#100454, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 5

i bought a few things for my kit from ebay, you just have to know what you are getting. the intercoolers are nothing special, the turbos(be careful), and mani's are ok. go ahead and buy injectors or oil lines from there but not glued turbos. i got an internally gated turbo that i had to drill the gate so it wouldn't spike. name brands don't require modification.

got that megasquirt!

totaleclipse_05Jun-12-07 04:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#100457, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipserst3
name brands don't require modification.

Some do. Like a Mitsu EVO3 16g turbo with an internal wastegate will need to be ported so it will not creep up past the wastegate's set boost limit.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

2GeclipseRSJun-12-07 04:34 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#100458, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, i think i may just peice together my own. It's not like internally gated 16g turbos are all that expensive. A decent intercooler isn't expensive either. I'll get back on this in a few months. I'll peice together my own.

2gtalon420aJun-13-07 09:33 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2007
30 posts,
#100459, "RE: ebay turbo kit for a little over $1k?"
In response to Reply # 0

ebay kits suck i would go with hahn acutually ill be selling a hang kit soon

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100445 Previous topic | Next topic