Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #8791
View in linear mode

Subject: "How much boost?" Previous topic | Next topic
namelesseclipse (Guest)Nov-05-01 07:15 AM

#8791, "How much boost?"

Ok I have been running 8 psi on a regular basis and it seems to be fine...haven't found anything wrong everything looks good...all the gauges are reading fine....now the question is....can I up the boost to 10 or even 12 on stock internals and injectors without blowing rings or motor...I would like any advice....just let me know if 10 or 12 is cool without major damage or should I just hold off and wait till I get the internals....and if no one has went 12 psi on a regular basis then i wouldn't mind trying it...so please let me know....Thanx

Star Stage 2 turbo kit w/Greddy Type S BOV
Turbonetics Manual Boost Controller
SkunkWorks Cam Gears
5Zigen Cat back exhaust
Cat. Bypass
NGK spark plugs
Nology Spark plug wires
Full body kit
17" Konig Imagines
Air/Fuel Gauge
EGT gauge
and other gauges....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How much boost?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-05-01 07:35 AM, #1
RE: How much boost?, TeamJeff_99gs, Nov-05-01 07:36 AM, #2
RE: How much boost?, klipzracer, Nov-05-01 09:25 AM, #3
      RE: How much boost?, aj, Nov-05-01 11:19 AM, #4
           RE: How much boost?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-06-01 03:01 AM, #8
RE: How much boost?, namelesseclipse (Guest), Nov-05-01 11:55 AM, #5
RE: How much boost?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-05-01 12:08 PM, #6
      RE: How much boost?, SHOGUN98RS, Nov-05-01 04:00 PM, #7
           RE: How much boost?, aj, Nov-06-01 03:26 AM, #9
           RE: How much boost?, TeamMuRiX, Nov-06-01 03:26 AM, #10
           RE: How much boost?, aj, Nov-06-01 03:29 AM, #11
                RE: How much boost?, TeamMuRiX, Nov-06-01 03:38 AM, #12
                     RE: How much boost?, SHOGUN98RS, Nov-06-01 04:36 PM, #13
                          RE: How much boost?, rimrecker69, Nov-07-01 12:26 AM, #14
                          RE: How much boost?, aj, Nov-07-01 03:05 AM, #15
                          RE: How much boost?, aj, Nov-08-01 04:54 AM, #16

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-05-01 07:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8792, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 0

In a word: No. You will, without a doubt, crack a piston. it may not be that day, it may not be the next, it may last for a week, but it will crack.

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, click HERE:
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/
No MP3 for YOU!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsNov-05-01 07:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8793, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you like your engine, keep your boost right where it is.

If you want an expensive rebuild right now, up the boost to 12psi.

Your engine will blow with 10+ psi. Maybe not today, but very soon. Especially with the Star fuel system.

People have run 12 psi on stock internals, but they decreased the CR with thick headgaskets and shims.

*so don't do it

-Jeff
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T'd and HRC'd

http://gs.dsmpower.com

klipzracerNov-05-01 09:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#8794, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 2

ask Tommyboy about 12psi, hehehe. he likes to replace pistons. me?? i just like to replace entire engines.

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.html

1990 GSX (14.1 in the 1/4 mile, so far)
1997 RS (it just looks neat)
http://www.homestead.com/klipzracer/index.html

ajNov-05-01 11:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
280 posts,
#8795, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 3

on a different note,what about the other way around.built internals and stock injectors(still can't control my 440's and 02 readings)w/ walbro and 12-1 fpr on 12 psi?safe or borderline?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-06-01 03:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8796, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 4

I'd say safe. Wyatt ran that setup for a long time after his rebuild with no detrimental effects..

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, click HERE:
No MP3 for YOU!

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

namelesseclipse (Guest)Nov-05-01 11:55 AM

#8797, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats what I wanted to know....so if I was to run 12psi without changing my pistons then there is a chance that they will blow? correct? What if i change the headgasket and get total seal piston rings and maybe bigger injectors....will that work fine or will the pistons still crack? are the pistons really that weak????

Star Stage 2 turbo kit w/Greddy Type S BOV
Turbonetics Manual Boost Controller
SkunkWorks Cam Gears
5Zigen Cat back exhaust
Cat. Bypass
NGK spark plugs
Nology Spark plug wires
Full body kit
17" Konig Imagines

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-05-01 12:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8798, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 5

Doesn't matter what kind of rings you use. Rings don't break under boost. Pistons do. The pistons are strong, sure, but brittle. They can take a lot of abuse, but not in the form of the sharp blow of sdetonation. The uneven loads and the shear shock will crack them. Consider 12PSI at 9.6:1 compression. Then consider it going off before it supposed to. That's a lot of force to have to resist.

No MP3 for YOU!

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

SHOGUN98RSNov-05-01 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
165 posts,
#8799, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 6

"RE: How much boost?"
on a different note,what about the other way around.built internals and stock injectors(still can't control my 440's and 02 readings)w/ walbro and 12-1 fpr on 12 psi?safe or borderline?
hey aj, ummm i was told not to be running 12:1 fpr on 440s and that kind of boost...i switched to 4:1 w/recalibration disk ...dino??

http://geocities.com/shogunltw/
People that say "money is the root of all evil" dont have any. BR
auto- star stage III @15psi & rising

http://www.geocities.com/shogunltw
HOUSTON 2gnt
auto-star stage III 18psi..."hey tranny u still there"??

ajNov-06-01 03:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
280 posts,
#8800, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 7

I actually meant 12:1 and stock injectors w/ just a walbro w/ 12 psi.Dino,I thought Wyatt had 440's?Or did he run stock injectors w/ 12psi on a built block before he got em' on?

BTW,I do have 440's and a 4:1 disk but it won't idle right even @ -50 on the afc.Too busy to figure it out so I just put the old set up on.I just hate waht a waste my build up is turning in to.Esp after seeing that post on a dyno run on 15 psi w/ basically the same set up I already have.

Sucks living in "bum fuck egypt"...can't wait to move back to cali...

TeamMuRiXNov-06-01 03:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#8801, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 7

Joe A. ran 12psi for a year and never blew his motor. He used a thicker hg to lower compression plus a lot of know how on tuning. I forgot who claimed to have run 12psi consistently in Cali, but it was done with timing being retarded. These are the kind of things that would offset detonation at higher boost and very recommendable. If I were to REALLY want to try and run a consistent 12psi, I would start with an MSD DIS-2 and timing retarded about 4-6deg and larger injectors with an AFC. These are things that can help at any boost level anyway.

Oh, if you use 440cc you have ot use the 4:1 disc. The 12:1 will cause problems being ultra rich. With 550's you have to go 3:1.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage IV+
Sitting and collecting dust most of the time..
A.D.P.
http://www.murix.com

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

ajNov-06-01 03:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
280 posts,
#8802, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 7

shogun98,how's your car idle w/ the 440's?would you be kind enough to tell me what your afc setting is @ idle?are you blowing black smoke?I'm desperately trying to figure out what I did wrong.my car would just about die when i hit throttle w/ so much fuel dumping and I was going through 02's left n' right.

TeamMuRiXNov-06-01 03:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#8803, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 11

It might be your base fuel pressure - what is it at? try lowering it to the 35psi range.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage IV+
Sitting and collecting dust most of the time..
A.D.P.
http://www.murix.com

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

SHOGUN98RSNov-06-01 04:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
165 posts,
#8804, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 12

my car idles great now...i took off and put my stock injectors back on once becuz of crappy idle...tried a second time and again the same no idle and black smoke..come to find out thura (AVENGER) comes over and see that i had my vc1 safc & ecu wired wrong...he fixed it and it idles perfect.. my settings i got from eric c who was runnin 15psi on stck btm end just to get it started but is in no way tuned..the houston guys are all donating and we're about to get a datalogger to tune all of the 4 guys running 15psi and up. email me if u need .shogunltw@aol.com -joe

http://geocities.com/shogunltw/
People that say "money is the root of all evil" dont have any. BR
auto- star stage III 15psi & rising

http://www.geocities.com/shogunltw
HOUSTON 2gnt
auto-star stage III 18psi..."hey tranny u still there"??

rimrecker69Nov-07-01 12:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
81 posts,
#8805, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 13

Where do you guys get 440 injectors that fit our car and how much do they cost? I have searched and only find 550 for the gst/gsx. 95 GS HRC Stage II

13.4 @ 100mph
93 Eagle Talon Tsi Awd

ajNov-07-01 03:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
280 posts,
#8806, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 14

rc engineering 360.00 bones though.try injectors for domestics.heard they work,plus they're cheaper.don't know the exact brand and model though.

ajNov-08-01 04:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
280 posts,
#8807, "RE: How much boost?"
In response to Reply # 13

shogun98rs,I tried to e-mail but maybe I can reach you better hear.I was curious what you found wrong w/ your wirings when you were having those problems being rich on idle,maybe I wired mine the same way.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #8791 Previous topic | Next topic