Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #79893
View in linear mode

Subject: "missing link with 95 computer" Previous topic | Next topic
ryansiefringDec-01-04 08:16 AM
Member since Nov 24th 2004
237 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79893, "missing link with 95 computer"

i was under the impression that i still needed one due to the fact that after a while it could damage my map sensor. i have one on my car now, but do i really need it?

Ryan Siefring
Located near Dayton OH, zip 45356
Student at the University of Dayton.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: missing link with 95 computer, flamineclipse, Dec-01-04 08:30 AM, #1
RE: missing link with 95 computer, hunntyr, Dec-01-04 08:41 AM, #2
      RE: missing link with 95 computer, Chamuko, Dec-01-04 08:49 AM, #3
      RE: missing link with 95 computer, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-01-04 09:06 AM, #4
           RE: missing link with 95 computer, hunntyr, Dec-01-04 09:56 AM, #6
                RE: missing link with 95 computer, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-01-04 10:24 AM, #7
                     RE: missing link with 95 computer, hunntyr, Dec-01-04 10:32 AM, #8
                     RE: missing link with 95 computer, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-01-04 09:37 PM, #9
                     RE: missing link with 95 computer, EglTalon_ESi, Dec-03-04 03:28 PM, #10
                     RE: missing link with 95 computer, taloniized, Dec-04-04 05:55 PM, #12
                          RE: missing link with 95 computer, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-04-04 10:16 PM, #16
      RE: missing link with 95 computer, flamineclipse, Dec-01-04 09:51 AM, #5
           RE: missing link with 95 computer, taloniized, Dec-04-04 05:40 PM, #11
                RE: missing link with 95 computer, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-04-04 06:03 PM, #13
                     RE: missing link with 95 computer, taloniized, Dec-04-04 06:14 PM, #14
                          RE: missing link with 95 computer, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-04-04 06:17 PM, #15
                               RE: missing link with 95 computer, Ready4Dis, Dec-05-04 11:55 AM, #17
                                    RE: missing link with 95 computer, thedawg, Dec-06-04 05:34 AM, #18
                                         RE: missing link with 95 computer, ForceFed420a, Dec-06-04 07:35 AM, #19
                                         RE: missing link with 95 computer, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-06-04 07:39 AM, #20
                                         RE: missing link with 95 computer, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-06-04 10:44 AM, #21
                                              RE: missing link with 95 computer, lickscissors, Dec-06-04 11:18 AM, #22

flamineclipseDec-01-04 08:30 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2003
675 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79894, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 0

No, the 95 model doesn't need a missing link. It will actually cause problems rather than help. I'd take it off.

Oh, you don't like altezza's? Too bad, your gonna get a good look at mine.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hunntyrDec-01-04 08:41 AM
Member since Dec 27th 2003
911 posts,
#79895, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by flamineclipse
No, the 95 model doesn't need a missing link. It will actually cause problems rather than help. I'd take it off.

I was under the same impression. Every thing I have researched tells me I need one and I am going to be piecing together the HRC stage 2 kit here next month. How will it cause problems vs help???

http://www.cardomain.com/id/hunntyr

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ChamukoDec-01-04 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#79896, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 2

How can your MAP sensor take backfires and still work , but a 6psi shot will kill it?

Think about that.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-01-04 09:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#79898, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 3

The MAP sensor is a solid-state electronic device. It is rated to handle 50psi+ intake manifold backfires. I don't know where ASOG'ers get the idea that 5-10psi is going to hurt it..

Blame Ryan95i4.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

hunntyrDec-01-04 09:56 AM
911 posts,
#79903, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DarkOne
The MAP sensor is a solid-state electronic device. It is rated to handle 50psi+ intake manifold backfires. I don't know where ASOG'ers get the idea that 5-10psi is going to hurt it.. Blame Ryan95i4.

No Problem........Its all Ryan9514's fault.

Anyway, so to make sure I am correct, the missing link
"is not neccesary" for the HRC stage 2 to properly function and keep boosting between 6 - 8 psi on a daily basis????

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-01-04 10:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#79904, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by hunntyr
No Problem........Its all Ryan9514's fault. Anyway, so to make sure I am correct, the missing link "is not neccesary" for the HRC stage 2 to properly function and keep boosting between 6 - 8 psi on a daily basis????

On a 1995 model year 2GNT/Avenger/Sebring, no. on a 96 or newer, yes.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

hunntyrDec-01-04 10:32 AM
911 posts,
#79905, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by hunntyr No Problem........Its all Ryan9514's fault. Anyway, so to make sure I am correct, the missing link "is not neccesary" for the HRC stage 2 to properly function and keep boosting between 6 - 8 psi on a daily basis????

Cool...thanks for the help. You just saved me $50 for the ML. I guess thats one good thing about having a 95 GS.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-01-04 09:37 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#79953, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by hunntyr No Problem........Its all Ryan9514's fault. Anyway, so to make sure I am correct, the missing link "is not neccesary" for the HRC stage 2 to properly function and keep boosting between 6 - 8 psi on a daily basis????

Hey Dino some 96's get away without it. my 96 talon never had a problem with it, not sure why.

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

EglTalon_ESiDec-03-04 03:28 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2003
104 posts,
#80026, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 9

i just got bought a used star stage 2 kit off a member but it didn't come with a Map Sensor Bypass Valves or ML. i got a 95 esi once i install the kit will i need any of these or can i get away with out using any?

taloniizedDec-04-04 05:55 PM
Member since Apr 24th 2002
786 posts,
#80039, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 7

what if you are over 6-8psi?

1995 Eagle Talon Esi
14.4 @ 102MPH
Speedworld Motorplex
Phoenix, Arizona

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-04-04 10:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#80049, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by taloniized
what if you are over 6-8psi?

if its a 95, it doesn't matter. It doesn't cut fuel on a MAP sensor out-of-range condition like the 96 and up ECUs do. I ran 15+ psi on mine for years.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

flamineclipseDec-01-04 09:51 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2003
675 posts,
#79902, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by hunntyr
Originally posted by flamineclipse No, the 95 model doesn't need a missing link. It will actually cause problems rather than help. I'd take it off.
I was under the same impression. Every thing I have researched tells me I need one and I am going to be piecing together the HRC stage 2 kit here next month. How will it cause problems vs help???

I have seen a few posts about how a ml on a 95 causes idle issues. I think that maybe lickscissors had a problem like that.

Oh, you don't like altezza's? Too bad, your gonna get a good look at mine.

taloniizedDec-04-04 05:40 PM
786 posts,
#80037, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 5

i have a 95 and i'm boosting 10psi, so you guys are telling me i don't need the missing link?...i actually made my own missing link with fish tank valves....i've never tried it without the missing link, is this for real?

1995 Eagle Talon Esi
14.4 @ 102MPH
Speedworld Motorplex
Phoenix, Arizona

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-04-04 06:03 PM
8331 posts,
#80040, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 11
Dec-04-04 06:04 PM by Star Turbo Talon

If your doing anything with fishtank valves it better not be with the Map sensor. i dont think you are understanding what we are talking about of you dont know what you are doing.

Fishtank valve cannot be used as a checkvalve, that is what the missing link is. sounds like you are talking about man boost controller, in which case is just as bad.

A fishtank valve will not help overcome anything related to boost problems that the map sees. If you did remove the map and run a hose to it with a fishtank valve them you are probably giving the ECU an inaccurate map response.

terry

97 Eclipse.........

taloniizedDec-04-04 06:14 PM
786 posts,
#80042, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
If your doing anything with fishtank valves it better not be with the Map sensor. i dont think you are understanding what we are talking about of you dont know what you are doing. Fishtank valve cannot be used as a checkvalve, that is what the missing link is. sounds like you are talking about man boost controller, in which case is just as bad. A fishtank valve will not help overcome anything related to boost problems that the map sees. If you did remove the map and run a hose to it with a fishtank valve them you are probably giving the ECU an inaccurate map response. terry 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

i've had these check valves for like 5 years and not have problems with it.

1995 Eagle Talon Esi
14.4 @ 102MPH
Speedworld Motorplex
Phoenix, Arizona

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-04-04 06:17 PM
8331 posts,
#80043, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 14

every freshwater fishtank valve i have seen is a bleed type valve not a check valve. its nothing more than a valve

97 Eclipse.........

Ready4DisDec-05-04 11:55 AM
Member since Nov 29th 2004
48 posts,
#80073, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
every freshwater fishtank valve i have seen is a bleed type valve not a check valve. its nothing more than a valve 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

Well, it's a common trick with other cars as well to use the check-valves that are made for the air lines for fishtanks. They are true check valves, and they are used to prevent the water from coming back up the tube once the air pump shuts off, because the rush of water up the tube can cause it to start a syphon and drain your tank slowly through your air pump if you're not home to catch it. Anyways, they work fine for check valves for turbo applications, although i'm not sure how many PSI they can safely handle.

thedawgDec-06-04 05:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#80098, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 17

There's more than one kind of fish tank valve

There's the air line check valve (to prevent water siphoning when the power goes out on your air pump) which will work PERFECTLY fine for a MAP check valve, or a check valve on a SFMU/Cartech.

There's also the air balancing valves which distribute/meter air to different airstones. This could work as a manual boost controller, but it's ghetto at best.

ForceFed420aDec-06-04 07:35 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#80101, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 18

What if you have a 97, and put a 95 ECU in it. Would it still work?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-06-04 07:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#80102, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by ForceFed420a
What if you have a 97, and put a 95 ECU in it. Would it still work?

Not possible. 95's use a 60-pin FCC ECU, 96 and up use an 80-pin SBEC ECU.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-06-04 10:44 AM
8331 posts,
#80111, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by thedawg
There's more than one kind of fish tank valve There's the air line check valve (to prevent water siphoning when the power goes out on your air pump) which will work PERFECTLY fine for a MAP check valve, or a check valve on a SFMU/Cartech. There's also the air balancing valves which distribute/meter air to different airstones. This could work as a manual boost controller, but it's ghetto at best.

Ghetto should not be allowed in this forum, any idiot who wants to go ghetto can buy a yugo...lol

keep the fish tank parts in the fish tank, if you cant afford the right shit you need a new hobby

Terry

97 Eclipse.........

lickscissorsDec-06-04 11:18 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#80112, "RE: missing link with 95 computer"
In response to Reply # 21

ive been putting the missing link on and off (i have a 95) i really havent seen a difference either way, but keep it on just incase.... my car runs like shit anyhow, so what does it matter
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #79893 Previous topic | Next topic