Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #72604
View in linear mode

Subject: "Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy" Previous topic | Next topic
41eclipseJun-13-04 07:50 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2002
266 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72604, "Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
Jun-13-04 07:55 PM by 41eclipse

I'm fabricating the piping out of 304 stainless steel, using my new TIG welder. I also made the brackets to hold the new intercooler. This is my first project with the welder. Next, I'm going to make a 3" stainless steel DP, since we can never seem to get anyone to make them for those of us with the star kits. Anyways, I still need to make the piece that connects the intercooler to the throttle body. As you can see in the pics, I'm going with a different route for the turbo to intercooler so I had to cut away a little bit of sheet metal to get the piping past the radiator for this reason. Let me know what you think. Is the intercooler big enough?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, Steve, Jun-13-04 09:46 PM, #1
RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jun-13-04 10:11 PM, #2
      RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, 41eclipse, Jun-14-04 02:46 AM, #3
           RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, av8er, Jun-14-04 06:01 AM, #4
                RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, redeclipset, Jun-14-04 07:49 AM, #5
                     RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, 41eclipse, Jun-14-04 09:44 AM, #6
RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, Jayvee, Jun-14-04 10:32 AM, #7
RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, GhEttOrAiD, Jun-14-04 10:51 AM, #8
RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, DarKReaLity, Jun-14-04 07:54 PM, #9
      RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, 41eclipse, Jun-15-04 01:52 AM, #10
           RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, customrsturbo, Jun-15-04 06:51 AM, #11
                RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, 41eclipse, Jun-15-04 08:51 AM, #12
                     RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, customrsturbo, Jun-15-04 09:56 AM, #13
                          RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, Dirty, Jun-15-04 10:33 AM, #14
                               RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, Cereal5, Jun-15-04 08:02 PM, #15
                                    RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy, 41eclipse, Jun-16-04 01:47 AM, #16

SteveJun-13-04 09:46 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
1542 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72606, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 0

great job but is it just me or does that intercooler pipe like..neck down?..or is it just the angle of the picture?

Steve-o
Top secret.

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I guess I'll just have to live with a 500+ hp AWD 4-banger.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTJun-13-04 10:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#72607, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-13-04 10:14 PM by eclipzGST

You can ditch the loop for the power steering "cooler" also. I just cut the hoses on mine and looped it from the outlet back to the inlet. You don't want that nice core to get all fucked up from rubbing.

edit: Why didn't you run the piping from the turbo towards the left and into the left inlet and then out the right side and straight up to the tb.
You could be using WAY less piping.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

41eclipseJun-14-04 02:46 AM
266 posts,
#72608, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 2

Steve- yeah it necks from 2" to 2 1/2"

EclipzGST- I liked this route better as it is more out of the way. I was thinking of getting rid of the power steering cooler, but it fits for the most part. I'll probably put some hose over it in a couple spots to protect it and the intercooler from rubbing on one another.

av8erJun-14-04 06:01 AM
Member since Feb 22nd 2002
89 posts,
#72614, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 3

that sucker is huge! none the less it looks good.

thank you kaptainmykee.com for hosting

redeclipsetJun-14-04 07:49 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2003
398 posts,
#72615, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 4

what intercooler is that? Is it a hybrid intercooler? I think i might have that exact size one. What size is it?

41eclipseJun-14-04 09:44 AM
266 posts,
#72617, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah, it's a Hybrid

JayveeJun-14-04 10:32 AM
Member since Mar 26th 2002
132 posts,
#72620, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks good, I routed my turbo to intercooler piping the same way, and yeh... that intercooler is big enough.

GhEttOrAiDJun-14-04 10:51 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
#72621, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 0

would you consider making fmic KITS and selling them?

the star dp group buy wasnt big so youd only need to make half a dozen at most

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

DarKReaLityJun-14-04 07:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
934 posts,
#72641, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 8

nice job with the piping, nice welds! in my opinion and for less pressure drop, i would've routed the inlet side of the IC from the turbo behind the radiator to the inlet, it would've been less piping used and less air travel.

41eclipseJun-15-04 01:52 AM
266 posts,
#72645, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 9

Ghettoraid- I probably will not make any IC kits as fitment issues would be hard to guarantee, and also the 304 SS is really expensive for a project this size. After I make my DP and get some more practice with the Tig welder, I would most likely see if anyone wanted to buy a SS DP and/or SS test pipe.

Darkreality- True the piping is longer this way, but it's more out of the way. I did consider the route that you suggested, and it would have been shorter like you said, but It's only marginaly longer this way and only has one extra bend(which is a 45 degree) going this way.

thanks for the props guys.

customrsturboJun-15-04 06:51 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
#72653, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 10

Man, that welding is clean But something doesn't look ok to me, did you check the clearance from the bottom of the IC lower bracket to the floor? It looks kind of low to me. It would be painful to hit something and bye-bye FMIC. Other than that the welding looks so clean, Is this your first time welding?

1995 Eclipse RS-T
GT35R, SPEC Stage 5 clutch
E85 Fuel(Helping the Ecosystem)
MS, v3.0, 029t
10.87 @ 135

41eclipseJun-15-04 08:51 AM
266 posts,
#72664, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 11

The lowest part on the intercooler bracket is 5.5 inches from the floor. Yeah, it's my first time welding, but I had a friend of mine that knows how to weld show me the ropes, he helped me with the brackets, but all the pipe welds are mine. I bought a really nice Tig welder that takes alot of the variables out of welding. And Tig welding is known for making pretty welds.

customrsturboJun-15-04 09:56 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
#72665, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 12

Ok.
And yes, your welding looks great! I bought a flux welding machine, it uses no gas, but the welding is not that clean, add to that that is the fisrt time I also weld. My weld is not pretty, but at least the do the work. Post picture of the project finalize

1995 Eclipse RS-T
GT35R, SPEC Stage 5 clutch
E85 Fuel(Helping the Ecosystem)
MS, v3.0, 029t
10.87 @ 135

DirtyJun-15-04 10:33 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#72669, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 13

Thats some nice shit you got there. Since you have a Tig, maybe you should think about making custom intercoolers. All you have to do is get the cores and fab some intanks for them. I'd do it but I only have a Mig now. A Tig is in my future though. Good job man!

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Cereal5Jun-15-04 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#72676, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 14

Why are you using 304 stainless for piping over aluminum?

Just curious.

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

41eclipseJun-16-04 01:47 AM
266 posts,
#72679, "RE: Intercooler fabrication and install with my new toy"
In response to Reply # 15

Stainless over aluminum for a few reasons, it's less expensive, easier to weld, heat transfer rate is much lower than aluminum which is good for the piping that is after the intercooler IMO. Lastly it's good welding practice before I make my SS downpipe, since ADFX didn't come through on the DP's.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #72604 Previous topic | Next topic