Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #36222
View in linear mode

Subject: "What clutch do you guys recommend running?" Previous topic | Next topic
420aturboDec-19-02 11:42 AM
Member since Apr 08th 2002
964 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36222, "What clutch do you guys recommend running?"

^^^^? I plan to run about 20-22 psi on the high boost setting. What have you found to be the most reliable? How much $$$$?

Are the SPEC clutches any good? How much $$$$?

Built 420a
NER turbo kit T3/T04s ball bearing
AFX UDP
Crane 0014 cams

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Fast420A, Dec-19-02 11:52 AM, #1
RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, 420aturbo, Dec-19-02 12:02 PM, #2
      RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Fast420A, Dec-19-02 12:16 PM, #3
           RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Jasvb TS2K2, Dec-19-02 03:20 PM, #4
                RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Matt_95tgs, Dec-19-02 03:41 PM, #5
                     RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Jasvb TS2K2, Dec-19-02 05:46 PM, #6
                          RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Fast420A, Dec-19-02 06:13 PM, #7
                          RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Matt_95tgs, Dec-20-02 05:16 AM, #8
                               RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Jasvb TS2K2, Dec-20-02 07:32 AM, #9
                                    RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, TeamDeanoD, Dec-21-02 05:37 AM, #10
                                         RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?, Fast420A, Dec-21-02 08:50 AM, #11

Fast420ADec-19-02 11:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36223, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 0

Clutch Masters Stage 3 or 4. Nothing else will last with that kind of power. The HRC clutches are made by Clutchmasters also. Incase you are looking, I have a CM Stage 3 that I used for a little over a year with only bolt ons and cams for sale. I'm looking for $450 + shipping.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420aturboDec-19-02 12:02 PM
Member since Apr 08th 2002
964 posts,
#36224, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 1

Why'd you sell your car bro? Anyways, will the Stage 3 hold to the kind of power that I'm looking to push? Oh, and don't you live in Tampa? -Sean

Built 420a
NER turbo kit T3/T04s ball bearing
AFX UDP
Crane 0014 cams

Fast420ADec-19-02 12:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#36225, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 2

I had to trade the beast in for a 4 door for my wife since she's having my baby boy on Feb. 3rd!

Yes I am in Tampa so it's not that far so we could forget the shipping and meet up if you want it.

As far as the specs go, CM says it holds 110% over the stock clutch.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=shop%2Fflypage&MakeID=39&FromYear=1996&MakeModelID=27904&AppID=1119

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Jasvb TS2K2Dec-19-02 03:20 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#36226, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 3

I run the SPEC Stage 3. I have serious clutch problems. Although I can't attribute them to the clutch itself but more on the fact I really don't know what the guys that installed it did. It clatters and squeaks but it holds. At first, after the 500 mile brake in, it gripped hard. Now, like all turbo 420A, I spin in 1st gear, and 2nd, but third she grips. And no hard clutch drops, past 2k RPM, for me. So I don't know. If I ever need a new clutch, I'm going with a Clutch Masters Stage 4, many guys seem to agree this clutch is great.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2

weasle745: and then to top it off, im not even an attractive guy. I look like Millhouse from the Simpsons, cant put on weight if my life depended on it, etc

Matt_95tgsDec-19-02 03:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#36227, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 4

I have the SPEC stage 3 as well except mine works great with no strange noises. I can be doing 50 mph and drop the car into 3rd and bark the tires with no problem. I've only had the clutch now for about 5000 miles, so I cant speak for how long it will last, but it seems to grip extremely well for me. This is a non modular clutch so you have to buy a flywheel to go with it. I bought the fidanza aluminum flywheel to go with it, and the grand total for the 2 was $850.

Just after I had bought my clutch, I ran into a local guy here in Lansing that builds custom clutches for all applications from old lady driving to tractor pulls. He built my brother a clutch with a ceramic faced disk (same material as CM Stage 4) that is holding up extremely well on his 1998 GSX. This guy can make you a clutch using any type of facings on the clutch disk that you want for far less money than any decent aftermarket clutch. I have personally wittnessed his clutches out perform an ACT 2600, and a Centerforce DF buy substantial margins on a plate-load tester using a STOCK pressure plate. Motofool on this board will soon be selling nearly the same clutch that my brother uses on his GSX that is made by this person, but I don't believe they are available through him yet (correct me if I am wrong). If you want the contact Information to this business, shoot me an email or a PM and I'll fill you in.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

Jasvb TS2K2Dec-19-02 05:46 PM
1419 posts,
#36228, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 5

>This is a non modular clutch so you have to buy a
>flywheel to go with it. I bought the fidanza aluminum
>flywheel to go with it, and the grand total for the 2 was
>$850.

See this explains alot. I never was told about the need for a flywheel. HELL! I would have spent the extra $350 for it if it was going to matter so much. I wonder if now there is time to save the clutch. Had it since June. I get this ugly grind noise when I am high rev and just cruise it in gear to low rpm? Any thought what that might be? If i can still save it than I'll get a Fidanza lightweight and Phantom Grip all together. HELP

weasle745: and then to top it off, im not even an attractive guy. I look like Millhouse from the Simpsons, cant put on weight if my life depended on it, etc

Fast420ADec-19-02 06:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#36229, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 6

If you had a modular clutch (clutch and flywheel together in one piece) then switched to a non modular and didn't buy a flywheel, you wouldn't run at all.

Car Sold

www.Fast420A.com

Matt_95tgsDec-20-02 05:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#36230, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 6

If the clutch isn't slipping, then odds are its fine. About the grinding noise when going from high to low rpm in gear, that sounds like a tranny issue, not a clutch issue.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

Jasvb TS2K2Dec-20-02 07:32 AM
1419 posts,
#36231, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 8

I have had this issue since almost day one. So 5 months now. Had it been a tranny issue wouldn't I have shot the tranny by now? Like I said aside from this it grips and hard. What else should I do beside the flywheels, LSD, when I open it up? At close to $400 for labor I want this to be the last time. TIA.

TeamDeanoDDec-21-02 05:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#36232, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 9

change the mtx fluid with stock or at least make sure they used the stock stuff. I use something different, but I am not going down that road in this post. This will also give you a change to see if there are any shavings/metal in the fluid.....if it is clean/looks brand new with no metal, then maybe it is your clutch.

Some shops just throw in regular gear oil and call it good. This could be your whole problem.

You could just wait it out and buy a whole new transmission if you like.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Fast420ADec-21-02 08:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#36233, "RE: What clutch do you guys recommend running?"
In response to Reply # 10

I drove for a year and a half on a tranny with a blown 3rd gear synchro and the 4th gear one went in the last 3 months. Then one day I had a nice dime sized hole in the tranny.

Car Sold

www.Fast420A.com

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #36222 Previous topic | Next topic