Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #31412
View in linear mode

Subject: "I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too" Previous topic | Next topic
Dave_FLSep-18-02 12:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31412, "I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"

I wish I knew why no one gets this for their car? It seems to be great. I found this and cut and pasted it.....If you want VERY good info about detonation and preignition click on the website at the bottom and go to the tech section. This system seems perfect for me!!! I am going to e-mail them and ask them a few questions.

J&S
While MSD has taken the pro-active approach to ignition control in the way of their BTM units, J&S’s basic controller covers the reactive side of the equation. The J&S Safegaurd uses a knock sensor (standard on most late model ECU equipped cars) to “listen” for detonation, and if it senses any, retards the timing in an effort to prevent engine damage. The J&S units are very fast and sophisticated, and can even retard timing on a per cylinder basis if you so choose. J&S Safegaurds, for their modest asking price of $450-500 dollars, should be considered the best insurance policy for your engine money can buy, and for a small extra outlay in cash, will show you if and when they are pulling out timing. In essence, a J&S unit is a tuning tool and insurance policy all-in-one, not a bad investment for less than the cost of pistons alone.
The new kid on the block from J&S is their Ultra Safegaurd, combining boost dependent ignition retard with the welcome insurance the standard Safegaurd supplies. Although these units don’t offer the multiple spark discharge of a 6BTM, in my opinion they offer the absolute best setup when it comes to a single purchase system for forced induction motors. You can essentially tune the J&S with itself; upon seeing that the unit is pulling out timing under boost, you can alter the retard amount to tune out detonation. And with their dual monitor gauge, you can even see the a/f ratio the engine is running at the time of detonation, allowing you to most accurately pinpoint the cause of the problem. What other product costing less than $600 can you make that claim with?
Check http://safeguard.20m.com/ for more details.

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, fly1, Sep-18-02 01:21 PM, #1
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Matt_95tgs, Sep-18-02 02:21 PM, #2
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, fly1, Sep-18-02 02:40 PM, #3
      RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, TeamAvenger, Sep-18-02 03:43 PM, #4
           RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Teameclipse804, Sep-18-02 05:40 PM, #5
           RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, rameencool, Sep-18-02 06:24 PM, #6
           RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, rameencool, Sep-18-02 06:29 PM, #7
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, WheatKing, Sep-19-02 03:27 AM, #8
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, 97eclipseRS, Sep-19-02 03:52 AM, #9
      RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, TeamAvenger, Sep-19-02 04:48 AM, #10
           RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Joshua97478, Sep-19-02 10:51 AM, #11
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, TeamJasonESi_T, Sep-19-02 11:21 AM, #12
RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, SANDMAN, Sep-19-02 11:34 AM, #13
      RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, TeamJasonESi_T, Sep-19-02 12:12 PM, #14
           RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Dave_FL, Sep-19-02 01:37 PM, #15
                RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, TeamJasonESi_T, Sep-19-02 03:36 PM, #16
                RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, HadesOmega, Sep-19-02 06:23 PM, #17
                RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, RyaN95i4, Sep-20-02 06:29 AM, #18
                     RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Dave_FL, Sep-20-02 08:44 AM, #19
                          RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Super20G, Sep-20-02 04:21 PM, #20
                               RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too, Dave_FL, Sep-21-02 02:04 AM, #21

fly1Sep-18-02 01:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31413, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm just a little confused still. To my understanding, the module looks for knock and retards timing, which is great, because this is something the 4G63 ecu does, and ours don't. In terms of timing control, it seems to be an excellent setup to have, but what about its function as an ignition? Does it provide the high spark needed in boosted engines, such as the Crane or MSD? I may have missed that part. I'm going to reread their description agai

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Matt_95tgsSep-18-02 02:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31414, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 0

Ya know, I was gonna post a thread just like this after reading about that thing. You beat me to it I agree with you completely Dave and I think its a tool that is waaaaaay under looked here.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

fly1Sep-18-02 02:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31415, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 2

Wow, I carefully re-read their product description, and this thing rocks! It seems to be a very advanced, well engineered, ignition module. It's nice to have the boost referenced timing retard feature with the Crane ignition, but that's just "blindly" retarding timing. That SafeGuard actually monitors "knock" and retards timing proportional to the knock counts it "sees." I'm gonna have to start saving for thi

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

TeamAvengerSep-18-02 03:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#31416, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 3

It looks pretty nice. I'm curious how it "measures" knock. It doesn't really go into detail about how to tell it "how" to listen for knock or sensativity of it. I'd love to know how that part actually works (whether it comes with its own knock sensor). An online manual would be nice just to see what is involved in installation. The only limitation that I see with this is that it looks to only be for forced induction applications. I don't think you can advance timing past stock (not that you would for forced indcution anyways).

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Teameclipse804Sep-18-02 05:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#31417, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 4

Turbo honda guys love that thing. It's been around for years, and I remember them having a groupbuy on it back in 2000 at http://www.groupbuycenter.com. Maybe they will have more groupbuys now...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

rameencoolSep-18-02 06:24 PM
Member since Mar 02nd 2002
149 posts,
#31418, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 5

Dave,

Let us know what they say--

I hope its compatable with our ignition system.

me with A-10's Avenger Cannon- can you say depleted uranium rounds?

www.blackjupiter.com (gaming computers - tell everyone you know!)
MODS:

Engine= 60mm TB, Greddy 4-1 Headers, AEM Short Ram, MSD Wires,

rameencoolSep-18-02 06:29 PM
Member since Mar 02nd 2002
149 posts,
#31419, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 4

It uses the stock knock sensor.

Could you still run a multiple-spark ignition with this unit installed???

Obviously not one with timing retard, but just the more powerful spark??

me with A-10's Avenger Cannon- can you say depleted uranium rounds?

www.blackjupiter.com (gaming computers - tell everyone you know!)
MODS:

Engine= 60mm TB, Greddy 4-1 Headers, AEM Short Ram, MSD Wires,

WheatKingSep-19-02 03:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#31420, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been talkin about this box for years.. but no one seems to listen.

Basically this will allow you to crank the ignition timing, and then it uses a knock sensor to pull back the timing, either across the board or per cylinder based on knock.. now if you think about it.. it's kinda cool.. because it will optimize the ignition timing for what your engine and fuel are capable of handling.

It's a safety device that actually will increase your HP if you set it up right.

the knock sensor has a threshold limit on it to differentiate between knock and normal engine noise.

Should your engine experience a fault (ie goes WAY lean), it will pull out timing to help prevent detonation..

ttyl

WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

97eclipseRSSep-19-02 03:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#31421, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 8

i was also going to just post about why we don't somehow use our knock sensor at all against the biggest threat to a boosted engine. this definately is an awesome system, and would relieve that detonation worry off of everyone's mind. is anyone sure that they make this for our ignitions? someone mentioned that it will reduce timing separately for each cylinder, which is possible in a distributor ign., but i was under the impression that our spark is delivered in pairs, meaning the 4 cylinders are not independant, but get their sparks in pairs.

if it isn't available for us i still think that we should somehow make use of the stock knock sensor on our engines. i remember this being discussed a little before and corbin explained why the sensor wasn't easy to get a reading from(something about multiple voltages that it outputs) but i believe it's something worth looking into.

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

TeamAvengerSep-19-02 04:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#31422, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 9

I don't think it sparks in pairs but I believe that the way it is set up that you cannot tell which of 2 cylinders spark at any one time.

As for the knock sensor it is supposed to have voltage of either 0v (no knock) or 5v (knock). I may be off but I remember reading something to that effect last time I was reading through the electrical manual.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Joshua97478Sep-19-02 10:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
#31423, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 10

Wouldn't this be a good companion to AFX's new ecu that advances timing? That way you could run the most advanced timing possible for your situation, and the Safeguard would only retard what was neccesary to prevent detonation.

Fucking Kangaroos.

TeamJasonESi_TSep-19-02 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#31424, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 0

" Although these
>units don’t offer the multiple spark discharge of a 6BTM"

So, does this unit help improve the performance of the ignition discharge at all, or does it merely modify the timing?

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

SANDMANSep-19-02 11:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
132 posts,
#31425, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 12

From what I got when I talked with the designer, it's just to adjust the timing according to engine knock and only when needed. That was over a year ago when Wheatking gave me the site link though :/

Exile Racing Technologies, Inc.

TeamJasonESi_TSep-19-02 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#31426, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 13

If there isn't any sort of ignition amplification, I think the programmeable HO MSD product might still be the pre-eminent in the field.

Not only does it do the all important ignition amplificiation, but IIRC, it has optional add-ons that include knock sensors, and most importantly, allow for boost sensitive timing retard.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

Dave_FLSep-19-02 01:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#31427, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 14

He said it will work in our cars. This was his reply..
David:

Here's a link to our site that show the 1 channel/2 channel unit that will work on your application:

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html

John and Shirley Pizzuto
J&S Electronics
www.jandssafeguard.com
714 534 6975--

The ONLY draw back to this system is that it doesnt make the igniton more powerful. But I think it is still good. Is making our ignition more powerful really that important?? Isnt retarding timing with the MSD or the crane kind of a guessing game?

Dave

TeamJasonESi_TSep-19-02 03:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#31428, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 15

I just did read their site in regards to their product.

Very impressive! Definitely something to consider! (even without the iginition amplifier)

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

HadesOmegaSep-19-02 06:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#31429, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 16

Now doesn't our cars already do this? Pull timing if it senses knock?

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

RyaN95i4Sep-20-02 06:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#31430, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 15

Is he sure he knows your running a 420a? i know they work on the 4g63 ignition, but when i was looking into the J&S, they didnt have an application for my car...of course, that was last summer, theyve added more apps now...but just want to be sure.

isnt the neon ignition system the same as ours? i would have expected to see neon in the same application list as us is why i wondering WHICH eclipse they mean.

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

Dave_FLSep-20-02 08:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#31431, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 18

I told him in the e-mail that I had the chrysler 420a motor. I specified that it was originaly non turbo. I think this thing mihgt be the hot new thing in turboed 420a's. I am shocked that no one has tried this thing out before. I might be the first to do so.

Dave

Super20GSep-20-02 04:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#31432, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 19

But can't you do all that with the programmable msd? I know you can get a lot of additional shit for it like knock sensors...I just have the dis-2 and i am happy, knock on wood i have beat my engine for years now, running up to 24psi on pump gas like a moron... never heard any detonation, but then again, when i get really nasty i am usally listening to music really loud and stoned to the bone, ..... now that really makes you feel safe on the road doesnt it? haha

Dave_FLSep-21-02 02:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#31433, "RE: I might get this instead of the crane..you guys should too"
In response to Reply # 20

By the time you ad up all the things you need for the MSD your are well over $500. This thing is only $550 and can retard timing off of knock. That basicaly makes your car act like factory turboed engine. I am kindof hesitant to be the first one to get this but we will see. I am not going to get anything just yet though. I need to break in the engine first and then I will start looking for a solution to detonation.

Dave

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #31412 Previous topic | Next topic