Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #17910
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rebuild and clutch ?'s" Previous topic | Next topic
41eclipseMar-17-02 01:43 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2002
266 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17910, "Rebuild and clutch ?'s"

I have the star stage 2 and have taken the engine out to put in the bottom end kit from howell (lower compression pistons). I have a question regarding the total seal rings, I have used the search function and some say not to use the total seal rings, since I only want to do the rebuild once can someone tell me if I should really get different rings(JE?). Tomorrow I am taking in the engine block, along with all the bottom end pieces to have the engine shop assemble, so I would have to delay them assembling it if I go with another brand of rings, but if that's what is best then I will order the other rings.

Also from everything I have read(and what I am going to do) I need to get the CM stage 4 clutch, can someone tell me the best(i.e. cheapest) place to get the cluch. I have a 95 with the non-modular cluch?, I think. I have it out and it is different from other cluches that I have seen. The ring gear is kind of by itself on a piece of thick sheet metal that bolts to the back of the clutch assembly with 4 bolts. The pressure plate and flywheel surface are riveted together with the disc stuck in between the two. Apparently I would need to buy a flywheel also

Also what is the best head gasket to use? Should I get a mopar?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s, Super20G, Mar-17-02 02:26 PM, #1
RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s, HadesOmega, Mar-17-02 05:00 PM, #2
      RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s, 41eclipse, Mar-17-02 05:12 PM, #3
           RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s, randy, Mar-17-02 05:15 PM, #4
                RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s, Fast420A, Mar-17-02 07:00 PM, #5
                     RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s, 41eclipse, Mar-18-02 06:16 AM, #6

Super20GMar-17-02 02:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17911, "RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s"
In response to Reply # 0

as for the headgasket, the factory mls gasket is fine, i have boosted 28psi on many of occation without any problems. Also remember to use ARP head studs n/ shit, cause under extreme boost conditions, the head and block can actually pull apart with shitty studs, or so i hear. as for the piston rings, i cant help you out there, anyone else? I know the rings arent usually the problem though, its mostly a cracked piston or throwing a rod, but thats not to say ring failure is non-existent.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HadesOmegaMar-17-02 05:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17912, "RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s"
In response to Reply # 1

you might have a later model 95 that came with the modular design. Rings are usually the first I hear to go in a stock 420A they're the weakest link I suppose. Don't know about total seal though. Good luck happy boosting.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

41eclipseMar-17-02 05:12 PM
266 posts,
#17913, "RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the help so far guys. I have done some more research and it is most definitely the modular type. I have to switch over to the non-modular to use the cm stage 4...right? So where's the cheapest place to get a cm stage 4? Thanks!!!

randyMar-17-02 05:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
662 posts,
#17914, "RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s"
In response to Reply # 3

I believe CM sells a modular one also. Someone on this board posted the Part.# a week ago.

96 RST: Star Performance stag
05 scion xb: bolt ons
92 nissan 240sx
07 toyota sienna

Fast420AMar-17-02 07:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#17915, "RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s"
In response to Reply # 4

CM makes all their clutches in modular and non modular.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

41eclipseMar-18-02 06:16 AM
266 posts,
#17916, "RE: Rebuild and clutch ?'s"
In response to Reply # 5

If I'm in there anyhow wouldn't it be better to go non-modular? Also someone please tell me where to get the CM stage 4 clutch, the only place that I can find it is CM's web site and it is almost 750 bucks. There is a place that is a little cheaper...right??? I ordered the energy suspension motor mount kit from Checker Auto Parts, it was 20.99 which is a little more than Summit, but there is no shipping charge. Just thought some of you might like to know. They said it would take 2-3 weeks to get it, not a problem for me, since the engine is at the machine shop now. Thanks!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #17910 Previous topic | Next topic