Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #1398
View in linear mode

Subject: "I wonder is this even do-able?" Previous topic | Next topic
Phat99EclipseJan-31-01 02:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1398, "I wonder is this even do-able?"

I was browsing thru an old Summit Racing catalog, and noticed that they have JE Pistons for the chevy's, fords, etc... for the same price as a set for us. They get 8 pistons while we get only 4... This doesn't sound fair, but I guess that's the price we pay for being in such a new (relatively speaking) niche of performance junkies...

I know when people buy the stuff they are buying custom parts that are not necessarily the same size as stock...

Now here is my proposal... What if we had the specs on the pistons we need for the 420A motor, but called saying we were building up a chevy or ford (you take your pick), but with a very custom purpose... Could we get 8 pistons for the same price as if we were calling and ordering for the 420A? Could this mean 2 people could go in together and split the cost of the set of 8 and thereby cutting the cost of pistons in half? Same question for the con rods...

Am I just sniffing glue or does this sound reasonable? I'd love to hear everyone's input... Unless Bill at HRC can really give us a decent price on the these, kinda like a group buy or something...

Later
DoN

'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
AEM Big Brake Kit
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
How much are you boosting with those stock internals?, ECLiPSE56, Jan-31-01 03:20 PM, #1
RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?, BoostnRS, Jan-31-01 03:32 PM, #2
      RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?, 95ESi, Jan-31-01 05:17 PM, #3
           RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-31-01 06:41 PM, #4
           RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?, Administratoradmin, Feb-02-01 02:24 PM, #6
RE: I wonder is this even do-able?, Phat99Eclipse, Jan-31-01 10:47 PM, #5

ECLiPSE56Jan-31-01 03:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
181 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1399, "How much are you boosting with those stock internals?"
In response to Reply # 0

-FiFty SiX- 1997 Mitsu Eclipse RS (soon to be boostin. .)
--_----_-_-_-DSM Bay Area Chapter-_---__--_-

Allan
allan@sablan.org

--=-=-=-=----------representin NoRCALi/BaY ArEa since '97-----=-=-=-=------

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BoostnRSJan-31-01 03:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#1400, "RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hehehe.. You could try, but i think they will just laugh at you simply because v8 pistons are that much bigger than what we are running.

Good luck tho !

95ESiJan-31-01 05:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#1401, "RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?"
In response to Reply # 2

shouldn't bigger pistons cost more????
so unfair!

v8 parts so much cheaper =(

l e o n

TeamJeff_99gsJan-31-01 06:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1402, "RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hell, there's no reason not to try it. See what you can come up with and let us know! I'm sure people would go in for some REALLY cheap pistons/rods. (I would if I were turbo)

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

AdministratoradminFeb-02-01 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
100 posts,
#1403, "RE: How much are you boosting with those stock internals?"
In response to Reply # 3

they have probably amortized the design costs already, so they only need to charge for production costs and a bit of profit.

prices for parts for our cars will probably come down over time. Basic factors of a free market economy, or something like that (you biz-nobs out there ought to know .

juan

Phat99EclipseJan-31-01 10:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
#1404, "RE: I wonder is this even do-able?"
In response to Reply # 0

Still 6psi... Plan on turning the boost to 8psi this weekend. After I change the oil. I've got 500miles on the kit so far and just getting used to the boost...

DoN

'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #1398 Previous topic | Next topic