Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109120
View in linear mode

Subject: "Depressurize fuel to open SFMU" Previous topic | Next topic
JJan-12-12 10:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109120, "Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"

Forgive my memory, but do I need to depressurize my fuel system to replace the ring/disc/spring in the SFMU? I want to say I can just pop the top and do whatever... but I'm trying to avoid a big mess of flamable liquid as well.

1.) No need, open away!
2.) Just pop the gas tank cap!
3.) Unplug fuel pump under rear seat and start car!

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU, Fallen4ng31, Jan-12-12 11:35 AM, #1
RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU, J, Jan-12-12 12:54 PM, #2
      RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-12-12 01:15 PM, #3
           RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU, J, Jan-12-12 01:41 PM, #4
           RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU, Dstach, Jan-13-12 12:57 AM, #5
                RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-05-12 04:02 AM, #6

Fallen4ng31Jan-12-12 11:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109121, "RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"
In response to Reply # 0

It's best practice to de-pressurize the line anytime you'll be working with the fuel system.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JJan-12-12 12:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#109122, "RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
It's best practice to de-pressurize the line anytime you'll be working with the fuel system.

While I agree that it's best practice, I just bought a new hardware support kit from Vortech (essentially new discs/rings/spring) and wanted to start tinkering again... preferrably each morning try a new combo on the way to work, and was trying/hoping to minimize the effort involved each morning.

Anyone know if either option 1 or 2 would be alright?
- J

AdministratorCODE4Jan-12-12 01:15 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#109123, "RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"
In response to Reply # 2

I would suggest depressurizing too.

But I do not see the need for getting under the rear seat for option 3, just unplug the fuel pump relay and crank the motor.

If you are doing this work every morning after the car has sat through the night, there should not be any residual pressure left in the line though.

---

2012 2500HD LML

JJan-12-12 01:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#109125, "RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-12-12 01:45 PM by J

HMmmmm, didn't think about that... I don't have to be at work till 10a, but I don't get off till after 6p (so it'll be too dark to mess around). This will make my life easier, thanks!

As an afterthought (if my tinkering persists), I may just wire a kill switch in the center console

::updated::
lol, just noticed this thread must be for Floridians by Floridians

- J

DstachJan-13-12 12:57 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#109128, "RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by CODE4
If you are doing this work every morning after the car has sat through the night, there should not be any residual pressure left in the line though.

+1

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-12 04:02 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#109151, "RE: Depressurize fuel to open SFMU"
In response to Reply # 5

You must depressurize the system. The plunger in the lower body can come flying out as well as fuel if you dont.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109120 Previous topic | Next topic