Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108979
View in linear mode

Subject: "PCV valve sucks" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCSep-28-11 08:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108979, "PCV valve sucks"
Sep-28-11 08:06 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

So apparently my PCV valve has been bad for quite some time now. Under normal driving, idling and vaccum all the way up to atmospheric has been fine, but once under boost the crankcase has been getting pressurized due to a crapped out PCV.

I know our PCV valves aren't designed to be used for boosted applications and have read that some are using a 4g63 "threaded" PCV which works a little better. I want to keep this from happening again (as much as I can), so here are my questions/options:

1. forget about it and throw on another stock PCV valve?
2. get some type of performance check valve and retrofit it?
3. purchase a 4g63 PCV, mod and use it?

i also read in a previous thread that dino was/is running a brake booster vacuum resovoir check valve, which would definately prevent any leaks and last much longer. anyway, thoughts/suggestions are encouraged. thankz youz guyz

current setup:
boosted (obviously)
standard PCV setup
crankcase evac system hosed to downpipe

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SilvrEclipsSep-28-11 08:12 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108980, "RE: PCV valve sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

I dont run a PCV valve for this reason. Just a hose dumping to the ground for now, planning on routing it to a catch can soon. Mine always leaked under boost and would shoot oil out the breather. I got tired of cleaning oil off everything

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ebster1085Sep-28-11 08:37 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#108981, "RE: PCV valve sucks"
In response to Reply # 1

I do the same as Silver. I run a Road Race Engineering catch can that has dual inlets and a breather filter on top. I run lines from both VC nipples to the can and drain it every oil change.

On a boosted application, IMO, that is the best way to do it.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-28-11 12:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#108982, "RE: PCV valve sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i also read in a previous thread that dino was/is running a brake booster vacuum resovoir check valve, which would definately prevent any leaks and last much longer.

$2 in the HELP! section at AZ...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Slo2gSep-28-11 10:16 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#108983, "RE: PCV valve sucks"
In response to Reply # 3

Yep, replace it, a proper catch can set up would do wonders as well.

bagged420aOct-28-11 04:32 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2009
107 posts,
#109043, "RE: PCV valve sucks"
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-28-11 05:45 PM by bagged420a

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC i also read in a previous thread that dino was/is running a brake booster vacuum resovoir check valve, which would definately prevent any leaks and last much longer.
$2 in the HELP! section at AZ...

When doing this, do you just replace the stock pcv valve and put this in its location?

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108979 Previous topic | Next topic