Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108951
View in linear mode

Subject: "powder coating FMIC and piping?" Previous topic | Next topic
junkyarddsmSep-12-11 07:36 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2010
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108951, "powder coating FMIC and piping?"

Would powder coating my fmic and piping a dark grey hurt the performance and operation? Or would doing this cause problems with not flowing the air as it should or cause it to not cool the air proper?

Finish? What is this "finish" you speak of sir? Dsm's are never complete just temporarily put together.

97 eclipse gone but never forgotten Ill miss you money pit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, Slo2g, Sep-12-11 07:54 AM, #1
RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, ez, Sep-12-11 11:56 AM, #2
      RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, Slo2g, Sep-12-11 12:19 PM, #3
           RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, ez, Sep-12-11 01:10 PM, #4
                RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, junkyarddsm, Sep-12-11 11:26 PM, #5
                RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, Progress, Sep-13-11 12:00 AM, #7
                RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, Progress, Sep-12-11 11:51 PM, #6
                     RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, junkyarddsm, Sep-13-11 12:46 AM, #8
                          RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, Progress, Sep-13-11 01:37 AM, #9
                               RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-27-11 03:02 AM, #10
                                    RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?, junkyarddsm, Sep-27-11 06:43 AM, #11

Slo2gSep-12-11 07:54 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108952, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes it will hurt performance, whether you will notice it or not depends on how much boost you are running and what the efficiency of your intercooler is. If you want to change the color without hurting performance look into getting the FMIC anodized and powder coat the piping.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezSep-12-11 11:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#108953, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 1

You can use radiator paint. Much less expensive than anodizing. It only comes in black though, AFAIK.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Slo2gSep-12-11 12:19 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#108954, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 2

Even radiator paint will affect it. How thick you spray it, how much boost, what size turbo, and how efficient your intercooler is all take effect on if you will notice a difference from it. Most people probably wont to be honest.

ezSep-12-11 01:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#108955, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-12-11 01:11 PM by ez

edit: stupid autocorrect

Technically, yes. But does radiator paint significantly affect IC efficiency? NO.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

junkyarddsmSep-12-11 11:26 PM
75 posts,
#108956, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 4

Looking at running about 8-10 psi. Supercharged not turbo It is an m90 I am at work right now or id have the number of what it will be flowing. The intercooler is a top to bottom freed one side. The dimensions of the FMIC are 24'' long, 13'' tall, 2 3/4'' thick, with 2 1/2 inlet and our lets. The numbers are for the core only not the end tanks.

Thanks for the help on this I kinda had a felling that I could cause problems or not preform as it should.

Finish? What is this "finish" you speak of sir? Dsm's are never complete just temporarily put together.

ProgressSep-13-11 12:00 AM
Member since Jul 23rd 2010
13 posts,
#108958, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 5

How do you plan on running a M90 with a air to air intercooler, that supercharger is a topmount twin-screw supercharger made by Eaton, the same one found on my wifes 99 Grand Prix GTP, I have intercooled hers, but it is a air to water plate that goes under the main body, between it and the lower intake. I just dont see how that would be possable to air to air cool the charge.

ProgressSep-12-11 11:51 PM
13 posts,
#108957, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 4

I dont know how much it affects performance, but I do know that Perrin Motorsports makes flat black FMIC kits for the WRX and WRX STI. I helped my buddy install their kit on his 2010 STI and it seems like a pretty durable paint, wheather it be powdercoated or just painted, but the intercooler and piping is flat black with black silicone connecting hoses... So for a big name brand company to produce a FMIC kit for mainstream performance vehicles of that manor, would make me think that it DOESNT affect performance to the point that street vehicles will ever feel the performance difference, he is running 23psi, now yes I agree that without running a non-painted core and logging intake temps on both and comparing the two, it would be hard to say if there is a signifigant difference. I have seen a few people paint the end-tanks, that seems acceptable, and the IC piping, but to my way of thinking, it WOULD affect temps. I remember reading on here that someone had done a comparison of a painted and non-painted core and logged the temps and all, but to be quite honest, I dont remember the outcome of it. I would say not to do it, but thats just my 2 cents for what its worth.

junkyarddsmSep-13-11 12:46 AM
75 posts,
#108959, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok well from the senses of the posts seems that powder coatings a bad idea. Im going to just leave it the plain. I have no problem with that its just color.

As for how im going with a air to air intercooler it is because my m90 is not the same as yours. It is off of the 89-96 thunderbird supercoupe. It is built to be air to air intercooled. Ill be posting the build once I get home from deployment so keep an eye out.

ProgressSep-13-11 01:37 AM
13 posts,
#108960, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 8

I am not all too familar with the M90 off of the ThunderChicken, so I cant say how that setup will work, I know that the nose-cones are the exact same, but I am very interested in seeing how it goes and what the end result is. I will add this much, depending on how much boost you are looking to run, you might want to look into a COG BELT system if you plan on getting around the 3.0 pulley! I know that the 3.8 has quite a bit more power to spin the belt without loss in overall power, so the 2.0 might not have this issue, but even with a 6rib belt system and larger tensioner pulley, we started having belt slip issues when we went down to the 3.0 pulley because it was trying to turn that thing so fast on that small pulley that the belt just couldnt grip. We couldnt even finish dyno tuning it because we couldnt get the boost to stay consistant, so we saved for the Eaton COG system which was stupidly priced, but now that we have no belt issues, we found that we could go down to the 2.8 pulley and its now tuned and sounds CRAZY! Keep us posted and thank you for what you do over there!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-27-11 03:02 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#108977, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 9

The Eaton Charger used on the Superpoop was a reverse direction Roots type blower. The air charger exited upwards and was directed to an external intercooler. The charge was then directed back tot he intake.

Using this design will be tricky becuase you cant just make a plate for it to sit on top of the intake. A simple custom intake that sits very low will make this not all that difficult but your going to need ot build an intake.

Not all that hard just a lot of test fitting and welding. If you cant do your own alum welding....might not be a project for you.

junkyarddsmSep-27-11 06:43 AM
75 posts,
#108978, "RE: powder coating FMIC and piping?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sep-27-11 06:45 AM by junkyarddsm

Great thing about being part of a 2nd maintenance shop is we have welders and other needed tool to get the job done. Played a lot with aluminum welding. 2 more months and ill start my build thread. On a side note with almost 3k in the parts to late to quit lol.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108951 Previous topic | Next topic