Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107760
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help me please no boost!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
doughboy23Apr-07-10 05:46 PM
Member since Mar 24th 2008
15 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107760, "Help me please no boost!!!"
Apr-07-10 06:10 PM by doughboy23

OK i bought a turbo kit off a friend that consisted of a garrett ar 60 turbo a log style manifold , fmic all piping a true greddy rs bov turbonetics 38mm wastegate home made downpipe obx 12:1 fmu, apexi safc afc not installed and a wally 255 and a set of 450cc 4g63 injectors i knew everthing was good because I drove his car with the kit installed on it.. We took the kit off his car an put it on my girl friends 98 rs 5spd I also put the electronic fcd from a member on this site .Any ways I started the car up an let it idle for 10 mins to be sure there were no leaks of any sort before I took it outta the drive way..There were no leaks by the way!So i backed it outta the drive way an headed down the road i layed into it an long behold no boost at all boost gauge came from 8psi oF vac an stopped at 0 an then drooped back down to 8psi of vac. Everything is the same way it was on his car and it boosted fine i have no boost leaks that i can hear or see anyway when I boost leak check it.i searched the forum before i posted this ..Any ideas would be helpful!!thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help me please no boost!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-07-10 06:02 PM, #1
RE: Help me please no boost!!!, doughboy23, Apr-07-10 06:12 PM, #2
      RE: Help me please no boost!!!, bluespunk, Apr-07-10 10:11 PM, #3
           RE: Help me please no boost!!!, baconater3000, Apr-08-10 12:43 AM, #4
                RE: Help me please no boost!!!, Ebster1085, Apr-08-10 07:35 AM, #5
                     RE: Help me please no boost!!!, Fallen4ng31, Apr-08-10 08:34 AM, #6
                     RE: Help me please no boost!!!, TeamDR1665, Apr-08-10 10:30 AM, #7
                          RE: Help me please no boost!!!, doughboy23, Apr-08-10 03:58 PM, #8
                               RE: Help me please no boost!!!, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-08-10 08:45 PM, #9
                               RE: Help me please no boost!!!, Ebster1085, Apr-08-10 08:46 PM, #10
                                    RE: Help me please no boost!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-10-10 11:08 AM, #11
                                         RE: Help me please no boost!!!, baconater3000, Apr-11-10 10:22 AM, #12
                                              RE: Help me please no boost!!!, TeamDR1665, Apr-11-10 05:07 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Help me please no boost!!!, meekial, Apr-11-10 08:50 PM, #14
                                                   RE: Help me please no boost!!!, baconater3000, Apr-21-10 01:51 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Help me please no boost!!! , megaskillz, Apr-21-10 08:05 AM, #16
                                                             RE: Help me please no boost!!! , baconater3000, Apr-21-10 11:05 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Help me please no boost!!! , TeamDR1665, Apr-21-10 01:27 PM, #18
                                                                       RE: Help me please no boost!!! , RoninEclipse2G, Apr-21-10 06:51 PM, #19

RoninEclipse2GApr-07-10 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107761, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by doughboy23
Lots of words presented in an unreadable manner...

Yeah.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

doughboy23Apr-07-10 06:12 PM
15 posts,
#107762, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

please point out unreadable words! I've read an read it agian to see whats wrong i see nothing mispelled wrong or unreadable.thanks

bluespunkApr-07-10 10:11 PM
Member since Apr 08th 2008
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#107763, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

please point out unreadable words! I've read an read it agian to see whats wrong i see nothing mispelled wrong or unreadable.thanks

You need to use punctuation and grammar correctly here or you are not likely to get answers to your questions. You should also post in the correct forum.

I don't know much about turbos, so I can't offer any real help. I will tell you that it's usually easier to catch something you've missed if you walk away from it for an hour or two and look at it again with a clear head. As far as a leak though, I would think it would be like any other leak, just because you can't see/feel/hear it doesn't mean its not there. It could just be several small leaks instead of one giant one.

I think you mentioned that your manifold was homemade, have you checked to make sure it seals properly? Could you have cracked/broken anything during removal or installation? Did you drop any parts during the install?

If it were my car, I would go get something to eat, watch a movie, and then take another look at it. If I still couldn't find the issue, I'd start pulling off parts one at a time and inspecting them.

My build: verttuner.com (hosted on my blog)

baconater3000Apr-08-10 12:43 AM
Member since Aug 11th 2009
104 posts,
#107764, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

This is the first time I saw a car not boost....That is with a turbo setup lol. Mainly If it will boost from -8psi...(NOT 8PSI) to 0psi...Then you must have a simple exhaust leak....Another thing you might want to check is your tuning, your whole setup and wastegate. Also with that said..Welcome to 2GNT Forums. Now start working with your grammar. Nobody can stand the fact that you have no periods, or typo errors. Also make sure to read the forum rules and post your question/post in the right forum. (This would go in the turbo/nitrous forum...But other than that welcome.

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

Originally posted by barza21
barza + turbo = honda owning!!!!

Ebster1085Apr-08-10 07:35 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#107765, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

I would start by looking at your wastegate and also looking for a massive boost leak. Probably one of the two.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Fallen4ng31Apr-08-10 08:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#107766, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-08-10 08:37 AM by Fallen4ng31

First, vacuum is measured in inches of mercury (inHg) i.e. - 1 inHg = 3,386.389 pascals at 0 °C.

It sounds like you've got a huge vac/boost leak. Especially if at idle your car is pulling 8 inHg. Get a boost leak tester, and use it.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

TeamDR1665Apr-08-10 10:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#107767, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-08-10 10:31 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by Ebster1085
I would start by looking at your wastegate and also looking for a massive boost leak. Probably one of the two.

With an external wastegate (WG), you need to be sure you hook up the vacuum lines correctly or you might have it opening/closing at the wrong times. If the WG is open all the time, then all your boost is going right out the tailpipe. Do a little research on what vac lines go to which fittings on that WG and confirm yours are set accordingly.

(EDIT: My WG plumbing suggestion stems from experience with a disconnected internal WG on my own car. When the flapper was free to move as it liked, it would open as soon as the turbo began to build pressure and the car made 0psi.)

Also, bear in mind that PSI means jack shit by itself. An internally stock 420A can handle 7-8psi all day long, given that's being pumped through the 10^2cm HRC Super 16G, but how does the airflow of your 60-trim compare to that 16G? If your turbo flows more air (CFM), you might need to run LESS than 7psi in order to be safe. Some more homework for you if you feel like being serious and knowing what's going on under your hood.

There are people who buy fast cars.
There are people who install turbo kits on their cars.
There are people who understand the theory at work under the hood.
Which do YOU want to be?

doughboy23Apr-08-10 03:58 PM
15 posts,
#107772, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok My mistake on spelling etc.I'm at a total loss on this topic!The manifold is a logstyle manifold that came from ebay it was not home made.The downpipe however was made from the ebay flange they sell.When I installed the kit I purchased all brand new gaskets, oil feed line an return lines .I did this to cut down on the chance of problems like this now. .I own a 96 tsi awd talon Ive never had a problem with it boosting even after a complete motor rebuild.I'm new to boosting the 420a cars but i wouldn't think it would be that much difference when it comes to boosting anyway.Now I did unhook the vaccum from the side of the wastegate today an that didnt do anything either!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-08-10 08:45 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#107774, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

I would answer with whatever the solution is but I get lost reading run on sentences. Do what everyone tells you. if they are wrong, well i am sure you will stumble onto the solution on the way.

Ebster1085Apr-08-10 08:46 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#107775, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

If you are certain the wastegate is hooked up correctly, then we are back to a huge boost/vacuum leak. The fact that your car is idling at 8in/hg makes that even more likely.

Go to home depot and pick up a few supplies to build yourself a boost leak tester. Pressurize the entire system, and listen to where you hear air escaping from. If you are unable to pinpoint the exact spot, there are other ways to narrow it down like a smoke test.

RoninEclipse2GApr-10-10 11:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#107782, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

It's mostly one giant run-on sentence with a lack of properly capitalized letters, punctuation and spacing between thoughts.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

baconater3000Apr-11-10 10:22 AM
104 posts,
#107783, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by doughboy23 please point out unreadable words! I've read an read it agian to see whats wrong i see nothing mispelled wrong or unreadable.thanks
It's mostly one giant run-on sentence with a lack of properly capitalized letters, punctuation and spacing between thoughts.

Ronin no more than I agree with that but yet again. Everytime we bag on someone like this they never find help...Lets help the poor little #### and let him be on his merry way...I would recheck those vaccumm hoses like everyone states...If that isn't it, YOU HAVE A BIG FUCKING EXHAUST LEAK! Just go do some fucking work on the car till you find out what it is. Its not that damn hard man.

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

TeamDR1665Apr-11-10 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#107784, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 12
Apr-11-10 05:12 PM by DR1665

Originally posted by baconater3000
Ronin no more than I agree with that but yet again. Everytime we bag on someone like this they never find help...Lets help the poor little #### and let him be on his merry way...I would recheck those vaccumm hoses like everyone states...If that isn't it, YOU HAVE A BIG FUCKING EXHAUST LEAK! Just go do some fucking work on the car till you find out what it is. Its not that damn hard man.

What's that saying, again? People in glass houses or something...

Individuals whose failings at grammar, punctuation, and spelling, and whose tenure/participation with the community amounts to less than a couple hundred posts or so, really ought to think twice before pulling their knives in a gunfight.

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself, fuck-o.

meekialApr-11-10 08:50 PM
Member since Jan 04th 2010
11 posts,
#107785, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

I would check to see if your wastegate is stuck open, then I would check your intercooler setup for major boost leaks.

baconater3000Apr-21-10 01:51 AM
104 posts,
#107816, "RE: Help me please no boost!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by baconater3000 Ronin no more than I agree with that but yet again. Everytime we bag on someone like this they never find help...Lets help the poor little #### and let him be on his merry way...I would recheck those vaccumm hoses like everyone states...If that isn't it, YOU HAVE A BIG FUCKING EXHAUST LEAK! Just go do some fucking work on the car till you find out what it is. Its not that damn hard man.
What's that saying, again? People in glass houses or something... Individuals whose failings at grammar, punctuation, and spelling, and whose tenure/participation with the community amounts to less than a couple hundred posts or so, really ought to think twice before pulling their knives in a gunfight. Judge not lest ye be judged yourself, fuck-o.

As i know you arent directly pointing at me..But hold your tongue fool....You was down to the lower posts as everyone else...things get started for dumbest reasons...I stated the obvious...And yet he doesn't want to listen...I have been working on boosted cars for a while....His biggest problem is either a WG problem or a exhause leak..(boost leak) Thanks, that is all.

megaskillzApr-21-10 08:05 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#107817, "RE: Help me please no boost!!! "
In response to Reply # 15

Whoa guys... Can we all just get along here? Lol. Alright, I agree with some of the others as to what the problem is. If you dont have access to a boost leak tester, then an easy way to check for boost leaks that I would recommend is to use a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Spray possible areas for leaks. If you start to see air bubbles, then you have identified your problem area.

baconater3000Apr-21-10 11:05 AM
104 posts,
#107818, "RE: Help me please no boost!!! "
In response to Reply # 16
Apr-21-10 11:12 AM by baconater3000

Originally posted by megaskillz
Whoa guys... Can we all just get along here? Lol. Alright, I agree with some of the others as to what the problem is. If you dont have access to a boost leak tester, then an easy way to check for boost leaks that I would recommend is to use a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Spray possible areas for leaks. If you start to see air bubbles, then you have identified your problem area.

See just like he said...I'm here to collect as much info as I can about my 2gnt....not be part of rants and raves ok...NEW THING to look for. Pull the turbo and check for any damage... That is what a buddy told me to tell you to look for...I personally don't think that would be it..(I will apologize for anything bad I said). Anyway that being said have a good day to all....http://www.modernperformance.com/inch-boost-leak-tester-turbocharged-engines-p-1971.html boost leak tester/

TeamDR1665Apr-21-10 01:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#107819, "RE: Help me please no boost!!! "
In response to Reply # 17

Everytime we bag on someone like this they never find help...Lets help the poor little #### and let him be on his merry way...

You was down to the lower posts as everyone else...things get started for dumbest reasons...I stated the obvious...And yet he doesn't want to listen...I have been working on boosted cars for a while....

Ok. Post count is irrelevant.
You say you "stated the obvious" and that the other guy "doesn't want to listen." You've been working on boosted cars for a while..."

I, too, stated the obvious, if not in a more subtle fashion. OBVIOUSLY, your execrable spelling, punctuation, and grammar nullifies any relevant experience or expertise you might have, as stature within this text-based environment relies upon such things. Consistent deficiencies in these areas demonstrates either an unwillingness or inability to apply yourself to efforts conducive to implied competence. I suspect the former, in which case you are not listening either.

Experience around turbocharged engines is one thing, but we are not known for our mechanical experiences. We are known for the experiences others have with us, personally. You could be the most skilled expert on the planet. If your shit's all retarded and you talk like a fag, nobody will give a damn what you have to say. This reply goes to the opposite extreme, but serves to illustrate the experience you just gave the FNG.

Food for thought. If you want to be a lazy smart ass who writes like a 4th grade drop out, fine, but know that you're not the only person who can handle a wrench and the others who can might be asking themselves, if he's too lazy or defiant to do the posting thing right, what else does he not do right under the hood?

We say this time and time again. Ironic how many people just don't listen...

RoninEclipse2GApr-21-10 06:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#107820, "RE: Help me please no boost!!! "
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by DR1665
A really good post that you should scroll back up and take the time to read.

Exactly.

Perception is reality. If you post like all the retards on the honduh forums, we're going to treat you like a retard from a honduh forum. If you take the time to properly word your posts and act like an adult with a decent education, we're going to treat you as such.

Erik P.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107760 Previous topic | Next topic