Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107072
View in linear mode

Subject: "I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy" Previous topic | Next topic
RallyEclipse98Aug-28-09 06:12 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
165 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107072, "I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"

I am thinking of turboing my 420a but I like the fuel milage I get and don't want to ruin that. What turbos would be good candidates to increase or at least not drastically reduce my milage? Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, ModeratorCorbin, Aug-28-09 07:56 PM, #1
RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, Flipboi89, Aug-28-09 07:59 PM, #2
      RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, Raine883, Sep-02-09 06:24 PM, #3
           RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-03-09 03:23 PM, #4
                RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, Raine883, Sep-07-09 05:52 PM, #5
                     RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, Tuxdreamerx, Sep-07-09 05:56 PM, #6
                          RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy, Malenko, Sep-09-09 10:05 AM, #7

ModeratorCorbinAug-28-09 07:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107073, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 0

With a turbo, fuel economy is entirely within the control of your right foot. If you choose the turbine correctly, the restriction on the exhaust will be minimal. If you keep the engine out of boost, you can keep the A/F lean and retain your mileage. When you put your foot down and get into boost, your A/F will have to be richer and mileage will drop as your power increases (that relationship is unavoidable). I have kept a log of every gallon of gas that has been put in my car for the past twelve years. If I avoid tanks where I was tuning or screwing around, my average mixed city/highway mileage is essentially the same. That covers bone stock to NA bolt-on to turbo bolt-on to fully built w/ turbo. When I am tuning or screwing around, my mileage drops like a stone. It is within your control. There is on automatic penalty for adding a turbo.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Flipboi89Aug-28-09 07:59 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107074, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 1

^x2

I have a 16g and built motor and I still get around 29 highway mpg. Now I barely go into boost so that goes into effect.

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

Raine883Sep-02-09 06:24 PM
Member since Jul 17th 2009
49 posts,
#107096, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 2

The truth of the matter is its not what you drive but how you drive it, my ram 5.2 gets 23 my eclipse/talon gets 14-19

Why did i turbo a 420a? Why is your 4g63 smoking in a ditch?

RoninEclipse2GSep-03-09 03:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#107103, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Raine883
my eclipse/talon gets 14-19

Your smiles to the gallon must be through the roof.

To the OP. Good gas mileage with a turbo is more dependant on your right foot than the turbo size. With My WRX I could get 30mpg or I could get 17mpg. For good mileage I just had to keep my right foot light and upshift BEFORE the turbo spooled up.

Hell, I've gotten horrible mileage with my NA 420a Eclipse, it was around 13mpg IIRC, but I was having a shit ton of fun at the local track (road course). I even managed to setup some clean passes on cars that I shouldn't have been able to pass that day It was a good way to waste a tank in half a day.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Raine883Sep-07-09 05:52 PM
Member since Jul 17th 2009
49 posts,
#107125, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 4

Your right, All those hot houston nights, im currently building a hideaway license plate out of two antenna actuators. The truth is its not what you drive its how you drive, a prius only gets 16mpg at WOT, thats something to think about.

Why did i turbo a 420a? Why is your 4g63 smoking in a ditch?

TuxdreamerxSep-07-09 05:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#107126, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 5

Agreed my buddys Ram hemi only gets 7mpg but he drives it like he stole it. I just recently got 30mpg on a tank on my 98 NA talon but I was grandma driving it.

MalenkoSep-09-09 10:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#107132, "RE: I want a turbo that won't kill my fuel economy"
In response to Reply # 6

My fuel economy actually improved a little when I had a turbo; but when I got a lead foot it dropped like a rock.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107072 Previous topic | Next topic