Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #89889
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install" Previous topic | Next topic
BumpinTalonSep-22-05 07:56 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#89889, "Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"

Alright my car is getting very tough to start after my Walbro install. Once underway, it is totally fine and everything looks just like it did at stock although my mileage has taken a bit of a hit. But, it takes almost a second now to start the car (about 10 cranks) while it took only about 4 cranks right after the install. No fuel leaks or vacuum leaks anywhere.

What is causing this problem? Could a leak between the output end of the pump and the input on the fuel pump assy (usually bridged by a section of hose) cause this problem? I don't think a clogged vent line could cause this. How can I diagnose this problem?

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, cartuners00, Sep-22-05 02:39 PM, #1
RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, MCubed45, Sep-22-05 03:09 PM, #2
      RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, djtrickee, Sep-22-05 05:21 PM, #3
           RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, BumpinTalon, Sep-23-05 04:03 AM, #4
                RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, ModeratorCorbin, Sep-23-05 09:33 AM, #5
                RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, BumpinTalon, Sep-29-05 07:17 AM, #6
                RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, MCubed45, Sep-29-05 03:51 PM, #7
                     RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, EclipseTenzoR, Oct-19-05 07:25 PM, #8
                          RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-20-05 06:45 AM, #9
                               RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, EclipseTenzoR, Oct-20-05 09:32 AM, #10
                                    RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-21-05 06:32 AM, #11

cartuners00Sep-22-05 02:39 PM
Member since Nov 10th 2003
83 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#89910, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 0

hmmm... im going on 2 years with the walbro pump and re-wire. i havent had this problem yet. can you still hear it prime? did you do the rewire? sorry, cant help much but i thought i would throw some ideas out.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Sep-22-05 03:09 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#89912, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 1

why was it taking 4 cranks to begin with? it's usually easier to fix problems BEFORE you add on new equipment... now you've got an additional component to trouble shoot.

-marc

djtrickeeSep-22-05 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#89916, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by MCubed45
why was it taking 4 cranks to begin with? it's usually easier to fix problems BEFORE you add on new equipment... now you've got an additional component to trouble shoot.

Unfortunately... I agree. Mine only takes 1, maybe 2, cranks to fire up, and thats with all the mods.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

BumpinTalonSep-23-05 04:03 AM
2381 posts,
#89924, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by MCubed45 why was it taking 4 cranks to begin with? it's usually easier to fix problems BEFORE you add on new equipment... now you've got an additional component to trouble shoot.
Unfortunately... I agree. Mine only takes 1, maybe 2, cranks to fire up, and thats with all the mods.

The car started great before the Walbro install, right after the install it took 4 cranks and I figured that sucked but I could contend with that, now it takes forever.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

ModeratorCorbinSep-23-05 09:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#89933, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 4

Turn the key to ON. You should hear the fuel pump prime. Someone should be watching the fuel pressure. It should have risen. If you didn't hear the pump prime, you have an electrical issue. If it primed, but the pressure doesn't rise, you may have a sealing problem. The final test is to jumper the fuel pump relay to run the pump without the engine running. Unplug the relay and stick a wire in the relay harness connection to connect 12V from the ignition to the fuel pump. the fuel pump should start running and you should see your fuel pressure rise and stabilize at your static fuel pressure setting (0 psi boost). Turn the key to start the car. If it fires right up, you have narrowed the problem down.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

BumpinTalonSep-29-05 07:17 AM
2381 posts,
#90138, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Corbin
Turn the key to ON. You should hear the fuel pump prime. Someone should be watching the fuel pressure. It should have risen. If you didn't hear the pump prime, you have an electrical issue. If it primed, but the pressure doesn't rise, you may have a sealing problem. The final test is to jumper the fuel pump relay to run the pump without the engine running. Unplug the relay and stick a wire in the relay harness connection to connect 12V from the ignition to the fuel pump. the fuel pump should start running and you should see your fuel pressure rise and stabilize at your static fuel pressure setting (0 psi boost). Turn the key to start the car. If it fires right up, you have narrowed the problem down. Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Thanks Corbin, solved my problem

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

MCubed45Sep-29-05 03:51 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#90169, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
The car started great before the Walbro install, right after the install it took 4 cranks and I figured that sucked but I could contend with that, now it takes forever.

crap i can't read. sorry.

glad you got it fixed

corbin rocks!

-marc

EclipseTenzoROct-19-05 07:25 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#90773, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 7

So what exactly was this whole jumper thing suppose to do. I have this problem sometimes soon but I dont understand what jumping the relay does?

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

ModeratorCorbinOct-20-05 06:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#90783, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
So what exactly was this whole jumper thing suppose to do. I have this problem sometimes soon but I dont understand what jumping the relay does?

I'm just saying to force the fuel pump on. You can unplug the relay and use a wire to connect two pins in the plug together. You connect the battery 12V+ pin to the fuel pump power pin. You are just doing the same thing the relay would do if it was working. This also lets you run the fuel pump without the car running. It will pressurize the whole system, so you could look for leaks like this too.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T

EclipseTenzoROct-20-05 09:32 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#90787, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 9

I understand bypassing the realy, but is fixing the problem that when I turn the key it cranks 3-4 times? Do I need to do the re-wire mod

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

ModeratorCorbinOct-21-05 06:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#90802, "RE: Car is getting harder and harder to start after Walbro install"
In response to Reply # 10

The bypass is just a test that lets you eliminate possible causes for starting issues. Poor starting could be a million things. If jumpering the fuel pump fixes it, then you know you have a relay problem or ECU problem. The ECU trips the relay closed, so it could be either one, or wiring in between. Since the rewire generally retains the stock relay and ECU control, it is not a fix for hard starting.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #89889 Previous topic | Next topic