Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #96954
View in linear mode

Subject: "LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work" Search result list | First match | Last match
azdaveOct-19-06 05:54 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96954, "LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"

Here's an LED instrument cluster conversion I'm just finishing up. This mod sure makes the interior look much newer than a 98. I also made my own lighted "sunset orange" needles. The light leaking out around the hub of the tach and speedo needles bothered me at first but it looks sooo much like a solar eclipse that I'm going to leave it alone (luckily I drive an Eclipse and not a Talon ). The photos do pretty good explaining the process. All it takes is a boat load of patience and a spare dash cluster helps to relieve the stress of taking your dash all apart like this.

Video of latest LED tail light conversion with new dash mounted turn signal monitors and LED instrument lighting conversion.

Right click "Save as" please
http://www.rcaz.com/movieclips/eclipse2.1.mpg

93 LEDs wrap around the interior of the housing. Another 16 light up the four needles with white LEDs using 1206 SMTs.

Checking the fit to be sure nothing hits the gauge movements or mechnical parts.

Testing to see how even the light looks through the overlay.

All the yellow, black and white scraped off the back of the overlays. The strips of LEDs are quite flexible and pre-wired for 12 VDC. You can trim them every three LEDs and cut as required to fit them inside. Cut off pieces can then be wired and used too. I have only found these on ebay from a single vendor in this exact style. They come in lots of colors too. Search ebay for "white LED strips"

Here I'm comparing one lighted needle on the tach with the other needles that barely show up in the photo.

I also experimented with UV light on the needles but didn't care for the look. Monster size wires were just for testing.

These tiny little buggers sit under the needles and were a pain in the butt to make and wire up with .005" coil wire.

I had the dash out again tonight to tweak it a little, here it is with all needles lit and my little solar eclipses shining around the needle hubs.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, coppereclipse95, Oct-19-06 06:16 PM, #1
RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, boosted60trimrst, Oct-19-06 06:49 PM, #2
      RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, edxmon, Oct-19-06 08:12 PM, #3
           RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, Moderatorcs82685, Oct-20-06 01:53 AM, #4
                RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, clipse_2005, Oct-20-06 02:41 AM, #5
                     RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, kain_99gs, Oct-20-06 04:09 AM, #6
                          RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, XMasta19, Oct-20-06 06:19 AM, #7
                               RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, lild14, Oct-20-06 08:01 AM, #8
                                    RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, ez, Oct-20-06 09:01 AM, #9
                                         RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, XMasta19, Oct-20-06 09:35 AM, #10
                                         RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, SpreadEagle, Oct-20-06 10:53 AM, #11
                                              RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, 96rs-t, Oct-20-06 01:28 PM, #12
                                                   RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, EclipseSix, Oct-20-06 02:12 PM, #13
                                         RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, edxmon, Oct-20-06 08:31 PM, #14
                                              RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, selmerguy2003, Oct-21-06 04:50 AM, #15
                                              RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, dsmmyth, Oct-21-06 07:18 AM, #16
                                              RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, MCubed45, Oct-21-06 10:16 AM, #17
                                              RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, azdave, Oct-24-06 04:07 AM, #20
                                                   RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, Blizare, Oct-24-06 07:12 AM, #21
                                              RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, ez, Oct-23-06 09:32 AM, #18
                                                   RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, edxmon, Oct-23-06 10:11 AM, #19
                                                        RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work, EclipseTenzoR, Oct-30-06 04:55 PM, #22

coppereclipse95Oct-19-06 06:16 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#96955, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-19-06 06:16 PM by coppereclipse95

wow

1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

boosted60trimrstOct-19-06 06:49 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#96956, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 1

nice work .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

edxmonOct-19-06 08:12 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#96957, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 2

jeebas Dave, always making me jealous, whats your problem eh? lo1 jk, you have great skills man, invaluable part of the 2gnt community as always...looks nothing short of forking amazing!!!

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

Moderatorcs82685Oct-20-06 01:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#96958, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 3

wow that looks amazing, so much nicer than stock

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

clipse_2005Oct-20-06 02:41 AM
Member since Sep 15th 2005
269 posts,
#96959, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-20-06 03:08 AM by clipse_2005

That solar eclipse idea for the center of the needles is INGENIOUS!!! NICE WORK!!! BUT... dude... you are almost out of gas!

kain_99gsOct-20-06 04:09 AM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#96960, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 5
Oct-20-06 04:09 AM by kain_99gs

Dave's car run's on plutonium so it doesn't matter.

XMasta19Oct-20-06 06:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#96961, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 6

Wow...the whole star wars light show wasn't quite for me, but damn those gauges look pimp. So when exactly are you gonna make mine

DIBS!!!!

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

lild14Oct-20-06 08:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#96962, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 7

WOW!! thats awesome man!!! the solar eclipse is a niiicee touch. love it!

=Dan=

98rs eclipse- Mods: BC2, C/F hood, custom turbo system consisting of a PTE SC50, turbosmart ultra gate (10psi), star FMIC and pipes, SFMU, HKS SSQV, 3" V-BAND downpipe from ATP, Zeitronix Wideband LCD displaying boost, egt and 02. *** SOLD and will be missed***

2006 gsxr 750- jardine gp1 exhaust, -1,+2 stealth sprockets, DID 525 chain, JD products pro TRE. 0-60 in a sneeze. ran a 10.8 avg 1/4 mile my first time to the track on street tires, stock swingarm and unstrapped.

ezOct-20-06 09:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#96963, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 8

nice work Dave, that's a cool video too. Are you doing the 3rd taillight now? how are you coming with the microcontroller?

I have a guage cluster conversion in the mix too, but I'm using red EL film instead of LEDs. gotta give you some competition, he he, keep you on your toes. j/k

that IC looks sweet.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

XMasta19Oct-20-06 09:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#96964, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 9

Shipping quote to 99702 Alaska?

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

SpreadEagleOct-20-06 10:53 AM
Member since May 29th 2003
459 posts,
#96966, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 10

Your electical wizardry never ceases to amaze me Dave, that is so far beyond slick. Aldo Nova ftw!

96rs-tOct-20-06 01:28 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#96967, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 11
Oct-20-06 01:33 PM by 96rs-t

ahh, beat me to it. I've been wanting white lit guage faces forever. Good work, can't wait to convert mine, and holy hell those tail lights do some fun blinking!

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

EclipseSixOct-20-06 02:12 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#96968, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 12

Genius! Me wanty.

No seriously, how much for a unit? :-P

edxmonOct-20-06 08:31 PM
1006 posts,
#96970, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by ez
nice work Dave, that's a cool video too. Are you doing the 3rd taillight now? how are you coming with the microcontroller? I have a guage cluster conversion in the mix too, but I'm using red EL film instead of LEDs. gotta give you some competition, he he, keep you on your toes. j/k that IC looks sweet.

Hmmm ive been looking into Electro Luminescence aswell, tell me (if you dont mind) how you plan on running that setup. I was going to use tubing for some accent lighting. I already have red LEDs in the cluster so it glows red...BUT BRIGHTER IS BETTER! hehehe keep me updated on that EZ!

his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

selmerguy2003Oct-21-06 04:50 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2005
288 posts,
#96972, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 14

Dude that is bad a$$. I like the vid too. Just a thought, could you somehow make the green leds in the cluster to work with the throttle if you want to? You know like the old electric tachs in the 1g 300zx. Going from left to right. I think that would be cool or even have the light change to red when you get around 6500 rpm.

dsmmythOct-21-06 07:18 AM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#96973, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 15

Lol, there's probably so much work involved that Dave wouldn't sell these because he'd lose so much time to do other things.

Looks really good, man.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

MCubed45Oct-21-06 10:16 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#96975, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 16

i hate you

-marc

azdaveOct-24-06 04:07 AM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#96992, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 15
Oct-24-06 04:08 AM by azdave

Originally posted by selmerguy2003
Just a thought, could you somehow make the green leds in the cluster to work with the throttle if you want to? You know like the old electric tachs in the 1g 300zx. Going from left to right. I think that would be cool or even have the light change to red when you get around 6500 rpm.

Sure you could. Just takes more work with building all the drive circuits (or u-controller)and sourcing all the parts. That's not for me though. I never liked the bargraph style lighting on quickly changing data like RPM, MPH, etc.

BlizareOct-24-06 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#96993, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 20

Wow. You never cease to amaze this forum Dave.

Amazing work. No that doesn't cut it.

Spectacular work!

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

ezOct-23-06 09:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#96986, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by edxmon
Originally posted by ez nice work Dave, that's a cool video too. Are you doing the 3rd taillight now? how are you coming with the microcontroller? I have a guage cluster conversion in the mix too, but I'm using red EL film instead of LEDs. gotta give you some competition, he he, keep you on your toes. j/k that IC looks sweet.
Hmmm ive been looking into Electro Luminescence aswell, tell me (if you dont mind) how you plan on running that setup. I was going to use tubing for some accent lighting. I already have red LEDs in the cluster so it glows red...BUT BRIGHTER IS BETTER! hehehe keep me updated on that EZ!

yea, just source some generic RED EL film (tons of this stuff on the net), and then design a guage pattern on your computer. you can print this off onto a clear transparency, which then overlays the EL film. Since this setup is really thin, it will lay right over your existing guage cluster with very little modification. Option 2 is to cut out some chrome/vinyl decals to place directly on the EL film. it will look pretty trick afterwards. I was doing this with an "eclipse" motif too, so the center of the guage would be black and the outer periphery would be a glowing red circle. this would match the rearview mirrors I'm working on. I'm doing this so that my eventual setup will have all the guages look exactly the same (the stock guage cluster, and aftermarket guages)

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

edxmonOct-23-06 10:11 AM
1006 posts,
#96987, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by ez
Originally posted by edxmon
Originally posted by ez nice work Dave, that's a cool video too. Are you doing the 3rd taillight now? how are you coming with the microcontroller? I have a guage cluster conversion in the mix too, but I'm using red EL film instead of LEDs. gotta give you some competition, he he, keep you on your toes. j/k that IC looks sweet.
yea, just source some generic RED EL film (tons of this stuff on the net), and then design a guage pattern on your computer. you can print this off onto a clear transparency, which then overlays the EL film. Since this setup is really thin, it will lay right over your existing guage cluster with very little modification. Option 2 is to cut out some chrome/vinyl decals to place directly on the EL film. it will look pretty trick afterwards. I was doing this with an "eclipse" motif too, so the center of the guage would be black and the outer periphery would be a glowing red circle. this would match the rearview mirrors I'm working on. I'm doing this so that my eventual setup will have all the guages look exactly the same (the stock guage cluster, and aftermarket guages)

im a little lost, but i think i rather pm you about this tho

P.S. You got Pm.

Originally posted by ez

EclipseTenzoROct-30-06 04:55 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#97077, "RE: LED gauge cluster conversion + video update on LED work"
In response to Reply # 19

dsmmyth showed me this post because I had asked what kind of work azdave has been upto. I havent been on here in over a month but all I have to say is WOW. Dave as always I am impressed, and your is the only eclipse that would motivate me to come back and mod. I won't depart with my s2k but maybe later down the road I will buy a fixer upper and start all over again. Kudos Dave, it looks fantastic

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #96954Search result list | First match | Last match