Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #72513
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interior paint ...." Search result list | First match | Last match
eclipse982nrRSTMay-22-04 04:20 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72513, "Interior paint ...."

I was painting my door panels yesterday and boy did they get f'd up! I used vinyl/carpet paint on the door inserts and those turned out okay and then i used the same stuff for the bottom portion of the door that holds the speaker cover, and that peeled right off. I am stripping all the paint off right now and I am going to re-do everything. What kind of paint should i use os that chipping/peeling/scratching doesnt happen?? Should I use the vinyl paint on the door inserts and vinyl paint across the actual panel since it seems to be vinyl or should i use the Krylon paint on the panel and the plastic piece that holds the speaker cover. Or is there any other better paint to use? Any help will work. Thanks guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Interior paint ...., a_miller_76, May-22-04 04:48 AM, #1
RE: Interior paint ...., MajinVejitaXV, May-22-04 05:33 AM, #2
      RE: Interior paint ...., a_miller_76, May-22-04 05:47 AM, #3
           RE: Interior paint ...., evan2, May-22-04 06:23 AM, #4
                RE: Interior paint ...., farmdogg55, May-22-04 07:16 AM, #5
                     RE: Interior paint ...., eclipse982nrRST, May-22-04 10:06 AM, #6
                          RE: Interior paint ...., farmdogg55, May-22-04 10:37 AM, #7
                               RE: Interior paint ...., EclipseTenzoR, May-22-04 12:16 PM, #8
                                    RE: Interior paint ...., Aggression, May-22-04 01:38 PM, #9
                                    RE: Interior paint ...., eclipse982nrRST, May-22-04 04:19 PM, #10
                                         RE: Interior paint ...., madhatter210, May-22-04 04:40 PM, #11
                                              RE: Interior paint ...., JEMLine16, May-22-04 05:30 PM, #12
                                              RE: Interior paint ...., Pushin420a, May-23-04 12:55 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Interior paint ...., EclipseTenzoR, May-25-04 03:12 PM, #14

a_miller_76May-22-04 04:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72514, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 0

You should use colored gel coat, because ALL paint is shit. I used Fusion and that shit is coming off now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MajinVejitaXVMay-22-04 05:33 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#72516, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 1

Don't you need a compressor and spray guns to use gel coating? I'm up for it, just wanna know. Also, any ideas as to a particular brand to go with? I'm doing my interior soon...

-Corey

a_miller_76May-22-04 05:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#72517, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 2

No you can brush it on the same as fiberglass resin. You'll have to sand more if you brush it on, but it's all good.

evan2May-22-04 06:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3903 posts,
#72518, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 3

SEMS spray paint... bottom line hands down the best besides Auto paint of course
was on my eclipse for like 2.5 years with no issues and I bet the kid that has it now still has it on, 4 plus years

8 bucks a bottle and well worth it..

I dont like the sems black though, I used kyrlon and some clear coat

dont like the sems clear either, i used sems silver and it owns

I love dino and 2gnt. ####ers (my word) bliz stole it but i let him borrow it

farmdogg55May-22-04 07:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2522 posts,
#72519, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by evan2
SEMS spray paint... bottom line hands down the best besides Auto paint of course was on my eclipse for like 2.5 years with no issues and I bet the kid that has it now still has it on, 4 plus years 8 bucks a bottle and well worth it.. I dont like the sems black though, I used kyrlon and some clear coat dont like the sems clear either, i used sems silver and it owns

SEM here too and held up fine for over 2 years.

eclipse982nrRSTMay-22-04 10:06 AM
6314 posts,
#72521, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 5

Where can i get the SEMS spray paint then ... will it be okay on vinyl AND plastic though? I need to use black and silver .... you said the black isnt good though ... and what brand of clear coat should I use over the sems paint? primer too or just spray the paint on???? thanks soo much.

farmdogg55May-22-04 10:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2522 posts,
#72523, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 6

http://vinylpro.safeshopper.com/29/cat29.htm?841
or check your local autopaint supplier, sometimes they carry it.

I did not sand or primer, just used the prep stuff they sell. There are directions on the can. There was one for plastic, and one for vinyl. The paint is good for both plastic and vinyl. I put clear on all the plastic stuff, but not on the dash or other vinyl parts. When I put clear on the armrest, it got sticky in the sun. It doesnt get sticky without the clear on it. You have to take your time, clean the parts well, and spray in light coats. DO NOT rush the job or it will turn out like shit. I didnt use SEM clear either, I used stuff I got from Home Depot.

EclipseTenzoRMay-22-04 12:16 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#72526, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 7

I wonder how Testors Model paint would hold up?? I know I got this shit from Pepboys that held up alright but I wanna redo my trunk again in something stronger.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

AggressionMay-22-04 01:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#72527, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 8

I use to paint mine with spraypaint...and it holds up OK. With all the money you end up spending in the end. You are further ahead to go and get a quote from a local shop to paint it with car paint and car clear. That is what I am doing now. But spray paint held up for about 2 years before it needs redone.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

eclipse982nrRSTMay-22-04 04:19 PM
6314 posts,
#72537, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 8

i have a spray gun and could paint it myself but its a hassel and paint isnt really cheap ... i guess i will try the SEMS paint tho ... so they DO make it for vinyl and plastic then ehh ... hmmmmm ... thanks alot for the help fella's/gal's!

madhatter210May-22-04 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
#72538, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 10
May-22-04 05:04 PM by madhatter210

I did it with just the prep stuff also and had the same results so I stripped it and used etching primer first and then the plastic/vinyl paint and it turned out great second time around,and if you wanna try something tough as nails use header paint won't chip,peel,or crack on plastic no clear needed.Laugh if you want but it looks nice and holds up great 3 years so far on the truck insides I did. And to get it out of the way let me quote Keifer Sutherland in the Lost Boys " its only rice micheal how could a billion chinese people be wrong"

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

JEMLine16May-22-04 05:30 PM
Member since May 22nd 2004
22 posts,
#72541, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 11

Check out this link for interior dye, the stuff really works.

http://wheelskin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Interior+Spray+Dyes+and+Primers

Pushin420aMay-23-04 12:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1877 posts,
#72542, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by madhatter210
I did it with just the prep stuff also and had the same results so I stripped it and used etching primer first and then the plastic/vinyl paint and it turned out great second time around,and if you wanna try something tough as nails use header paint won't chip,peel,or crack on plastic no clear needed.Laugh if you want but it looks nice and holds up great 3 years so far on the truck insides I did. And to get it out of the way let me quote Keifer Sutherland in the Lost Boys " its only rice micheal how could a billion chinese people be wrong"

OH MY Sorry to much Rice for me to stomach in one post.

~Lee

"CHECK OUT THE NEW CARBON KNIGHT AUTO"
still under construction
http://hometown.aol.com/pushin420a/index.html

Please help fix my car..
"DONATIONS ARE WELCOME"

***MODS***
Afx/Race computer, V2CAI, 60MM TB, P&P intake, Cam Gears, Exhaust
Tein Drop springs, Tokico 5-way adjustables.

***Mods to come***
Crane Cams,UDP,full greddy exhaust,headers

Lots of Show!!

EclipseTenzoRMay-25-04 03:12 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#72684, "RE: Interior paint ...."
In response to Reply # 13

All of this stuff is a bitch imo.. I have repainted 3 times because shit was chipping and gettin funky on me. I have now tried painting with good old fasion Model Paint in a can from Testors. Maybe this shit will work.. who knows tho.. I will post pictures whenver I get this finished.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #72513Search result list | First match | Last match