Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #2446
View in linear mode

Subject: "Targa Top kits???" Previous topic | Next topic
9D9 MITSU RSMar-24-01 04:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2446, "Targa Top kits???"

I want a targa top cut into my hard top RS. My car is a 99. I want it to look like the supra taga tops. Are there any kits available??? Or does anyone know of anywhere that can custom cut it?(preferably close to North Carolina)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Targa Top kits???, klipzracer, Mar-24-01 06:14 PM, #1
does anyone have any info about it??, Junoon, Mar-25-01 07:07 AM, #2
      TARGA, herbomar, Mar-25-01 12:39 PM, #3
           RE: TARGA, 9D9 MITSU RS, Mar-25-01 02:44 PM, #4
                RE: TARGA, Junoon, Mar-25-01 04:41 PM, #5
                     RE: TARGA, 99GSBBTurbo, Mar-26-01 09:09 PM, #6
                          RE: TARGA, vector_racing, Mar-27-01 12:05 AM, #7
                               RE: TARGA, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-01-01 11:15 AM, #8
                                    RE: TARGA, 9D9 MITSU RS, Apr-11-01 09:03 AM, #9
                                         RE: TARGA, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-11-01 09:10 AM, #10
                                              RE: TARGA, HondaHater21, Apr-11-01 12:57 PM, #11
                                                   RE: TARGA, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-12-01 02:55 AM, #12
RE: Targa Top kits???, Moderatorjuan, Apr-14-01 12:44 PM, #13
RE: Targa Top kits???, 9D9 MITSU RS, Apr-18-01 01:32 PM, #14

klipzracerMar-24-01 06:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2447, "RE: Targa Top kits???"
In response to Reply # 0

I got a pic of an eclipse like that on my web site. that $h!t is nice and i would love to have one on my car.

Chris
Project RS
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
"Life is short, rev hard!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JunoonMar-25-01 07:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
122 posts,
#2448, "does anyone have any info about it??"
In response to Reply # 1

the red car on klipzracer's webpage looks bad a$$.. if it doesn't cost anymore than getting a aftermarket sunroof installed.. then i might considering doing it.. any info.. anyone??????

Junoon
97-RS
automotive/industrial design student
Michigan

herbomarMar-25-01 12:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
17 posts,
#2449, "TARGA"
In response to Reply # 2

Excuse my ignorance, but how does a Targa top work? Would it be like T-tops in that you could close it?

If so, would it be possible for me to get some installed (while getting my current stock sunroof removed)? What kinda price range am i looking at?

Omar Khan
Canton, MI
96 Talon ESi

9D9 MITSU RSMar-25-01 02:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#2450, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 3

u have to have a hardtop probably. Unless you cut the top from a car at the junkyard. Anyone know any prices?

JunoonMar-25-01 04:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
122 posts,
#2451, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 4

I guess i'm gonna have to go out and do some research on it... I guess.. ppl who instal the aftermarket sunroofs would be able to atleast help me out on it... any other suggestions ??

Junoon
97-RS
automotive/industrial design student
Michigan

99GSBBTurboMar-26-01 09:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#2452, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 5

I never thought about doing that!!! That looks SO tight!!! Let me know what you find out!!!

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

vector_racingMar-27-01 12:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
393 posts,
#2453, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 6

I was looking into it last year, and I heard that you have to do a lot of extra bracing and support, kind of like you were to take a coupe and make it a covertable...But I would love to do that too!!!

www.vectorracing.com

TeamMichael_97RSApr-01-01 11:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2454, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah if you don't brace the car loosing the radgidity the top add you will twist the frame.

It's a good excuse to cage off the back of yrou car and find somebody to do some custom subframe connectors.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

9D9 MITSU RSApr-11-01 09:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#2455, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 8

About how much does this cost? Could any body shop do it?http://klipzracer.homestead.com/moredsm2.html That page has the red targa top. That shit is sweet.

TeamMichael_97RSApr-11-01 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2456, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 9

You'd have to find a body shop will to do the whole thing custom, since there never was a targa top offered. But I'd like to know because that would be sweet.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

HondaHater21Apr-11-01 12:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1750 posts,
#2457, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 10

I can do it for you guys, I got a circular saw that will cut off the top, and then use some duct tape to seal it up. No really, it would cost a hell of alot of $$$$$$ to get that done, while your at it though, take the glass off the rear hatch and make it kind gointo a Firari/Del Sol rear hatch?

"Only Pirates Say R"
hondahater21@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/hondahater21

Change Your own Blinker Fluid! --> http://geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

TeamMichael_97RSApr-12-01 02:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2458, "RE: TARGA"
In response to Reply # 11

Oh it would definately cost some cash, and I'm sure I don't have the money to spend on it... I'd rather spend it on perf parts. But it would still be cool. I wouldn't want the take out the rear glass I like the way that looks. And if your do you'll never have anyone in the back seat again. no place for their head inless they are three feet tall

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

ModeratorjuanApr-14-01 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#2459, "RE: Targa Top kits???"
In response to Reply # 0

That would seriously compromise the structural rigidity of the car. For a show vehicle that isn't driven much, it'd be ok, but the handling would definitely suffer and you'd probably hear creaks and groans from the body after a while.

I'd recommend at least a center bar remain in the roof like the 300Zs had. This would retain longitudinal stability and some of the torsional. Another alternative would be a 6 point roll bar.

juan

9D9 MITSU RSApr-18-01 01:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#2460, "RE: Targa Top kits???"
In response to Reply # 13

where could u go to get more support in the roof???

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #2446 Previous topic | Next topic