Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #12846
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement" Previous topic | Next topic
CluckeRMCJan-25-02 12:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
549 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12846, "Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"

Hey, I designed a fiberglass piece to replace the center light piece on the rear end. Getting it patented now. How many people would be interested in a pre-sanded, primered fiberglass center piece to replace that ugly center taillight piece? Also, how much would you be willing to pay for it if it was sanded, and primed, and ready to paint whatever color you want? I'm hoping this would be something people would pay maybe $50.00 for and its ready to paint. No more trying to paint the plastic center piece, and no more trying to buy extra center taillight pieces for like $100.00. Let me know what yall think!

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
Evo Front Bumper (no pics yet)
Projector Headlights
Clear Corners
Stereo System
-Alpine Deck
-2 JL 10" Subs
-Phoenix Gold XS2300 Amp
-Custom Fit Box
Viper Alarm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, SunBlocker, Jan-25-02 02:08 AM, #1
RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Aggression, Jan-25-02 02:46 AM, #2
      RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, SunBlocker, Jan-25-02 03:45 AM, #3
           RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, RSin oRACLe, Jan-25-02 05:02 AM, #4
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teamdougie2, Jan-25-02 05:35 AM, #5
                     RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Niclipse, Jan-27-02 07:24 PM, #17
RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, tim97rs, Jan-25-02 05:42 AM, #6
RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, John99RS, Jan-25-02 09:28 AM, #7
      RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, icedout, Jan-25-02 09:43 AM, #8
           RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teameclipse804, Jan-25-02 10:11 AM, #9
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, drbalazo7, Jan-25-02 12:05 PM, #10
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, DownAzzDSM, Jan-25-02 04:22 PM, #11
                     RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-25-02 05:22 PM, #12
                          RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, CluckeRMC, Jan-26-02 01:28 AM, #13
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teamdougie2, Jan-26-02 10:32 AM, #14
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, PowerEclipses, Jan-26-02 03:51 PM, #15
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-27-02 07:56 AM, #16
RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Niclipse, Jan-27-02 07:27 PM, #18
RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, bedlam32570, Jan-30-02 08:35 PM, #19
      RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, LunarEclipse, Jan-30-02 08:48 PM, #20
      RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Fast420A, Jan-30-02 09:01 PM, #21
           RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teameclipse804, Jan-30-02 09:32 PM, #22
                RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, bedlam32570, Jan-30-02 09:48 PM, #23
                     RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teameclipse804, Jan-30-02 10:09 PM, #24
                          RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, bedlam32570, Jan-30-02 10:24 PM, #25
                               RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, Teameclipse804, Jan-31-02 06:43 AM, #26
                                    RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement, bedlam32570, Jan-31-02 01:45 PM, #27

SunBlockerJan-25-02 02:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
471 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12847, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd give you $50 for one!!

Gregg
Green 97 Eclipse RS (Really Slow)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AggressionJan-25-02 02:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#12848, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 1

its a damn good idea I think...

but how are you going to mass produce them with a mold of course. but are you in that line of work now anyway?

good idea though!!!

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

SunBlockerJan-25-02 03:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
471 posts,
#12849, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 2

Oh, I just thought of something, would these have the keyhole for the trunk release or would that be shaved. I think it would be sweet to have a version with the trunk key hole shaved too.

Gregg
Green 97 Eclipse RS (Really Slow)

RSin oRACLeJan-25-02 05:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
#12850, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 3

my center piece rocks !! i have no need to change but the idea u have fill be perfect for those whos centers dont light up

Unorthadox racing pulley
Aem short ram intake
Apex-i N1 cat-back(2.5)
Nakiyama flat black euro tails
Black projection headlights
Oz m

Teamdougie2Jan-25-02 05:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#12851, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 4

I'd be in too. Since my car is currently in the body shop, I asked them yesterday about painting my center piece and they said that the paint wouldn't stick. So, yeah... $50 sounds good to me!

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

NiclipseJan-27-02 07:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#12852, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 5

Man, thats a load of horseshit. Mine sticks great.

tim97rsJan-25-02 05:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#12853, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

Id be down for 50 clams! throw some pics up...

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

John99RSJan-25-02 09:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#12854, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah man, post up some pics when you can.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

icedoutJan-25-02 09:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#12855, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 7

Hey if a paint shop is telling you the paint won't stick to the center peice then you need to pull your car out of there right away. Cause those DUMB ASS'S don't know a damm thing about painting. and probable don't know whit about body work either. You can paint anything on the car. Even flexable things can be painted. there is an adative to the paint to let the paint flex a little bit. Bro you need to take your stuff to someone that know's what there doing cause if they can't paint the center than i wouldn't trust them to touch my car.................

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

Teameclipse804Jan-25-02 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12856, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 8

Icedout said it right. Any good body shop can paint the center tailight piece. I've had two painted, and the first one lasted over a year and now lunar has it on his car since I got a paint job. It didn't scratch off or anything, and all you have to do is wet sand it with 400 grit and paint it. Came out perfect. But a fiberglass version with the keyhole shaved would be a good idea. I know ian shaved the keyhole using his stock plastic tailight piece, but you have to know how to do fiberglass work in order to do that yourself.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

drbalazo7Jan-25-02 12:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
913 posts,
#12857, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 9

i like mine

I miss you mom, you are always with me RIP...

DownAzzDSMJan-25-02 04:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
346 posts,
#12858, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 10

Since my car is black, I just took my center piece off my altezza's which have a clear lens. I spray painted the inside of the lens with regular gloss black paint. Put about 3 coats on. let it dry and put it all back together.The black paint shows right through, and looks like I had it painted at a bodyshop. This way the paint never gets scratched and it never fades. I did this about 4 months ago and it still looks great.

Steve
Black 97 GS
First time at track 16.231 @ 86.11 (Intake & Exhaust/ 17" rims)
Best time- 14.154 @ 101.22
W/O N2O- 15.916 @ 88.98

Magnacor

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-25-02 05:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12859, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 11

Yep, since noone ever responded when I was selling the center section of my altezzas, that what I'm gonna do (paint the inside). Another bonus is you just paint and your done. NO clearcoat needed.

-Tony 98'GST

http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org
AIM: turboclipz or YNOT420247

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

CluckeRMCJan-26-02 01:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
549 posts,
#12860, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 12

Cool, well I'll have pics up ASAP. Shouldnt be long. I'll make sure to make a new post when I get a pic of em. Oh yah, and I can make both shaved and not shaved. Whichever you want.

(And manufacturing is not a problem, and yes, a mold)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
Evo Front Bumper (no pics yet)
Projector Headlights
Clear Corners
Stereo System
-Alpine Deck
-2 JL 10" Subs
-Phoenix Gold XS2300 Amp
-Custom Fit Box
Viper Alarm

Teamdougie2Jan-26-02 10:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#12861, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 9

lol. I was hella worried about the quality of this place when the chick on the phone told me she didn't think it could be done but she'd talk to the painters and call me. Well, she called me and it turns out that she didn't know what the hell she was talking about and they're going to do it when they do the rest of the paint. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

PowerEclipsesJan-26-02 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#12862, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 14

get some pics up!

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

TeamicjeclipseJan-27-02 07:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#12863, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah, you can paint the stock plastic ones. Mine has been painted for alomost 2 years. The first time Earl Schieb did it, so if they can make it stick, anyone can. The second time i filled the factory keyhole, primed it, wet sand w/ 600 and it will stick fine.

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

NiclipseJan-27-02 07:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#12864, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldnt buy a shaved keyhole one because sometimes, my latch gets stuck, even when i pulled the release a few times. That would suck.

Anyway, if It had a cool mitsu logo that was embossed or something, I'd be in like Flinn.

bedlam32570Jan-30-02 08:35 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
1240 posts,
#12865, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 18

if it still has the keyhole for the truck, then i'm in. I am having trouble with mine cause i can still see where the "ECLIPSE" used to be. If you had them painted to match the body color you could always charge more.

LunarEclipseJan-30-02 08:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
788 posts,
#12866, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 19

hey my paint is still sticking, nothing wrong with it, only seen two eclipses with the center painted, marcus' and a guy at work painted his ferrari yellow, looks tight as hell. doesn't stick, lol

www.artexmusic.com

97' grey gs/Greddy EVO catback/Greddy header/AEM cai/afx udp/dropped on 2" sprints

Fast420AJan-30-02 09:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#12867, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 19

Mine has been done for about a year with no problems at all and I had a SHITTY ass body shop do it.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Drop in K&N Filter and open airbox
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Teameclipse804Jan-30-02 09:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12868, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 21

Mine is still sticking, and I did it myself hehe. Just wet sanded 400, that's it. NO PRIMER, just painted right over it. The body shop painted it with PPG paint though. Maybe spray paint might fall off or something after a while, but not if you use auto paint.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

bedlam32570Jan-30-02 09:48 PM
1240 posts,
#12869, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 22

no problem with paint sticking just problem with where the "ECLIPSE" was on the center piece. Also just wondering how to get it to have that shine to it like the rest of the car. i put like 6-7 coats of clear coat on it. Do I need to Wet sand it or what? That's the one thing i haven't been able to figure out.

Teameclipse804Jan-30-02 10:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12870, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 23

Well if you painted it yourself, then it might be different. If you know how to wet sand and buff, you can try that very carefully though. I wouldn't if you used spray paint though.

Oh and you shouldn't be able to see where the eclipse letters were unless you didn't clean it off perfectly maybe? It should be perfectly smooth, and the letters were just glued on, so if you paint over a clean surface, it shouldn't show...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

bedlam32570Jan-30-02 10:24 PM
1240 posts,
#12871, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 24

hmmm well that leaves me in a rut then, cause after i have primed it a few times, then sprayed it with auto paint, it shows the "ECLIPSE" in a very faint red. That really sucks. I am thinking of getting it done in Black to fit right over it. I do know how to wet sand but the buffing is going to take some major elbox grease. I do have some spray on polish. Will that work?

Teameclipse804Jan-31-02 06:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12872, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 25

If the red is showing through the paint, most likely the paint is not sticking to where the eclipse letters were. That means most likely there was still some residue from the stickers when you painted it. Make sure you wet sand with soapy water to clean the sticker residue off real good. Try any type of polish, buffing that piece is hard, and I didn't buff mine because the rotary buffer is too hard to fit on that small angled piece.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

bedlam32570Jan-31-02 01:45 PM
1240 posts,
#12873, "RE: Fiberglass center taillight piece replacement"
In response to Reply # 26

i sanded the thing down for some time and i can still see the where it was. i cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and then with goo gone just to be safe

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #12846 Previous topic | Next topic