Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #122
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question in Regard to Window Tinting..." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TNov-28-00 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122, "Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."

I have been pondering tinting my windows. Like many of you probably, I live in a state where tinting the side driver/passenger windows to ANY DEGREE is illegal. However, I'm going to attempt to "skate" around this law.

To get away with this, I would like to go dark enough where doing this is worth it, but light enough where it wouldn't draw a lot of attention from our legal enforcement people. What I would like are some of your opinions/experiences regarding this difficult compromise. I realize so much of this is a judgment call, but I'm not sure I like the looks of the really dark back three windows and "no tint" in the side two. I've seen some nice blends from darker in the back to a "classy" lighter in the front, and also people go with a lighter tint around. Since, I have a DSM, just wondering what many of you think looks nice on our cars.

Thanks ahead of time for any of your comments/suggestions...

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., Lee, Nov-28-00 07:49 AM, #1
RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., 97CustomGS, Nov-28-00 08:02 AM, #2
RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., Teameclipse804, Nov-28-00 09:07 AM, #3
      RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., cyan, Nov-28-00 02:43 PM, #4
      RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., Teameclipse804, Nov-29-00 06:56 PM, #5
      RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., Skrilla, Dec-02-00 04:08 PM, #6
RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., GSwede96, Dec-03-00 02:29 AM, #7
Try this....., TeamDeanoD, Dec-03-00 03:19 AM, #8
RE: Try this....., 97_Rs_R, Dec-03-00 06:52 AM, #9
      Heh...thanks for the advice guys...( I took the 'ole doctorial solution), TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-04-00 02:14 AM, #10
RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..., phatGS, Dec-08-00 04:21 PM, #11

LeeNov-28-00 07:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 0

My car came with the factory tint, pretty light. I plan on going 20% all the way around with no tint on the front windshield. Where I live 20% is legal for the 3 windows you're considering but it's illegal for the driver's side and passenger side windows (35% is legal on those). But I got my girlfriend's car tinted eary last summer and went 20% all around and she hasn't had any trouble from the po-po.

Lee

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

97CustomGSNov-28-00 08:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
48 posts,
#124, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 0

On my last Eclipse (1996), I had 20% on the back 3 and 35% on the front doors... That worked great for a year or so until I drove through a hick town and some cop in a old beater cop car pulled me over and gave me a ticket for it. The 20/35 combination looked good which is why I'm mentioning it.

On my newer 97, I put on limo all the way around, but that's a chance I'm taking.. Going to try to get a optometrist to give me an excuse also. That's another suggestion if you want dark tint... ask the eye doctor for an excuse.

Teameclipse804Nov-28-00 09:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#125, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 2

I had limo on all three back, and medium on the two front windows, but got pulled over for something else and the cop also gave me a ticket for the front windows. I think that a safer combination is dark on all three back, medium on the two front. Medium is not that dark, but dark enough so if its at a certain angle, it looks like all five windows are equally dark.

eclipse804@hotmail.com

http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

cyanNov-28-00 02:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#126, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 3

another option is to go with silver reflective. its less noticeable because it doesnt contrast as much with the cars color. just remember with any tint to roll down the front windows as soon as you get pulled over for something else so maybe they wont think to check the windows

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Teameclipse804Nov-29-00 06:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#127, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 4

Ya silver reflective looks tight on silver cars, but also it can be like a mirror, and cops can notice that too...when I got pulled over, I rolled down the windows AS I pulled over, but I guess he noticed it before he even started to pull me over....

eclipse804@hotmail.com

http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

SkrillaDec-02-00 04:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#128, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 3

This is the Exact same setup I have. Limo on back 3 and medium on the front 2. The Medium is dark but not that dark. You can see very well through the medium and is still a good way to keep ot the sun. Here in Cali the front 2 being tinted at all is also completely illegal but you can skate by (like I have on all my cars for the last 4 years) just know to roll down your windows if a cop is in the area. If I had power windows I'd go Limo all the way around and take my chance

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

GSwede96Dec-03-00 02:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
345 posts,
#129, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 0

Well here in Sweden tinting at all on the front two is totally illegal..but I am going there anyway...looks cool with the entire top of the car in black.....I am going on the smoked version.lighter than most films but prettty dark ..so it looks almost like the black ones......its a good way to tint

1997 GST Spyder
My car on

TeamDeanoDDec-03-00 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#130, "Try this....."
In response to Reply # 0

Find a good metal film(Lumar or Solar Gard) that is rated 35% but actually is more like 40%(slightly lighter than rated). You could even go with 50% and nobody would suspect it was even there. Next go with a 10-15% in the rear to be able to see at night but also have a fairly dark look. Most configurations are 35% on sides and 20% on rear quarter/rear windows. By doing what I said, it will look like there is not any tint on the door windows and the rear is 20%(but acutally the combo is 38%/10%). I hope this makes sense. Most people can only see the contrast between the windows to judge what level tint they are. If you get pulled over, quickly roll down the door windows and hope for the best...LOL

DeanoD

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

97_Rs_RDec-03-00 06:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
65 posts,
#131, "RE: Try this....."
In response to Reply # 8

state po-po that lives near me here in Va said 35 all around but 50 on the side windows pretty wild to what you all have been saying

"if u dont like fast cars than go buy a slow suv like everyone else....."
Christopher Skaggs
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs-R
yaroze_x@hotmail.com
ICQ# 98288840
aol# YarozeX

TeamJasonESi_TDec-04-00 02:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#132, "Heh...thanks for the advice guys...( I took the 'ole doctorial solution)"
In response to Reply # 9

Okay,

So I went to the optometrist last week. You know, to get my perfect vision checked out. But I told the doc I had one small problem. "Oh my poor eyes are SENSITIVE to light." So, now I have a prescription for 10-20% all around. I'll probably just go 20% around so I can see out the damn things at night. I just want to have the Mr. Evil look!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

phatGSDec-08-00 04:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#133, "RE: Question in Regard to Window Tinting..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have 32% Quantum tint (has a slight mirror look to it) and it looks absolutely great! I love the way it looks.

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #122 Previous topic | Next topic