Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105913
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gas door issue" Previous topic | Next topic
Rude55Apr-25-13 09:23 PM
Member since Aug 16th 2011
37 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105913, "Gas door issue"

Hey guys,

I went to fill my tank up just now and when i used the lever to open my gas door there was no "resistance" on it and of course the gas door wont open now. Its kind of an emergency how can i open that door manually? Im assuming the cable is gone to shits since there is no tension but ill look into fixing it after i get it open. Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

IslandertalonApr-25-13 10:05 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2006
46 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105914, "RE: Gas door issue"
In response to Reply # 0

The end may have rusted off where the lever is. If this is the case you can remove the trim piece and use vise grips to grab and pull the cable. I think its just one screw to remove the plastic trim and take a look.

If not the cable it routed along the driver side the crosses over at the back of the spare tire area. Check it for areas that may have rubbed through.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

junkyarddsmApr-29-13 08:57 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2010
75 posts,
#105915, "RE: Gas door issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure if you got it open but I had the problem with the little spring clip broke. I had no tension on the lever so I stuck my key in between the door and body and pulled the lever and opened right up. Did this for awhile till I found a new spring clip.

Finish? What is this "finish" you speak of sir? Dsm's are never complete just temporarily put together.

97 eclipse gone but never forgotten Ill miss you money pit.

bluespunkJun-04-13 11:08 AM
Member since Apr 08th 2008
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#105918, "RE: Gas door issue"
In response to Reply # 2

I had the same issue, the clip broke off and I had to have a buddy open the gas door while I held the lever on the other side to open it. Rigged up a hood spring to open it for a while. It worked, but it flew open like it was exploding every time. Eventually found another one in a junk yard. Let me know if that ends up being your problem, I've got one on the parts car I can pop off and send you.

My build: verttuner.com (hosted on my blog)

DSMalexMar-23-14 11:55 AM
Member since Nov 07th 2007
11 posts,
#105965, "RE: Gas door issue"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-23-14 11:56 AM by DSMalex

My Talon does the same thing, I believe the lever that is located on the body of the car inside of the fuel neck assembly has worn down over the years. What I have done recently is put a flat head screwdriver in between the gas door and the quarter panel to create resistance and then pull the lever from inside the vehicle. I am going to fix mine asap seeing as I will be repainting the whole vehicle. The last thing I want is dents and scratches after I have 3k invested in a paint job. I would try that first. The other thing I have seen is people not close the doors after they get them open in order to keep them from having to look retarded at the gas station every time they go to get gas. Common problem on these cars. Had 3 different DSMs that did the same thing. Best of luck.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105913 Previous topic | Next topic