Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105495
View in linear mode

Subject: "How much paint should I get?" Previous topic | Next topic
RoninEclipse2GOct-07-11 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105495, "How much paint should I get?"

Just a question for you DIY painters that have painted your own 2G's: How much paint did you need?

I've painted small open wheel racecars that just barely used a quart, and I've painted big Jaguars that took over a gallon, but never something the size of a 2G. So I'm wondering how much paint it took you guys to do your cars.

I'm going to be doing primer, basecoat and clear. The primer I'll just buy a gallon, because it can be used anywhere if I have leftover paint. I'll probably get a gallon of clear too, because like primer it can be used on different projects.

I'm guessing 1/2 gallon to 3/4 gallon of my base color, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think?

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How much paint should I get?, dalesmitsu, Oct-07-11 07:05 PM, #1
RE: How much paint should I get?, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-07-11 07:51 PM, #2
      RE: How much paint should I get?, Fallen4ng31, Oct-08-11 06:07 AM, #3
      RE: How much paint should I get?, 95_ESi_Person, Oct-09-11 11:08 AM, #4
           RE: How much paint should I get?, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-09-11 12:07 PM, #5
      RE: How much paint should I get?, dalesmitsu, Oct-09-11 09:25 PM, #6
           RE: How much paint should I get?, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-09-11 09:40 PM, #7
                RE: How much paint should I get?, 95_ESi_Person, Oct-11-11 05:13 PM, #8
                     RE: How much paint should I get?, Fallen4ng31, Oct-12-11 01:44 PM, #9
                          RE: How much paint should I get?, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-11 04:11 PM, #10

dalesmitsuOct-07-11 07:05 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105496, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-07-11 07:07 PM by dalesmitsu

Check these out.

watch Ep. 11-3 how to shoot candy paint.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GOct-07-11 07:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105497, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 1

Dale, reading comprehension PWNS you.

I know how to paint cars. I've done it several times. I need to know HOW MUCH TO BUY.

Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

Fallen4ng31Oct-08-11 06:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#105498, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 2

Are you planning on shooting the door jambs, engine bay, etc? If not, you could probably get away with 1/2 a gallon.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

95_ESi_PersonOct-09-11 11:08 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#105499, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
Are you planning on shooting the door jambs, engine bay, etc? If not, you could probably get away with 1/2 a gallon.

This. I painted my old Talon (minus roof, engine bay, etc) with plenty left over.

RoninEclipse2GOct-09-11 12:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105500, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks guys. The car is staying green so I hadn't planned on doing jambs or any of that stuff. Looks like 2qts it is unless it's just cheaper to buy the gallon (sometimes it is)

Erik P.

dalesmitsuOct-09-11 09:25 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#105501, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-09-11 09:30 PM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Dale, reading comprehension PWNS you. I know how to paint cars. I've done it several times. I need to know HOW MUCH TO BUY. Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?

Where's Moe's wies guy eh' poke slap smack with a big grin
I knew that, the video says that the dupont diy kit has everything you need to paint your whole. Thought you caught on to that segment.

Both videos is for anyone else that wants to your car, not the laquer finsh.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

RoninEclipse2GOct-09-11 09:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105502, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G Dale, reading comprehension PWNS you. I know how to paint cars. I've done it several times. I need to know HOW MUCH TO BUY. Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?
Where's Moe's wies guy eh' poke slap smack with a big grin I knew that, the video says that the dupont diy kit has everything you need to paint your whole. Thought you caught on to that segment. Both videos is for anyone else that wants to your car, not the laquer finsh.

Yeah, he used half a quart just painting a fender. I doubt I'm going to get a whole car out of one can.

Erik P.

95_ESi_PersonOct-11-11 05:13 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#105503, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 7

Are you using duplicolor my previous statement may not work. Traditional lacquer paint is what I was talking about, the reducer cuts it enough to spread it out plenty (follow the directions of course).

Fallen4ng31Oct-12-11 01:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#105504, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 8

Judging by Erik's other post in the pits, I think the paint job project is going to be delayed.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-11 04:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#105505, "RE: How much paint should I get?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
Judging by Erik's other post in the pits, I think the paint job project is going to be delayed.

This.

Erik P.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105495 Previous topic | Next topic