Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104643
View in linear mode

Subject: "2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon" Previous topic | Next topic
Slo2gMay-30-10 12:51 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104643, "2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"

I have been working on this for a while now and just thought I would throw some info to people that may be interested in doing the swap.

The Front Bumper

Straight forward, get 2ga eclipse headlights or any year Talon headlights and bolt them in.

Mount 2gb Talon front bumper. Done

The Rear Bumper

This one is a little more involved. You need to drill the spot welds off the rear bumper brackets and take the actual brackets off the car. Now that the brackets are off the car you need to drill out the extra holes needed for the talon "middle section" of the tail lights, 3 below the factory eclipse rear bumper bracket. Now you can bolt in all 3 sections of the talon lights. Next you need to measure or mark where the new bumper brackets need to be mounted at(I just marked) To do this I just took the center section out and held the bumper where I wanted it to be and marked it with a sharpie. Once marked you can either weld the bumper bracket to the car in the new spot or you can drill some more holes and just use some bolts and lock washers to hold the bracket in place(I used nuts and bolts and lock washers). Do the same for the other side and the middle.

The Wiring

Now here is the tricky part(and the part I'm trying to figure out with out having to rewire the car and get a new flasher from a talon) Well actually I'm still stuck at this point. I have taken and compared the pin outs and wiring from the eclipse(has only 3 wires in taillight sub-harness) to the talon (has 5 wires in taillight sub-harness) and come to the conclusion(so far)that I can make the parking lights, and brake lights work correctly and run a dedicated turn signal wire to make the turn signal work.......BUT, when the turn signal is also turned on the brake light and parking lights will flash too.

The eclipse has a Green/White wire in pin 7(parking lights), Black wire in pin 6(ground), and a Green wire in pin 4(brake lights). The tricky part is that the Green wire(pin 4) is also the turn signal wire as well.

The talon has a Green/White wire in pin 7(parking lights), a Black wire in pin 6 (ground), a Green/Blue wire in pin 4(turn signal), a Green wire in pin 3(brake wire), and a Red/Blue wire in pin 2(reverse light)

I'm still open to suggestions here though I feel I will need to change the flasher and run a dedicated turn signal wire from the flasher unit(as I don't want to replace the entire interior harness) for the turn signals to flash and keep the brake lights from flashing too.

Thats all I have for now as I'm doing this swap now, I will soon add pics for the rear bumper so it can be understood a little better and also post how I take care of the tail lights situation.(I'm making this post to pretty much ask if you guys have any insight to the wiring, but also help anyone that may do the Eclipse to Talon swap as well because there are a TON of post on doing the Talon to Eclipse. Soon I will add how I have attached the 2gb talon side moldings and also how I installed the 2ga talon side skirts if I choose to do them and not let a body shop do them.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, Slo2g, May-30-10 10:59 PM, #1
RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, dalesmitsu, May-31-10 02:26 AM, #2
RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, Slo2g, May-31-10 11:01 AM, #3
      RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, dalesmitsu, May-31-10 04:07 PM, #4
           RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, Slo2g, May-31-10 05:57 PM, #5
                RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, whtclipse98, Jun-01-10 04:05 PM, #6
                     RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, Slo2g, Jun-01-10 10:13 PM, #7
                          RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, Slo2g, Jun-02-10 11:11 PM, #8
                               RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-03-10 12:31 AM, #9
                                    RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-03-10 09:14 AM, #10
                                         RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, Moderatorteklein, Jun-03-10 10:02 AM, #11
                                              RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon, whtclipse98, Jun-03-10 01:30 PM, #12
                                                   Pics of the conversion, Slo2g, Jun-15-10 08:10 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Pics of the conversion, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-16-10 01:16 AM, #14
                                                             RE: Pics of the conversion, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-16-10 01:45 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Pics of the conversion, Babbz413, Jun-18-10 09:14 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Pics of the conversion, Moderatorteklein, Jun-18-10 10:00 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Pics of the conversion, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-18-10 10:29 AM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Pics of the conversion, freelancefool, Jun-22-10 08:03 PM, #19
                                                                                      RE: Pics of the conversion, Slo2g, Jun-23-10 08:35 AM, #20
                                                                                           RE: Pics of the conversion, dalesmitsu, Jun-24-10 12:29 AM, #21
                                                                                                RE: Pics of the conversion, megaskillz, Jun-24-10 09:26 AM, #22
                                                                                                     RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts, Slo2g, Jun-27-10 09:03 PM, #23
                                                                                                          RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts, Slo2g, Jul-16-10 10:57 AM, #24
                                                                                                               RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts, Ebster1085, Jul-18-10 06:49 AM, #25
                                                                                                                    RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts, Slo2g, Jul-25-10 10:20 PM, #26
                                                                                                                         RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts, 420agreenvilleSC, Jul-26-10 10:14 AM, #27
                                                                                                                              LED mirrors, Slo2g, Aug-05-10 08:05 PM, #28

Slo2gMay-30-10 10:59 PM
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104647, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 0

Found the link on how to do the talon lighting, I know this says its for the EDM/JDM eclipse tail lights but the talon is set up the same way as the JDM/EDM lights work so it will work for the talon too. Pics soon to come, and hopefully get the bumpers out to paint!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/129261-how-wire-euro-jdm-taillights.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dalesmitsuMay-31-10 02:26 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#104648, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice, but have you check the wiki there's a good conversion write up with pics.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Slo2gMay-31-10 11:01 AM
1074 posts,
#104649, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 2

I have not seen in the wiki of someone starting with an eclipse and ending up with a talon. I have seen someone starting with a talon and ending with an eclipse though, if I'm mistaken then please link me!

dalesmitsuMay-31-10 04:07 PM
986 posts,
#104650, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Slo2g
I have not seen in the wiki of someone starting with an eclipse and ending up with a talon. I have seen someone starting with a talon and ending with an eclipse though, if I'm mistaken then please link me!

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Full_Talon_to_Eclipse_Conversion done.

__

Slo2gMay-31-10 05:57 PM
1074 posts,
#104651, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 4

This still doesn't cover the wiring if going from ECLIPSE TO TALON. undone...

whtclipse98Jun-01-10 04:05 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#104652, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 5

You aren't going to find a Eclipse to Talon conversion because most people are wanting to convert from Talon to Eclipse. You'll more than likely be the first to do this so it would be best to take lots of pictures so you can make a wiki for it. Templates are going to be key in doing this so make sure you make some really good ones.

Slo2gJun-01-10 10:13 PM
1074 posts,
#104653, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 6

I know that I won't find one but I'm sure others have done it. The wiring was the main thing. I'm planning on making the write up for it, for the wiring as stated above you just use the same changes as you would using the EDM tail lights.

Slo2gJun-02-10 11:11 PM
1074 posts,
#104660, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 7

Well, I got around to fixing the lights on the car so the talon rear lights would work correctly and seems I'm 95% there. The only issue I have now is that the "outer" parking lights on the eclipse are also the brake lights on the talon, the problem is it needs to have a dual filament bulb to run the parking lights and the brake lights but it only has two. Not a big issue, I'll get a 3 wire(dual filament) connector and put it in the corner light spot and rewire it to have the brake and parking lights there. Well on to some pictures I took of the wiring(the pictures of putting the rear bumper on will be added when I take the bumper off and get it painted so they will be added later.)

First off you need to remove your center console and remove the radio to access the flasher unit. Here is a picture of it, its a black box on the upper right hand side of the center console with the radio out and has a white 10 pin plug going into the bottom of it. You need to unplug it...

What you want to do next is de-pin pin number 2(should be a green wire) and tape it up in the harness so it can't short out anywhere.
Please NOTE in the picture below I had the wrong wire de-pinned and had to repin it and de-pin the correct wire.

Now you CAN put your dash back together but I would recommend leaving everything apart so if you have a problem you don't have to take it all the way back apart. On to the next step

Now you need to access the wire for the 3rd brake light. The wire that you de-pinned before was the brake wire for your tail lights so you will now have no brake lights, don't freak out! The 3rd brake light wire is actually under the rear 1/4 glass on the drivers side. To get to this wire you need to remove the lower back seat and remove the 2 screws in the side panel then pop the side panel off. you should now be looking at a white connector that looks like the one in the picture below...

Now you will want to "tap" into the green wire in this harness. I recommend just splicing into it. I don't care for "T" taps. You will want a good bit of wire because you are going to run it from the green wire(where you tapped into it at) all the way to the passenger tail light. By doing this you are running another brake light to your tail lights(because you disconnected the one at the flasher earlier).

The next step is to attach the wire that you tapped into to the brake lights so you have brake lights again! To do this you need to pull the back side panels out of your car. Once these side panels are off you will see a white connector that connects your tail light harness to the rest of the car. It will have 3 wires in it, 1 black(ground), 1 green/white(parking lights), and on the driver side a gray/red(turn signal) and on the passenger a gray/blue(turn signal). what you need to do is cut the turn signal wires below the white connector( the side that is attached to the body harness)

Now that you have cut the wire you need to connect the 3rd brake light wire to the plug side of the harness. This will activate the brake light part of the dual filament bulb(well not yet but it will in a min!)

Now what you need to do is change the pinning on the talon tail light harness(sorry I don't have pics of this but I will add some next time I am back there) and move the green/blue wire(turn signal wire on the talon) to where the green(brake light) is and the green wire to where the green/blue wire was(so your swapping two pins).

Now you need cut the green/blue wire on the talon tail light harness and tape up the side that doesn't go to the bulb. Now take the side that goes to the bulb and attach it to the body side of the gray/blue wire that you cut earlier. Now you almost done, you need to tap another wire into the turn signal wire and put an 8ohm 20w resistor on it. Now take the other side of the resistor and ground it. What this did is simulate another bulb on that wire. So now when you turn the turn signal on it wont "quick flash" like you have a bulb out.

You will need to do this on the other light too, its the same as the above except the wire is NOT gray/blue, its gray/red.

Now pictures of the lights...

Brake light

Parking lights

Turn signal

If you read all of this and didn't understand something please let me know, its after 1am here and my mind is not the freshest. So if I need to rephrase something I can/will or if I need to get better pictures just let me know. As always use this only as a guide. Test all wires before cutting/splicing/connecting them.

Attachment #1, (imageshack file)

RoninEclipse2GJun-03-10 12:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104661, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 8

The only thing I can isee that's wrong with this is...

Where's the damn Wiki link?

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

420agreenvilleSCJun-03-10 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#104662, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 9

w00000000tttttt!

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratortekleinJun-03-10 10:02 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#104663, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 10

Wiki!

whtclipse98Jun-03-10 01:30 PM
137 posts,
#104664, "RE: 2gb Eclipse RS to 2gb Talon"
In response to Reply # 11

wiki wiki wiki

Slo2gJun-15-10 08:10 PM
1074 posts,
#104684, "Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 12

420agreenvilleSCJun-16-10 01:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#104685, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 13

fuckn wierd. lol

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

RoninEclipse2GJun-16-10 01:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104687, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 14

I like the Eagle center cap in the EVO 8's

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

Babbz413Jun-18-10 09:14 AM
260 posts,
#104688, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 15

How much further does that front bumper come down than the rest of your skirtless car?

I'm trying to figure out if the 97-98 Talon front would line up with 2gb sideskirts or if it would look awkward.

Anyone got any pics of a 2gb eclipse with skirts with 97-98 talon front?

95 GS Boosted

ModeratortekleinJun-18-10 10:00 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#104689, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by Babbz413
How much further does that front bumper come down than the rest of your skirtless car? I'm trying to figure out if the 97-98 Talon front would line up with 2gb sideskirts or if it would look awkward. Anyone got any pics of a 2gb eclipse with skirts with 97-98 talon front?

It doesnt come down too far.

But remember, 97-98 Talons never had sideskirts

RoninEclipse2GJun-18-10 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#104690, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 17
Jun-18-10 10:31 AM by RoninEclipse2G

nevermind. wrong thread

Erik P.

freelancefoolJun-22-10 08:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#104697, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 18

I hate you Zac.

My Blog

Slo2gJun-23-10 08:35 AM
1074 posts,
#104706, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 19

:P I know Clay, don't worry its still got a LONG way to go before its really clean or clean for that matter. As far as 2gb eclipse skirts with a talon front bumper, imo it looks like ass. But that is my opinion. There are a few pics of a Spyder I know for sure on tuners because they did a talon conversion but left the 2gb eclipse skirts.

dalesmitsuJun-24-10 12:29 AM
986 posts,
#104711, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 20

Not bad.

At least you didnt add this to it.
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1797686372.html

__

megaskillzJun-24-10 09:26 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#104712, "RE: Pics of the conversion"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Not bad. At least you didnt add this to it. http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/1797686372.html

WTF? Lol. That looks weird.

Slo2gJun-27-10 09:03 PM
1074 posts,
#104726, "RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts"
In response to Reply # 22

Well, I was trying to work on the 1g today and ended up getting a case of fuck it and decided to drill some holes in my car. So needless to say, I got the 2ga Talon side skirts mounted today. Pretty self explainable. I set the skirt where it needed to be and marked the tabs for where the lock tabs go with white out. I then laid it up to the car and it marked where I needed to drill. I used a 1/4" drill bit for the holes.
(I made this one big so you can see the holes a little better.)

Next I just used some of what I call "mitsu screws" (which is the normal interior gold screw that comes in the eclipse/talon) and screwed them into the metal underbody of the car and used OEM clips for the side skirt(I ONLY recommend oem clips for this) and then clicked it in to place. Viola, done, repeat process on other parts of the side skirt. The only other tricky part is when installing the door cap make sure when you open the door it does catch on the front fender. I had to adjust both of my front fenders to get it to clear the door cap and fit correctly. More pics....

/>

/>

/>

I'll get some better pics of it tomorrow! Next up should be the 2gb talon side streak and then down the road....PAINT!!!

Slo2gJul-16-10 10:57 AM
1074 posts,
#104791, "RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts"
In response to Reply # 23

Did another small mod tonight! On a bad note, a friend broke the talon center section helping me take it apart. I said screw it and decided to try it out anyway. I had to epoxy the rear section back together and where it broke the epoxy wouldn't let it sit back flush in the housing but I will get another section and take my time and do it right and slowly! This one didn't turn out too bad for about 2 hours worth of work. I used white led strip and I plan on wiring it through a resistor so when the parking lights are on and the brakes are hit it lights up a little brighter. I've already done it on the bench, I just need to do it in the car, but I didn't want to go through all the trouble with a broken section anyway here is the picture. It lights up more evenly in person but you get the idea.

Ebster1085Jul-18-10 06:49 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#104794, "RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts"
In response to Reply # 24

Pretty cool concept Zac. Def try to get up so me better quality pics so we can really appreciate it.

Slo2gJul-25-10 10:20 PM
1074 posts,
#104806, "RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts"
In response to Reply # 25

Went to the shop and borrowed the dyno for a bit. Got the car running on MSnS 1 V2.2 again on the stock injectors, problem is that every time I turn the car off I have to reload the firmware and reload my map to the MSnS unit or it will not start...says config error. I'm going to call Symtechlabs tomorrow about it because they are the ones that fixed the unit. On another note, the compression and turbo feels good on the little bit of boost that I just happen to hit (5psi or so at max) but if I can get the reloading problem figured out and it runs good on the MSnS for a few weeks I will swap in the big injectors Anyway, here are some more pics!

/>

Uploaded with http://imageshack.us>ImageShack.us

/>

/>

/>

/>

/>

/>

420agreenvilleSCJul-26-10 10:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#104807, "RE: Pics of the conversion 2ga talon sideskirts"
In response to Reply # 26

mmmmmm!!!

Slo2gAug-05-10 08:05 PM
1074 posts,
#104839, "LED mirrors"
In response to Reply # 27

So I got around to doing another small mod tonight(well while I was at work ) but it didn't come out like I planned so I'm probably going to redo them. Anyway, sorry for the horrible pic quality but here it is...

how it looks normal

/>

and how it looks when the turn signal is flashing.

/>

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104643 Previous topic | Next topic