Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #36081
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question for RSConversion" Previous topic | Next topic
1FastEclipseDec-06-02 02:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36081, "Question for RSConversion"

You explained to me earlier how to install my own body kit. You said I can use Dupli Spraypaint on the pieces. I was just wondering if regular black would match the paint ok or if I had to purchase a sertain one. Also when I patch those holes where the spoiler came from with the Bondo will those crack in the winter with the cold weather and would you be able to tell where I touched those up with the paint after it is finished? Thanks alot for your help.

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Question for RSConversion, Teameclipse804, Dec-06-02 03:51 PM, #1
RE: Question for RSConversion, slacker911, Dec-06-02 04:47 PM, #2
      RE: Question for RSConversion, blitzeclipse99, Dec-06-02 05:16 PM, #3
           RE: Question for RSConversion, 1FastEclipse, Dec-06-02 05:18 PM, #4
                RE: Question for RSConversion, blitzeclipse99, Dec-06-02 05:24 PM, #5
                     RE: Question for RSConversion, RSConversion, Dec-06-02 07:06 PM, #6
                          RE: Question for RSConversion, Teameclipse804, Dec-06-02 08:02 PM, #7
                               RE: Question for RSConversion, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-06-02 10:42 PM, #8
                                    RE: Question for RSConversion, chrysler kid, Dec-07-02 01:57 AM, #9
                                         RE: Question for RSConversion, 1FastEclipse, Dec-07-02 02:55 AM, #10
                                              RE: Question for RSConversion, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Dec-07-02 03:10 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Question for RSConversion, slacker911, Dec-07-02 03:41 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Question for RSConversion, TeamDeanoD, Dec-07-02 04:47 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Question for RSConversion, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Dec-07-02 05:05 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Question for RSConversion, shuwa29, Dec-07-02 11:18 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Question for RSConversion, ez, Dec-07-02 12:23 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Question for RSConversion, blitzeclipse99, Dec-07-02 01:08 PM, #17

Teameclipse804Dec-06-02 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36082, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 0

Please DO NOT use regular black. YOu have to use the exact black made for your car.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

slacker911Dec-06-02 04:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1149 posts,
#36083, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 1

Alright since nobody else is I am going to say this. RSconversion is full of shit you cannot paint your body kit with a damn spray can it will look like SHIT period. The black will not match and you will be able to see where you tried to cover up the holes. Yes the holes will crack especialy if you open and shut your hatch alot and you have extreme temp chages in your area (ie summer and cold snowy winter). RSconversion is saying alot of crap and mis leading alot of the newer members who don't know as much about paint and body work. Its not his car and that car was not fully painted with spray can paint like he said you can tell the rear bumper is lighter meaning it was painted with a seperate batch of paint that did not match the stock color and whoever mixed the paint sucks at it. If I turn out to be wrong about RS then I am sorry but so far all I have seen is a bunch of bull shit and alot of newbies that are going to have body kits that look like crap and wasting alot of time and money to fix it.

Nathan

Slacker Motorsports
Some stuff......

blitzeclipse99Dec-06-02 05:16 PM
Member since Oct 28th 2002
172 posts,
#36084, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 2

thank you!!! The proper way to match a kit is to have someone that is a pro do it. That's yer best bet bub!

18 focal g7's
custom exhaust
weapon r coilovers
stage 1 clutchmasters
shaved stuff:
antennae
rear wiper and squirter
spoiler
reverse lights

oh yeah...it's a 99 gs

1FastEclipseDec-06-02 05:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#36085, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 3

If I got the same color paint from Paintscratch.com would it still look like shit?

blitzeclipse99Dec-06-02 05:24 PM
172 posts,
#36086, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 4

Well, it depends on how talented of a painter you are. There is a lot more to painting a car tha just having the correct paint color. It may sound kinda vague, but you have to "know how to paint". That's why I say have a pro do it. You will spend a lot more money fixing it than you would to have them match it. As far as the holes from your wing, weld small metal pieces to cover the holes. That's what I did and it worked very good. You wont have to keep fixing the cracked bondo and stuff.

18 focal g7's
custom exhaust
weapon r coilovers
stage 1 clutchmasters
shaved stuff:
antennae
rear wiper and squirter
spoiler
reverse lights

oh yeah...it's a 99 gs

RSConversionDec-06-02 07:06 PM
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
67 posts,
#36087, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok as for the truth dont listen to the others they for some reason unknown to me have aquired a hate for me and all my posts but anyway Dupli Color (and this is why I said them) makes paint to exactly match your current car color (look through a catalog you can get online from them for your paint code) and it will match perfectly it will be about $24-$30 a can but still alot cheaper than paying someone and as for the bondo no it wont crack unless it is hit really hard like with a hammer hard.

198hp @6350 rpm NA 420A (Thanks to new JE forged 9.5:1 Deep Dishers ready for Zex Nitrous 150 Shot) -THIS IS NOT MY CAR ITS A FRIENDS!

Teameclipse804Dec-06-02 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#36088, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 6

Sorry, I'll be more blunt now, and agree with the others. Do NOT do what RS is saying in my opinion. THere is NO way duplicolor can match your stock paint. The reason is that your stock paint is old and faded. You need a professional body shop to exactly mix the color to best match your car's paint (which is at least a few years old). Also, you do need a professional paint gun to do it right. There are painters out there that have been painting for 20 years and still don't do it right. I know first hand because the shop I work with fired one after he messed up minor details on too many cars.

BTW...your sig now says that the maroon gsx is not your car...then why did you say that it was your car before and you painted it using spray paint, and that it came out good? You told us to look at your paint job in your sig, but now it's not your car?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Amish_EclipseDec-06-02 10:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#36089, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 7

^^^ like he said. paint fades over time. you need it mixed to match.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

chrysler kidDec-07-02 01:57 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#36090, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 8

dude if you want a quick fix go to pep boys and get the import color spray paint. It wont match perfectly buy it will only cost you $15 for 3 cans of spray paint. I saw a guy paint his civic with that shit in the parking lot of pepboys. Its a dull color and it prolly wont match at all but its better than driving around with a blue front bumper on a white car

11.65 @ 115

1FastEclipseDec-07-02 02:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#36091, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 9

Alright. Hmmm. This is difficult. Who to trust! lol. If I fit the body kit on the car myself and then took it somewhere to have the pieces painted. How much do you think that would run? Also, what type of metal did you weld to the car insted of using bondo? You have to sand it down?

ModeratorEvuLFleADec-07-02 03:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#36092, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 10

>Alright. Hmmm. This is difficult. Who to trust!

One thing that helps is to look at ratings

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

slacker911Dec-07-02 03:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1149 posts,
#36093, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 11

thats not cool I only have 4 points lol

Anyways here is exactly what I did for my spoiler holes. I bought some steel from a place that specializes in auto body paint and tools (you should have one near you just ask them what they recomend). I forget what gauge it was but it was still flexible but decently thick. For your holes cut a peice that is a little bigger then the hole and tape it under the hole from the inside of the car (yes the tape will catch on fire make sure you blow it out). From the outside spot weld it in place. Make sure you do not over heat the metal as it will warp very easily! Grind down any welds that are higher then the body panel itself. After that apply bondo and sand repeat untill it is perfect. I would also recomend you primer the inside where you just welded bacause the heat will cause the paint to come off and it can rust over time. That should be about it. I hope it makes sense and good luck.

BTW I would like to thank RSconversion for PMing me and not doing it on the board. I sent you my apologize for starting shit on the board and not PMing you like I should have. Your a better man then me because of this. Sorry.

Slacker Motorsports
Some stuff......

TeamDeanoDDec-07-02 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#36094, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 12

A little bickering is good once in a while. Keeps people honest.

I am not a body man, but have had many kits painted that were bought from a shop I worked at. Have a pro do it if you want the kit/car to look like you intended. A shitty looking body kit will get more negative attention than having no kit at all. There are many other things to consider like flex additives etc. Base/Clearcoat is the only way to go.

Be careful about what you read on this board. I try and only take advice from people that have actually done something themselves.

I also do not have many points. I have been on this board for quite a few years and could care less if somebody gives me feedback points for helping them. I do find the feedbacks a little over rated and you have to look at who is actually giving the points.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

ModeratorEvuLFleADec-07-02 05:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#36095, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 13

Yeah I don't just mean look at how many points but rather go in and read the person's feedbacks and who gave it to them. I am on AIM a lot and chat with many people so people might know me better so I have a better chance of gettting rated. I find it funny I was the first person that rated you DeanoD

If someone was to read my feedback...
~20 points for good transactions - means I am honest buyer/seller
~20 points for helping people - means I actually do help sometimes
~20 points for no reason from buddies
~-4 points for being a dickhead - means I speak my mind

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

shuwa29Dec-07-02 11:18 AM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#36096, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 14

since he is giving bad advice and not exactly being "honest" about certain things, could we just, i don't know, BAN HIM!!!! maybe i'm being blunt but you know, it's just an idea.
later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

ezDec-07-02 12:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#36097, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 15

>>>>Alright. Hmmm. This is difficult. Who to trust! lol

I'll make it simple for you. Listen to Marcus(eclipse804)'s post. He knows a lot about this kind of stuff. If you're going to paint your car, you betta' do it right

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

blitzeclipse99Dec-07-02 01:08 PM
172 posts,
#36098, "RE: Question for RSConversion"
In response to Reply # 16

as for the spoiler holes...I did mine exactly how slacker911 explained to do it.

18 focal g7's
custom exhaust
weapon r coilovers
stage 1 clutchmasters
shaved stuff:
antennae
rear wiper and squirter
spoiler
reverse lights

oh yeah...it's a 99 gs

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #36081 Previous topic | Next topic