Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #2779
View in linear mode

Subject: "1G/2G Seat Question?" Previous topic | Next topic
4hellaApr-06-01 04:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
20 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2779, "1G/2G Seat Question?"

Are the seats in a 1G compatible with the 2g? Meaning do they just bolt in the same holes?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, Jen, Apr-07-01 03:36 AM, #1
RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, TeamDR1665, Feb-12-06 09:02 AM, #2
      RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, DSMxTSi, Feb-12-06 11:05 AM, #3
           RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, TeamDR1665, Feb-12-06 03:54 PM, #4
                RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, DSMxTSi, Feb-13-06 07:09 AM, #5
                     RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, TeamDR1665, Feb-13-06 08:46 AM, #6
                          RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, DSMxTSi, Feb-13-06 10:18 AM, #7
                               RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, TeamDR1665, Feb-14-06 06:16 AM, #8
                                    RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, DSMxTSi, Feb-19-06 11:08 AM, #9
                                         RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?, TeamDR1665, Feb-21-06 12:53 PM, #10

JenApr-07-01 03:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2780, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nope

But it's possible to take the tracks of the 2g seat and put them onto the 1g seat. Takes lots of measuring though. It'll look kinda funny in the car cause the 2g seats are wider...

Jen
dsmxtsi@gmx.net
http://communities.msn.com/jennicody

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Feb-12-06 09:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#92424, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 1

Well. Didn't my plans for the afternoon change suddenly.

Gotta love how a nine year old driver's seat just fails without warning...

...and how the seach still works.

DSMxTSiFeb-12-06 11:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#92425, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by DR1665
Well. Didn't my plans for the afternoon change suddenly. Gotta love how a nine year old driver's seat just fails without warning... ...and how the seach still works.

I can only imagine seeing you drive down the road then all of a sudden, WOOPS, no driver! LMAO

Jenni still wants the 1G seats from our parts car in the 2gnt. Maybe someday....

TeamDR1665Feb-12-06 03:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#92427, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DSMxTSi
I can only imagine seeing you drive down the road then all of a sudden, WOOPS, no driver!

Actually, it was more along the lines of, get in car, start engine, reach over to grab seatbelt, WHAM! I'm doing the whole lean back, lean back, lean back thing. Ugh.

Jenni still wants the 1G seats from our parts car in the 2gnt. Maybe someday....

I think this would be a cool idea as well. I was half tempted to PM you my number to call with any insight you might have on this subject. It turns out the vertical upright in the 2G seat broke clean through at the second nut on the hinge so, aside from welding it, there's no way to repair my seat.

I took the 2G seat apart down to the rails and the 1G seat as well when a buddy of mine reminded me that Mike (Cereal5) still has his ESi sitting in a garage at their apartment and I could borrow one of his seats for a while until I can get mine in.

That said, did you ever figure out how to work this? It appears that the 1G seats do not bolt to the hinges on the frame the same way the 2Gs do. You can unzip the 2G seat back and get to the bolts up in there, but not on the 1G seats. 1G seats have the hinge/spring mounted to the back of the seat, while 2Gs have the hinge/spring mounted to the base. I don't see how this can be done, but I need to do it.

I'm half tempted to just put the 1G seat back together, put it in place where I want it, and punch four clean holes though the floorboard with fresh hardware...

Any thoughts? Anyone??

DSMxTSiFeb-13-06 07:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#92433, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 4

Actually, it was more along the lines of, get in car, start engine, reach over to grab seatbelt, WHAM! I'm doing the whole lean back, lean back, lean back thing. Ugh.

Well now, that's even more funny! Looks like the seat owned you.

I think this would be a cool idea as well. I was half tempted to PM you my number to call with any insight you might have on this subject.

Unfortunately we hadn't ever checked into it ourselves. However, I do remember Jenni telling me about someone that did do it, so it must be possible.
The 2gnt is back up in the air for a short time due to an oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit I broke during the clutch swap. Maybe this week I'll go pull those seats out of our 1G parts car and see what we can come up with. Maybe with all of our minds put together we can "git er done"!
I think Jenni even mentioned drilling new holes for the 1G seats to bolt up to. I guess she REALLY wants them in the 2gnt. The stockers are getting well worn so I guess it's a good time for the 1G seats. I sure wouldn't want to be owned by a seat.

TeamDR1665Feb-13-06 08:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#92434, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 5

I think Jenni even mentioned drilling new holes for the 1G seats to bolt up to.

Well, the problems I came up with are related to the sizes of the seat bottoms, themselves. The bottom of the 1G seat is much more narrow than the 2G bottom.

I tried lining up the 2G base to the bottom of the 1G seat. I could only get one bolt to go in. To get any of the others to line up, I would have to notch the edge of a bracket, and that's about it. The other holes were more than an inch off.

On top of that, you have to entirely different designs. The 2G - with the hing on the base, and the 1G - with the hinge on the upright. There's no way I can see to swap back and forth.

I'm going to punch holes in the floorboard for these guys. Then I'll just pick up a $150 bucket for the GST when the timecomes that I need a real seat in it.

This is the only thread on the board dealing with this shit.

DSMxTSiFeb-13-06 10:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#92435, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 6

I tried lining up the 2G base to the bottom of the 1G seat. I could only get one bolt to go in.

By "base" do you mean the sliders?
How many bolts are there?
Sounds like you have a good head start and that drilling new holes is probably the easiest route. Hopefully I'll get the seats from our parts car out this week and tackle it, too. The only thing I won't care too much about is the back seat not matching the fronts. I guess it'll need to get recovered to match, or just removed entirely in favor of NAAAWWWSSS. Two bottles! j/k

TeamDR1665Feb-14-06 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#92438, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 7

By "base" do you mean the sliders? How many bolts are there? Sounds like you have a good head start and that drilling new holes is probably the easiest route.

I think the new holes technique will be the best.

There are three main assemblies to the seats that I can see (without breaking it down into each piece). The rails/sliders, the base, and the back.

2G
>back: unbolts from hinges underneath the cover
>base: spring/hinge is riveted to the base
>rails: unbolts from base

1G
>back: spring/hinge riveted to back, cover not coming off
>base: is pretty much made up of the rails

I should have taken pictures of what I've got thus far. I'll see if I can't remember to do that tonight when I get home. The only way this would work with putting the 1G seat on the 2G base/rails would be if you drilled out a bunh of rivets and practically fabbed up a new base. So drilling new holes is the route I will take.

Fortunately, it never rains here (at least not in the last 115 days or so), so I can skimp on fancy washers for the floor.

DSMxTSiFeb-19-06 11:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#92537, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 8

Yo Driggs! You get anywhere with this? I didn't get jack shit done this weekend, though I did get the 1G seats out of the parts car on Thursday.
There's another thread over at DSMtuners covering this same subject. One guy even put 2g seats in a 1g with some pics of a bracket he made. He had some trouble because the seats are wider than the 1g has room.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=325d74c0e12e63d62a4ae9cb0da8214a&p=1805137#post1805137

TeamDR1665Feb-21-06 12:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#92594, "RE: 1G/2G Seat Question?"
In response to Reply # 9

Yo Driggs! You get anywhere with this?

Not yet, bud. I'll see if I can't get some pics of the pieces tonight. No promises, though. I like the brackets the other guy made, but I think it will still be easier to punch new holes. I figure, I can just punch four new holes and install new hardware with plastic/rubber washers on both sides to keep any of the elements out. If I drill new holes, then I can still reinstall a 2G seat in the future and just plug the holes with Heyco plugs.

Now I have to put the seats back together.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #2779 Previous topic | Next topic