Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #74631
View in linear mode

Subject: "Powder Coating" Previous topic | Next topic
420AYEJul-05-04 10:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74631, "Powder Coating"

I got a friend that does powdercoating, and i was just curious how much everyone else was paying for this. I wanted to get my calipers, valve cover and maybe my wheels done. He said he can powder coat wood. so, im just thinkin of all the stuff i want done. I definately want my valve cover and maybe my intake done. just curious what everyone else was paying.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Powder Coating, eclipse_99rs, Jul-05-04 10:52 AM, #1
RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-06-04 02:17 PM, #2
RE: Powder Coating, MCubed45, Jul-06-04 10:12 PM, #3
      RE: Powder Coating, Moderatormicyek, Jul-07-04 01:31 AM, #4
           RE: Powder Coating, 420AYE, Jul-07-04 09:18 PM, #5
                RE: Powder Coating, Eclipse97, Jul-07-04 11:19 PM, #6
                     RE: Powder Coating, 420AYE, Jul-08-04 10:36 AM, #7
                          RE: Powder Coating, 2g99RSNC, Jul-08-04 10:54 AM, #8
                               RE: Powder Coating, nosdeclipse, Jul-08-04 12:28 PM, #9
                                    RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-08-04 02:28 PM, #10
                                         RE: Powder Coating, Dirty, Jul-08-04 03:34 PM, #11
                                              RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-08-04 03:57 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Powder Coating, Dirty, Jul-10-04 02:42 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-10-04 04:27 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Powder Coating, BumpinTalon, Jul-11-04 07:53 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Powder Coating, Exiled, Jul-13-04 10:04 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Powder Coating, 420AYE, Jul-13-04 12:44 PM, #17
                                                                            RE: Powder Coating, Exiled, Jul-14-04 06:43 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-14-04 02:43 PM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Powder Coating, Dirty, Jul-14-04 03:56 PM, #20
                                                                                      RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-14-04 05:12 PM, #21
                                                                                           RE: Powder Coating, Dirty, Jul-17-04 05:41 PM, #22
                                                                                                RE: Powder Coating, Exiled, Jul-17-04 05:49 PM, #23
                                                                                                     RE: Powder Coating, 420AYE, Jul-18-04 06:25 AM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: Powder Coating, Dirty, Jul-18-04 01:02 PM, #25
                                                                                                               RE: Powder Coating, Geelo, Jul-18-04 03:25 PM, #26
                                                                                                                    RE: Powder Coating, Dirty, Jul-19-04 03:46 PM, #27

eclipse_99rsJul-05-04 10:52 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74634, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.smpolishing.com/

myspace.com/coastiecobb

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

GeeloJul-06-04 02:17 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2004
88 posts,
#74677, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 420AYE
I got a friend that does powdercoating, and i was just curious how much everyone else was paying for this. I wanted to get my calipers, valve cover and maybe my wheels done. He said he can powder coat wood. so, im just thinkin of all the stuff i want done. I definately want my valve cover and maybe my intake done. just curious what everyone else was paying.

Powder coating works by charging a piece of metal with a positive charge and the powder has a negative charge so it sticks. Then you bake it so it stays on really good.

Wood, to the best of my knowledge, cannot conduct electricity. So I think it's not really possible to do it.

Why would you want to powder coat wood anyway?

98 GS Eclipse

MCubed45Jul-06-04 10:12 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#74704, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Geelo
Originally posted by 420AYE I got a friend that does powdercoating, and i was just curious how much everyone else was paying for this. I wanted to get my calipers, valve cover and maybe my wheels done. He said he can powder coat wood. so, im just thinkin of all the stuff i want done. I definately want my valve cover and maybe my intake done. just curious what everyone else was paying.
Powder coating works by charging a piece of metal with a positive charge and the powder has a negative charge so it sticks. Then you bake it so it stays on really good. Wood, to the best of my knowledge, cannot conduct electricity. So I think it's not really possible to do it. Why would you want to powder coat wood anyway?

so you can coat all the wooden pieces on our cars?

-marc

ModeratormicyekJul-07-04 01:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#74705, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by MCubed45
Originally posted by Geelo
Originally posted by 420AYE I got a friend that does powdercoating, and i was just curious how much everyone else was paying for this. I wanted to get my calipers, valve cover and maybe my wheels done. He said he can powder coat wood. so, im just thinkin of all the stuff i want done. I definately want my valve cover and maybe my intake done. just curious what everyone else was paying.
Powder coating works by charging a piece of metal with a positive charge and the powder has a negative charge so it sticks. Then you bake it so it stays on really good. Wood, to the best of my knowledge, cannot conduct electricity. So I think it's not really possible to do it. Why would you want to powder coat wood anyway?
so you can coat all the wooden pieces on our cars?

Amish_Eclipse?

powder coat wood?

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

420AYEJul-07-04 09:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#74746, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 4

he says he magnetically charges the wheels. but, he has a spray gun that you can spray things with that don't need to be metal. i've heard of those external uv light things that can cure powdercoating. i wonder how hard it would be to do a whole car!

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

Eclipse97Jul-07-04 11:19 PM
Member since Dec 06th 2001
539 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74750, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 5

you can powdercoat non conductive plastics, then why not wood

Good Luck

420AYEJul-08-04 10:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#74765, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 6

i want to powdercoat my car.....that would be badass.

2g99RSNCJul-08-04 10:54 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
894 posts,
#74766, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 7

i payed 40 for my valve cover and to polish the letters
i payed 200 for my wheels i had them powder black and had the lip polished i stripped the wheels though myself can get pics if u want

je pistons, je rings, eagle rods, srt4 headgasket, crane 16's, crane valve springs, aem cam gears, 2.4 udp, fast fabrication sheetmetal intake, 70mm Tb, p&p runners with 8 injector setup, 450's and 550's, fast Fab turbo manifold, 38mm Tial waste gate, T3/t4, spearco 32.5x8x3 fmic, 2.4 pt tranny, solid front and rear motor mounts, quaife lsd, spec stage 4 clutch, custom ground kit, crane ignition etc. sonn to have smt6 tuned at 20psi

nosdeclipseJul-08-04 12:28 PM
Member since Dec 17th 2002
618 posts,
#74768, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 8

i would like to see some pics if they were chrome rims. i always thought what would be the point of powedercoating over chrome, but then i saw on american chopper one time where they did it on a bike wheel and it came out badass. anyone ever powdercoat something that was already chromed?

98 eclipse gs
star stage 2 w/ bb, 8.6:1 je pistons, eagle rods, web turbo grind cams, udp, clutchmasters aluminum flywheel, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, hks aic 3, 8 injector setup, phantom grip lsd, datalogger

GeeloJul-08-04 02:28 PM
88 posts,
#74771, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 9

what plastic pieces are powder coated?
I could be wrong though, I'm not sure about the wood thing. If i were a betting man my money would be on no though. Besides, who has anything wood in there car??

Powdercoating is just a form of plating, and like all plating, it's an electrical thing. You take your object and charge it electrically to make it positive and the negative material, wether chrome, nickel, or in this case powder, sticks to it.

Thats why you don't have real chrome plastic parts.

About powdercoating chrome parts, it would cover the chrome so why go chrome with it. The smoothness comes from polishing the object before it's ever plated, the chrome wont smooth an object out, thats why it costs so much money to chrome plate stuff, they have to polish the thing up first so it's super smooth. Chrome is actually a clear coat, the reason it looks silver is because the only metal it will stick to is nickel, so it has to be nickel plated first. Nickel doesn't stick to steel but it sticks to brass. So first the steel has to have a brass plating put on it.

If your looking to have a powdercoated object with the smoothness of a chrome plated one, then you just need to get some 2000grit wetdry paper and go to town on it.

98 GS Eclipse

DirtyJul-08-04 03:34 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#74772, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 10

I'm gonna start powder coating as soon as I get my anodizing work going. I just need a bigger tank.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

GeeloJul-08-04 03:57 PM
88 posts,
#74773, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 11

If you set up a real ano tank, that would be cool. But extremely harmful and cost a lot to do. You need a big vat of sulfric acid and a smack load of electricity.

I hope you mean the tank is for the ano and not for the powdercoating, becuase you don't need a tank to powdercoat with.

98 GS Eclipse

DirtyJul-10-04 02:42 PM
1405 posts,
#74845, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 12

I've got everything I need except the battery charger. I need one with adjustable amps. Ya know where I can get one?

"Natty Ride"

GeeloJul-10-04 04:27 PM
88 posts,
#74847, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 13

Sears sells one's that should be big enough. It all depends on how big the item is.

About the wood. I think I was wrong. A laser printer works the same way as powdercoating. It charges the paper and the toner has a negative charger. So i guess you could powdercoat wood.

98 GS Eclipse

BumpinTalonJul-11-04 07:53 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#74857, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 14
Jul-11-04 07:54 PM by BumpinTalon

I'm thinking I might powercoat my chromies black w/polish lips. My car needs to be lowered first though and I think it will need a bit more exterior work or else it would just look ghetto... plus the quote is $400cdn for all four wheels (damn chrome wheels and scratches)

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

ExiledJul-13-04 10:04 AM
Member since May 17th 2003
54 posts,
#74892, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 15

hmm anodizing wish I could do that as far as powder coating you charge the powder and ground the piece your spraying as for the wood and plastics yes I have done that as well but it requires special low bake and low cure times hehe as for powdering I usually charge pretty cheap but thats just me

420AYEJul-13-04 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#74896, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 16

would it be possible to do all of a cars body panels? including the roof?

ExiledJul-14-04 06:43 AM
54 posts,
#74928, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 17

Yes it would but youd better be ready to dish out some major cash buddy

GeeloJul-14-04 02:43 PM
88 posts,
#74946, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by 420AYE
would it be possible to do all of a cars body panels? including the roof?

It would be possible. You just need to find an industrial shop that would have an oven big enough to hang your car in. If you live in an industrial area, you'd be best off checking with tire recapping plants. They powdercoat alot and if they are a big company, might have an oven big enough

98 GS Eclipse

DirtyJul-14-04 03:56 PM
1405 posts,
#74950, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 19
Jul-14-04 03:57 PM by Dirty

You can use ultra-violet light to cure the coating. Ovens are nice, but I prefer the lights. Ovens are expensive and alot of times not big enough.

"Natty Ride"

GeeloJul-14-04 05:12 PM
88 posts,
#74952, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 20

To do a car body, you would need a big ass light.

98 GS Eclipse

DirtyJul-17-04 05:41 PM
1405 posts,
#75023, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 21

You could do it in pieces. I wouldn't do it though.

"Natty Ride"

ExiledJul-17-04 05:49 PM
54 posts,
#75024, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 22

Exactly do it sections with heat lamps or uv lamps but im almost sure anyone would charge an arm and a leg just for having to prep and remove most parts as not to melt and rubber hoses and what not

420AYEJul-18-04 06:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#75028, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 23

yeah, but that shit is tough. im sure it couldn't cost more than a professional paint job.

DirtyJul-18-04 01:02 PM
1405 posts,
#75042, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 24

Well how about this. If I ever get my shit setup, I'll do a spoiler and see how that comes out. Them I'll throw rocks at it and see how hard it is to scratch.

"Natty Ride"

GeeloJul-18-04 03:25 PM
88 posts,
#75049, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 25

it would cost alot more to powdercoat then to paint. You can't just heat it for a few minutes then move on. It's gotta heat for a few hours. Your talking days to do a whole body.

And for what??? Becuase it wont scratch??? How many scratches do you have on your rims? Alot. Powdercoating scratches, just not as easy. It'll scratch if it gets hit with a car door or something like that, maybe not as bad, but not worth it for the amount of money you would spend.

98 GS Eclipse

DirtyJul-19-04 03:46 PM
1405 posts,
#75091, "RE: Powder Coating"
In response to Reply # 26

I like theblack primer look myself. I can get 5 gallons of machine paint for $10. It looks the same but better, I'm about to spray my truck with it. I got off the subject again didn't I

"Natty Ride"

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #74631 Previous topic | Next topic