Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #24419
View in threaded mode

Subject: "ding repair and re-clearcoating?" Previous topic | Next topic
510eclipseJun-17-02 02:30 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24419, "ding repair and re-clearcoating?"

hey whats up guys. i just have a few questions about my cars paint. i have a white 96 rs. the previous owner before i got the car one year ago always kept it garaged, and only drove it to and back from work every day on a short commute. the paint job is in decent shape. i also live in the sf bay area so although it is parked out side, the weather is light. but i was wondering about doing something having the whole car lightly sanded and then redoing a nice clear coat job. and of course at the same time have my door handles and mirrors matched white. if anyone around here knows much about body work i was just wondering if that is an acceptable idea. i would call and ask a body shop right now but they are all closed and i am curious if they are going to answer me like im retarded when i call them up tommarow. i dunno i think the original white is still bright as all hell. oh and also what about very light dings that i have. no paint is damaged, just very light indentations from a car door taping my doors/fenders. two really small ones on each side. ive heard that there are places that you can just go get those taken out at for like 40 bucks a piece or something like that. id love for the little imperfections to dissapear easily
thanks for any advice

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
510eclipseJun-18-02 02:19 AM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24420, "RE: ding repair and re-clearcoating?"
In response to Reply # 0

bump

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

OZ_GSJun-19-02 12:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#24421, "RE: ding repair and re-clearcoating?"
In response to Reply # 0

When I used to detail cars we would just wet-sand the clearcoat lightly with like 1500-2000 grit sand paper to get out imperfections in the paint. After its been wet-sanded you can use a rotary buffer to "polish" the clearcoat again. Most of the time if its just imperfections in the clearcoat buffing can take care of it. In the hands of a professional a rotary buffer can do some amazing stuff. The problem is when you try too hard to get something out of your clearcoat you risk burning the paint. And if the scratches ect. are through the clearcoat and into the paint the only way to fix it is with paint/body work.

Good Luck....

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #24419 Previous topic | Next topic