Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102367
View in linear mode

Subject: "Airbag removal safety?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
420aSebringApr-19-07 06:01 AM
Member since Aug 19th 2006
60 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102367, "Airbag removal safety?"

I want to remove my airbags, they don't check airbags here so I just want to get rid of them. My question is with the battery disconnected (it's been disconnected for months) is there a chance of the airbag going off? I don't want to be in the middle of removing the airbags and they explode. And lastly where would I store these things? Are they dangerous to even have laying around? Thanks in advance.

"ex-ATX"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Airbag removal safety?, totaleclipse_05, Apr-19-07 06:06 AM, #1
RE: Airbag removal safety?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-19-07 07:15 AM, #2
      RE: Airbag removal safety?, Slimyjr., Apr-19-07 07:31 AM, #3
      RE: Airbag removal safety?, TeamDR1665, Apr-19-07 08:13 AM, #4
           RE: Airbag removal safety?, 420aSebring, Apr-19-07 08:40 AM, #5
                RE: Airbag removal safety?, 420aSebring, Apr-19-07 03:05 PM, #6
                     RE: Airbag removal safety?, talon749, Apr-19-07 04:43 PM, #7
                          RE: Airbag removal safety?, 420aSebring, Apr-19-07 04:51 PM, #8
                               RE: Airbag removal safety?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-19-07 07:10 PM, #10
                                    RE: Airbag removal safety?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-20-07 01:18 PM, #11
                                         RE: Airbag removal safety?, travis642, Apr-20-07 02:05 PM, #12
      RE: Airbag removal safety?, travis642, Apr-19-07 04:57 PM, #9
           RE: Airbag removal safety?, 420aSebring, Apr-20-07 02:56 PM, #13
                RE: Airbag removal safety?, totaleclipse_05, Apr-20-07 09:11 PM, #14
                     RE: Airbag removal safety?, foggy45, Apr-21-07 02:17 AM, #15
                     RE: Airbag removal safety?, 420aSebring, Apr-21-07 03:41 AM, #16
                     RE: Airbag removal safety?, totaleclipse_05, Apr-21-07 06:50 AM, #18
                          RE: Airbag removal safety?, 420aSebring, Apr-21-07 07:03 AM, #19
                               RE: Airbag removal safety?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-21-07 07:59 AM, #20
                     RE: Airbag removal safety?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-21-07 04:22 AM, #17
                          RE: Airbag removal safety?, muscle_mitsu, Apr-21-07 10:18 AM, #21
                               RE: Airbag removal safety?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-21-07 10:28 AM, #22
                                    RE: Airbag removal safety?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-21-07 11:14 AM, #23

totaleclipse_05Apr-19-07 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102368, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 0

If the battery has been disconnected for a while, you shouldn't have anything to worry about taking them out. Just don't drop them or anything like that. One question, why do you want to take them out?

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-19-07 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#102369, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 1

Personally, I wouldn't remove them unless you're planning to turn it into a drag car or some type of race car. You never know it could save your life one day with the combination of a seatbelt also.

My $.02 from a safety standpoint.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Slimyjr.Apr-19-07 07:31 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2007
212 posts,
#102370, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by xcasbonx
Personally, I wouldn't remove them unless you're planning to turn it into a drag car or some type of race car. You never know it could save your life one day with the combination of a seatbelt also. My $.02 from a safety standpoint.

^^Precisely what I was thinking

But if you still want to take em out, just make sure your negative battery cables are disconnected from your battery.

TeamDR1665Apr-19-07 08:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#102371, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Slimyjr.
if you still want to take em out, just make sure your negative battery cables are disconnected from your battery.

For at least five minutes. The SRS system is designed to maintain the ability to fire for a couple minutes after the battery is disconnected.

420aSebringApr-19-07 08:40 AM
60 posts,
#102372, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-19-07 08:43 AM by 420aSebring

They didn't work anyways, the car looked like it was already in an accident before so I removed the airbag controller from the console. Thanks for your help I'll get to removing them.

"ex-ATX"

420aSebringApr-19-07 03:05 PM
60 posts,
#102373, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 5

Well I got them out, didn't take long at all. I even managed to save the dash cover for the passenger side airbag to retain the oem look, here are some pictures. I am going to eventually get an aftermarket steering wheel.

passenger side after airbag remove, I used jb weld to hold it back into place.

"ex-ATX"

talon749Apr-19-07 04:43 PM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
#102374, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah your going to have to be really careful now, epically when you have passengers in the car, would hate you see someone get killed in a car they didn't even know had the air bags removed....

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

420aSebringApr-19-07 04:51 PM
60 posts,
#102375, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 7
Apr-19-07 04:56 PM by 420aSebring

I have a 1983 Datsun 280zx which has no airbags, I still feel safer in my Sebring with no airbags than my 280zx since it's a bigger car with a 5 star crash test rating. You're going to have to be really careful with or with out passengers in the car with you regardless of whether you have airbags or not.

"ex-ATX"

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-19-07 07:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#102376, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 420aSebring
with a 5 star crash test rating.

You realize it had a 5-star rating because it had airbags, right? Right?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GApr-20-07 01:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102377, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 10

now it's time for 4point harnesses, cause the seatbelts were designed to work with the airbags unlike your 280 which have a higher lockup rate. Basically the sebring seatbelts will give more with the expectation that the airbags will catch you, making them less likely to break ribs and collarbones and such.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

travis642Apr-20-07 02:05 PM
Member since Mar 25th 2007
58 posts,
#102378, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 11
Apr-20-07 02:07 PM by travis642

OUCH!!! That dosen't sound good, but true... I have a junk talon if you want the stuff to put the airbags back in.

So to reply to the Topic: The safe way to 'remove' an airbag, is not to.(Unless you got that sweet dragster pullin 10's.)

travis642Apr-19-07 04:57 PM
Member since Mar 25th 2007
58 posts,
#102379, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by xcasbonx
Personally, I wouldn't remove them unless you're planning to turn it into a drag car or some type of race car. You never know it could save your life one day with the combination of a seatbelt also. My $.02 from a safety standpoint.

+1!
You pulled the air bag, i realize it didnt work, to JB weld the cover in the hole? Now thats custom to the max.

420aSebringApr-20-07 02:56 PM
60 posts,
#102380, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 9

I'll get a 4 point harness then.

"ex-ATX"

totaleclipse_05Apr-20-07 09:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#102381, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 13

I'll get a 4 point harness then.

Going to need a harness bar as well. Just put the air-bags back in if it isn't a full-out drag car IMO.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

foggy45Apr-21-07 02:17 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#102382, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 14

hmmm
you should put a sticker warning passengers of the lack of airbag (dont want you to get sued)
or

easy custom + airbag
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-LEGACY-MOMO-SRS-AIRBAG-STEERING-WHEEL-IMPREZA-ST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ006QQitemZ160107177900QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05-MITSUBISHI-EVO-EVOLUTION-TURBO-MOMO-D-AIRBAG-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33719QQihZ011QQitemZ320105657540QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

420aSebringApr-21-07 03:41 AM
60 posts,
#102383, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
Apr-21-07 03:49 AM by 420aSebring

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Originally posted by 420aSebring I'll get a 4 point harness then.
Going to need a harness bar as well. Just put the air-bags back in if it isn't a full-out drag car IMO.

I'm cool with that, 4 point harnesses are proven safer than 3 point with airbags anyways. I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of generation 1 airbags. I don't like the idea of 11 year old airbags with their 11 year old powder/dust punching me in the face, especially if they deploy when they are not supposed to. They are staying out and the car is getting 4 point harnesses and a easier to turn aftermarket steering wheel. This is going to be an auto crossing car, I'm going to need something to keep me planted in my seat.

"ex-ATX"

totaleclipse_05Apr-21-07 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#102384, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 16

especially if they deploy when they are not supposed to.

How are they suppose to do that?

Mike D

420aSebringApr-21-07 07:03 AM
60 posts,
#102385, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 18

Wow this thread won't die lol, there has been cases where the airbag controller malfunctioned and deployed for no reason. I appreciate everyone's concern but the airbags are staying out, a 4 point harness will be installed.

"ex-ATX"

RoninEclipse2GApr-21-07 07:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102386, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 19

I appreciate everyone's concern but the airbags are staying out, a 4 point harness will be installed.

just keep it tight!

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

RoninEclipse2GApr-21-07 04:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102387, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Originally posted by 420aSebring I'll get a 4 point harness then.

you can attach some retainer brackets to the framing just behind the rear seat and run them to there, it's a reinforced location and the harnesses would just disappear into the crease between the seatback and lower cushion. I'm personally trying to find a way to keep the passenger airbag functional while removing the driver airbag so that I can do this setup and keep a spot in the back seat for my little girl, then once she's old enough to sit in the front the back seat's getting torn out completely!

Erik P.

muscle_mitsuApr-21-07 10:18 AM
Member since Oct 17th 2006
71 posts,
#102388, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 17

why glue the cover back in? at least make a 2nd glove box out of it, then at least it'd be functional.

1995 eclipse, dropped--1981 camaro z28, 360hp

RoninEclipse2GApr-21-07 10:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102389, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by muscle_mitsu
why glue the cover back in? at least make a 2nd glove box out of it, then at least it'd be functional.

good idea!

Erik P.

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-21-07 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#102390, "RE: Airbag removal safety?"
In response to Reply # 22

This thread has been beaten to death. Let the man make his own decision.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102367 Previous topic | Next topic