Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #92312
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question for Fiberglass Experts" Search result list | First match | Last match
ModeratorCorbinFeb-04-06 03:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92312, "Question for Fiberglass Experts"

Let's suppose that I wanted to create a custom bumper with a somewhat stock appearance, but with unique forms molded in. Let's also suppose that I am too cheap and demanding to simply hand a design to a custom fabricator. If I took my time with cutting up the stock urethane bumper and created my forms with foam and cardboard, could I safely lay fiberglass over the entire bumper? I will prep the bumper of course. I plan to lay the initial outer layer with the bumper on the car, then carefully remove it (for alignment). Then add another layer front, two back, and around all edges. Aside from the fact that my finished bumper will have increased slightly in dimension, is there any reason this will fail? I figure it's like a surfboard. You just glass around a core. The fiberglass is strong in tension, so it only needs to be on the surface. The core does not have to be ridgid, just keep the surface layer from collapsing. Once I have a continuous layer of fiberglass on the bumper, I am free to add more glass or thin layers of fiber-reinforced body filler, correct? Worst case scenario, the fiberglass delaminates from the urethane. The urethane is encapsulated, so it will not form a visible crack or allow water to penetrate, right? Am I crazy?

PS: I already took a jig-saw to my bumper tonight!

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-05-06 03:18 AM, #1
RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, DJ420a, Feb-05-06 03:26 PM, #2
      RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-05-06 03:58 PM, #3
           RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, DJ420a, Feb-05-06 04:28 PM, #4
                RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, ez, Feb-16-06 12:56 PM, #5
                     RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, madhatter210, Feb-16-06 02:11 PM, #6
                          RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-17-06 01:09 AM, #7

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-05-06 03:18 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92316, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Corbin
Let's suppose that I wanted to create a custom bumper with a somewhat stock appearance, but with unique forms molded in. Let's also suppose that I am too cheap and demanding to simply hand a design to a custom fabricator. If I took my time with cutting up the stock urethane bumper and created my forms with foam and cardboard, could I safely lay fiberglass over the entire bumper? I will prep the bumper of course. I plan to lay the initial outer layer with the bumper on the car, then carefully remove it (for alignment). Then add another layer front, two back, and around all edges. Aside from the fact that my finished bumper will have increased slightly in dimension, is there any reason this will fail? I figure it's like a surfboard. You just glass around a core. The fiberglass is strong in tension, so it only needs to be on the surface. The core does not have to be ridgid, just keep the surface layer from collapsing. Once I have a continuous layer of fiberglass on the bumper, I am free to add more glass or thin layers of fiber-reinforced body filler, correct? Worst case scenario, the fiberglass delaminates from the urethane. The urethane is encapsulated, so it will not form a visible crack or allow water to penetrate, right? Am I crazy? PS: I already took a jig-saw to my bumper tonight! Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Corbin, your not crazy at all.

But your going to run into one problem. Fiberglass resin will not stick to urethane good at all. It will stick for awhile but eventually as it sees some weather changes (heat) it will peel or crack right off. Your best bet would be to do this.

Make what you want the bumper to look like from your factory urethane bumper and foam or what not and then get some mold release agent. You can actually find it on ebay for pretty cheap. Apply thick coats of this shit across everything. Get some medium duty fiberglass chop matt, maybe some 8oz, and apply a layer to the outside of your bumper. When this is fully hard, apply a thin layer of Duraglass body filler over that. The Duraglass will help make sure your mold does not shrink when you pull it off. Then when that Duraglass is fully cured, peel your mold off. Scuff up the Duraglass and I would personally add about 6 layers of 12oz matting to make it super ass hard, then instead of using body filler to make it smooth, get some gel coat and spray it over the whole bumper which then you wont even have to do any sanding.

You are in for a huge project and and a lot of time and money. Not too mention, your new bumper is going to weigh A TON!

Good Luck

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DJ420aFeb-05-06 03:26 PM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#92323, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-05-06 03:27 PM by DJ420a

I agree with eclipse982nrRST to a certian extent..

This is the way I would do it.

Like eclipse982nrRST said, get some PVA and put atleast 3-4 coats on your (clean) bumper. You can actually brush this stuff on. Just to inform you, this stuff is water soluable, so dont get it wet.

Now this is where it gets different.

Get some gelcoat, enough to do atleast 3 coats, I wouldnt do anymore than 4. If your wise, you will get something lite, like white since your bumper is a dark color. Just make sure you get everything nice and covered. You need to wait inbetween coats atleast long enough for the gelcoat to tack up. Then I would atleast let the coats of gelcoat cure for atleast 12hrs depending on the temp its sitting in. The colder of course you want it to cure a lil longer. This stuff cleans up with Acetone.

Then get some chopped mat and put atleast 3-4 coats on top of the gel coat. Just like the gelcoat you want to wait inbetween coats for it to tack. You also want to wait a little longer because resin warms up and actually gets hot, so if you pile a bunch on, it will warp and deform your gelcoat. Also, while your laying the mat, becareful of air bubble, ecspecially the first coat. If you get an airbubble in there, there is a chance it will cause a brittle spot in your gelcoat. Just take your time. Id let that cure as long as you cured the gelcoat. This also cleans up with Acetone.

After thats cured, then peel your bumper out. If you find any imperfections you can wet sand them out with 400 grit and refill with gelcoat and wetsand that smooth 400 grit and finish off with 1000 grit.

After you have your mold the way you want it, go out and buy yourself a can of bees wax. Its in the same kind of can you would find turtle wax. I would wax the mold atleast 5 times. You dont want to do all the coats at once. I would do a coat, then wait an hour. The idea is letting the wax soak into the gelcoat. So the longer you wait between coats, the better.

Now that you have it nice and waxed, go ahead and brush some PVA on the mold. You prolly want atleast 3 coats. After the PVA has dried, it is the same process as making your mold.
1. Gelcoat
2. Fiberglass, how man layers is up to you

Peel it out of your mold and your ready to go. Now to make a modified bumper, you can do it 2 ways.

The way I just described and when you pull the fiberglass bumper you made, you modify that, then do the whole process over again. Then you'll have 2 molds, so you can change design when ever you want.

Or modify your stock bumper first, then make your mold.

Your best bet if your going to use foam, is use the stuff in the cans that you use for insulation or use that fiberglass board that you use for insulating walls. Ive found that the resin and gelcoat will melt your normal styrofoam.

You can use this process to make anything. Of course it might be wise to start with something simple then move up the more advanced you get.

This process also holds true when fabricating anything out of Carbon Fiber. The only process you change, is replacing the fiberglass with CF and using clear gelcoat instead of colored. The best gelcoat I have found to use, is the same that is use for surfboards.

Good luck Corbin, just remember to take your time and think things through.

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-05-06 03:58 PM
6314 posts,
#92324, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 2

Only problem with gel coating first, especially over a release agent is it will run VERY easy and not be the same thickness everywhere. I have tried this with making several sub box enclosure molds, just doesnt work as a first mold.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

DJ420aFeb-05-06 04:28 PM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#92325, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 3

Huh, never had that problem....

ezFeb-16-06 12:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#92486, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 4

Corbin, I'm actually doing the same thing, but I bought an extra bumper from a local 2gnter to work on. It's been in the backyard for a while, but now I'm getting back into it. When I'm ready to make the mold, I'm going to mount it on the car too so that the shape stays true.

The key is to find a material that shapes well on top of your bumper. After trying everything from putty to clay and aluminum siding, I finally found an excellent media - it is artisitic wire mesh. You can bend it however you want and it remains in that shape. I'm going to put fiberglass over the old bumper/wire mesh to make the mold.

My issue is this, and Corbin I'd like to hear your feedback on it - how are you making the part of the bumper that raps into the wheel wells? To make a bumper with this back part, I may have to make a 3-piece mold. (unless I make the fiberglass very thin and flexible, he he, so I can actually get it out of a one piece mold)

Question for you other guys - where did you get that gelcoat, PVA, and wax (exact names of the manufacturers and source). I used to surf over at fiberglast.com (Excellent info there) and was contemplating buying their stuff - however there products might be overkill for my one bumper.

madhatter210Feb-16-06 02:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
#92490, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 5

I buy all my goods from here....a great company to order from and they ship very fast. I think dj, myself and a few others use them also.
http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

eclipse982nrRSTFeb-17-06 01:09 AM
6314 posts,
#92499, "RE: Question for Fiberglass Experts"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by madhatter210
http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html

That is a great company there. I have bought a couple things from them and yes their shipping is really fast.

Another place to check is a local boat supply shop. I always check their before the net. I get my release agent and gel coat from the boat shop always, boat stores are usually really cheap too!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #92312Search result list | First match | Last match