Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #33507
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dash Removal Write Up" Search result list | First match | Last match
mitiftoNov-01-02 11:08 AM
Member since Jul 20th 2002
906 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33507, "Dash Removal Write Up"

Who knows where I can find a write up or something else on how to remove the dashboard from a 97 eclipse. Thanx

Your Garage is not worthy
For the Masterpiece you built
That only looks like it cost a Fortune
While most flaunt their cars by going fast
You show off Standing Still

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SPL_EclipseNov-01-02 11:48 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33508, "RE: Dash Removal Write Up"
In response to Reply # 0

"Ok, its not hard at all.
Im going to write this assuming that you havent ever taken a single piece of dash out of your car.
Ok, First things first....
1. Remove the positive from your battery (So your airbags dont deploy when you disconnect them.
2. Get a bunch of little plastic bags, and put tape on them, then you can label them and put each screw where it belongs, to keep you organized!
3. You will need to remove almost all your interior pieces in the front in order to take your dash off, so I would start with the center console. On each side, near the back there will be a screw, unscrew those. Next you will have to take the cupholder/ashtray piece out, its easy, just grab its edges and give it a tug. Under there you will find two more screws. Unscrew those to. Then the panel around your heating and ac controls. Give that a tug and it should pop right out. There are two more screws there. Unscrew your shift know, and pull up. Dont pull up all the way, just enough to see behind it, you will have 3 wires going into your ciggerette lighter, 2 pull out. The other is the light, just twist it and pull. (Oh there is another one of those lights in the hole where the ashtray was, twist that one out too. Now you can safely pull out your center console.
4. Now you have your Side pieces around your console. There will be one screw all the way down by where your feet are on both sides, then there will be a screw hidden behind a circle about halfway back. Pop that off with a flathead screwdriver and unscrew that, the other part holding it is a snap, that snaps in right about where your ashtray was. Give that a tug and pull it out.
5. Look down by your feet. There are some kick boards down there by the doors, if you want to paint these too, take em out. (I painted it all at once, much easier) There is a screw that holds both the running board under your door, and the kick plate. Unscrew that, and you can now pull your running board up. It is held in by snaps, so just give it a tug and it will come up. The other part of the kickboard is held in by a plastic screw, take a flathead and unscrew that and it will come out.
6. Now under your steering column, you have a piece of dash there that has to come out. Just start popping out the plastic rectangles and you will find bolts, unbolt those and pull it off. On the passenger side do the same thing next to the glove box. With the glove box, you will need to open it up, there are 2 stoppers on the side, holding it from it falling completely down, push downward on those and pull them in the dash. Now your dash will drop all the way down(make sure you have all your sh*t out of it first!) Now there will be two screws on the hinge, unscrew them but be careful not to just let it hang on one screw or you could break a hinge.
7. Now you will need to take off your steering wheel airbag. There should be four bolts on the backside of your steering wheel that you need to take off, unbolt those and pull your airbag out, its connected by 2 wires, (make sure your battery is disconnected!) disconnect those wires, and your airbag is out, now there are 3 screws underneath your wheel that will pull off the plastic cover behind it. Unscrew those. Your Steering wheel should have One very large bolt in the center. Unbolt it(it may be kind tough) Once its unbolted , pull on your steering wheel HARD, it may seem like it doesnt want to come off, but it will.
8. Now there are 2 screws in trim around your guages, unscrew those and pop out the trim. There will be four screws holding it into place. unscrew those and pull the whole assembly out.

9. Next go to your cd player and there should be something like 4 screws holding that in, now you will have to pull those wires, now you are ready to take out the dash. (WHAT WERE JUST GETTING TO THE DASH!!! =P )

10. There will be 2 bolts right where your guage assembly was, and two on each side, on the sides right below where your cd player was. There should be two below where your glove box was, and another one on each side at the top under your tweeters. If you dont have tweeters there, there will be two circle pieces on each side of your airvents right under your windshield. Pry those up and unbolt them. Those are kind of a pain in the a$$ to get to. Once those are up I believe that is it. You will need to get someone to help you to pull the dash out, Especially the side with the airbag will be a little heavier. If I missed a bolt (I think I got them all) You will notice where its being held down, just track it down and unbolt it. Pull your dash out about six inches and find a comfortable place to rest it. There should be - depending on whether you have an RS or whatever, a few wiring harnesses holding it back, one for the airbag. Switch the little green thing up, and pull the two red parts apart. 2 under your heating and AC, and 2 or three all the way by the door on the drivers side. Unhook all of those and pull out your dash.
11. When you get it out, flip it over, there should be 2 bolts, and two screws holding your airbag in place, undo those and pull out your airbag. If you want to paint the vents at the top a diff color, then you should unscrew the whole duct system for the ac and heat. Its not hard, there are 2 screws on each end and two in the middle, for the upper part, and down lower there should be one or two on each end and one more in the middle, pull that out, and push on the vents where the tabs are. Then it will pop out easily.
12. Paint AWAY!!!!"

this is not my write up, it was written by USAF96. didnt you ask this same queation a few weeks ago?

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mitiftoNov-02-02 07:40 AM
Member since Jul 20th 2002
906 posts,
#33509, "RE: Dash Removal Write Up"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanx for all the help and the wrtie up. The web site wasen't responding so I couldn't get to it and I was going to take out the windshield to paint the dash. Thanx again.

www.cardomain.com/id/mitifto

Your Garage is not worthy
For the Masterpiece you built
That only looks like it cost a Fortune
While most flaunt their cars by going fast
You show off Standing Still

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #33507Search result list | First match | Last match