Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8486
View in linear mode

Subject: "2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..." Previous topic | Next topic
NHH223Apr-21-09 09:10 AM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8486, "2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."

Alright, most people don't know me here, so this is kinda a general post/introduction and question to anyone. I'll start with the history of my money, my car, and my future, for both.

I bought my '95 GS-T 5-sp with 119XXX miles on it. It wasn't running due to a bad TPS. TPS turned out to be a un-tensioned t-belt, crappy coil-overs ($40 off ebay), a ridiculous wing, not running for 2 yrs in the New England weathers (cold winters!) and then plugs and wires were also shot too, along with the stock 2G bov having a crack on itself, and the nipple for the vaccum line breaking off.

The car has a Clutch Masters Stage 3 with aluminum fly-wheel, Injen intake and tokico non-adj. After I did the timing belt, battery, oil change, TPS, Mag 8.5mm wires and NGK 7es plugs, Apex'i BOV and UIP she was running good and I failed my state inspection due to 1) ball joint and 2) emissions. Here's where it gets good.

In Dec, I left my job at a local pizza shop due to a lot of crap. Medical, absences, and lack of benefits. My car as of now, is still "R" rejected for emissions. I have no cash to pay for anything. I failed for running rich, and am in search of stock 2G pipes and BOV so I can re-cirrculate for the day of the inspection. I also have a stock cat to install, and am in need of 4 new tires and another ball-joint, maybe more.

I was offered a job that will pay around $50k a year, so I am going for that. My concern is the money for my car, and how I can get it settled. If I get $50k/yr I am going to buy a daily driver, mainly an STi (AWD for NE winters) and then garage my GS-T. Granted I get it the sticker for emissions, what should I do to modify it? I'm going to fix everything wrong with it for now, from the guage cluster being inaccurate, the leaking sunroof, and the holes in the hatch from the ebay wing being drilled on it.

This job doesn't start for another couple weeks, but I am in debt now! Maybe some of you know how to be living poor? Esp. with a DSM, it sucks! I want to know what some of you guys think I should do with my DSM in the future, interior/exterior, engine/performance, and handling.

And also, is it dumb to turn my $3200 10yr old car into a street racer (I wanna destroy V8s and SRT-4s), and buy a $32,000 daily driver?

Let me know, if I posted this in the wrong forum, let me know and then delete it. I'm sorry it's so LONG but no one really knows me, and I just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. Thanks, Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Vandy420a, Apr-28-05 07:28 PM, #1
RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., NHH223, Apr-28-05 09:33 PM, #2
      RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., a_miller_76, Apr-29-05 01:32 AM, #3
           RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Diceman19, Apr-29-05 04:09 AM, #4
                RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., a_miller_76, Apr-29-05 04:47 AM, #5
                RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., HybriDSM, Apr-29-05 04:54 AM, #6
                     RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Vandy420a, Apr-29-05 05:15 AM, #7
                          RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., 97eclipse97, Apr-29-05 06:02 AM, #8
                          RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., EvMan2345, Apr-29-05 06:05 AM, #9
                               RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-29-05 07:40 AM, #10
                                    RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Ducking_Fumbass, Apr-29-05 09:59 AM, #11
                                    RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-29-05 07:32 PM, #12
                                    RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., NHH223, Apr-29-05 07:39 PM, #13
                                         RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Diceman19, Apr-30-05 04:03 AM, #14
                                              RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., RST95eclipse, Apr-30-05 07:23 AM, #15
                                                   RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., bigmcell, Apr-30-05 10:43 AM, #16
                                                        RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Hult250R, Apr-30-05 02:55 PM, #17
                                                             RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., NHH223, Apr-30-05 07:13 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., BRU_ce, Apr-30-05 10:25 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., a_miller_76, May-01-05 02:07 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., NHH223, May-01-05 08:11 AM, #21
                                                                                 RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., HybriDSM, May-01-05 08:28 AM, #22
                                                                                 RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Hult250R, May-01-05 11:25 AM, #24
                                                                                 RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., RST95eclipse, May-01-05 08:37 AM, #23
                                                                                      RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., a_miller_76, May-01-05 12:32 PM, #25
                                                                                           RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., RST95eclipse, May-01-05 03:55 PM, #26
                                                                                                RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., a_miller_76, May-01-05 04:32 PM, #27
                                                                                                RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., HybriDSM, May-01-05 06:02 PM, #28
                                                                                                     RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., RST95eclipse, May-02-05 02:51 PM, #29
RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., NHH223, May-20-05 08:15 PM, #30
RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., RST95eclipse, May-22-05 01:15 PM, #31
      RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., NHH223, May-23-05 07:33 PM, #32
RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..., Tguy, Apr-01-10 04:21 PM, #33

Vandy420aApr-28-05 07:28 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8487, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by NHH223
And also, is it dumb to turn my $3200 10yr old car into a street racer (I wanna destroy V8s and SRT-4s), and buy a $32,000 daily driver?

Yes. Make the GS-T reliable and use the STI as a V8 Killer. Or, dare I say it, sell the GST and buy a camry or something cheap/reliable for daily driving. FWD severely limits your ability to run with ponycars. An evo, on the other hand...

Also, I'm not sure how you're running well in the first place w/o recirculating, but you NEED to do that. See sig quote below. Some may say otherwise, but its just not worth it. Get a 1g BOV, crush it, and be done with it. If you MUST recirculate, you won't pass emissions unless you get a GM MAFT (I think, but i'm not sure on that. Its just not worth it.)

You really should read up on VFAQ.com, the 2g upgrade path has been done many many times before. Otherwise, welcome to the site!

matt

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NHH223Apr-28-05 09:33 PM
161 posts,
#8488, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 1

Well, I have a few lame logical reasons to race the GS-T and daily drive the STi.

1) AWD is KEY in New England Winters
2) It is new, and will not break every other week
3) Gas mileage seems great with the 6th gear (sink it in 6th at 35mph, LOL)
4) It is new, Subaru, (im a Mitsu guy) and I don't wanna break shit modifying it
5) 4 doors = driving friends around, not racing
6) An EVO 8 is Mitsu, I'm kinda tired of Mitsus (2nd Eclipse)
7) It's good enough so I won't modify 2 cars at once (big no-no) and has the iron-tough stuff like AWD, 4 doors, trunk space, and visibility (when you're 5'5" sitting all the way back in an Eclipse, you can't see sh!t!)

GS-T wise...

1) I have put too much money and work just to get rid of it
2) It is my race car, LOL
3) I love Eclipses as racers
4) FWD = Challenge
5) My GS shoulda been my racer, but now the GS-T is

Oh, I know of 3 ways to fix venting

1) don't (HKS, Greddy, Stock, 1G re-cirrculate it)
2) Apex'i S-AFC II (controls de-acceleration A/F)
3) GM MAF

If I get the sticker with the stock 2G BOV, I wanna throw the GS-T in my garage, get the S-AFC II and every other Eclipse part KNOWN TO MAN and get that thing on the road fully modded in a couple months. Granted I get this $50k/yr job. My path of mods is kinda laid out in front of me, but a question for help is...

Do I modify exhaust, suspension, int/ext, then go to the turbo work?
If I upgrade my turbo, I'd prefer to rebuild my engine and of course the trans that pops out of reverse at the same time, which would be a $10,000 project, which I would chip away at for about 6 months. Should I support the suspension and dashing good looks of my car? Or dive into the engine work? Thanks, Nick

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

a_miller_76Apr-29-05 01:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8489, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-29-05 01:34 AM by a_miller_76

Don't buy an Evo or STI. Mod your GST for racing and buy something like a used Legacy Wagon or something. Don't spend $32000 on a daily driver. Mod the GST, buy a reliable cheap used AWD car, and read this site. www.vfaq.com

Diceman19Apr-29-05 04:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#8490, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 3

and recirculate your bov unless you get the maft. until then, there will be a lot of frowns towards you from this section.

a_miller_76Apr-29-05 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8491, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Diceman19
and recirculate your bov unless you get the maft. until then, there will be a lot of frowns towards you from this section.

This can't be said enough.

HybriDSMApr-29-05 04:54 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#8492, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-29-05 04:56 AM by HybriDSM

While I certainly would think making the AWD car the race car is a more cost effective pursuit, I certainly will not tell you to change your plans. Just be aware that making your FWD car you V-8 killer will mean a considerable amount of money into an LSD as well as a lot of tires (slicks/radials, street tires and lots of them).

Generally, it's just alot more bang for your buck to get the AWD and kill V-8's with that, but you can certainly beat up on the big boys with a well driven and modded FWD too. It's just alot more labor and wheel time to get it down right.

As far as venting, stop. Please. Recirculate your BOV back into the intake. Or buy the GM MAF/MAFT and set it up blow through style. Please don't leave it vented. I cannot stress this enough. There are absolutely zero reasonable reasons to vent with a stock MAS. None.

As far as mod paths to take:

First, read vfaq.com until your eyes bleed.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/2gturbo/
http://www.machv.com/goinfasenand.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/2gturbo/suspension.php (Handling)

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Vandy420aApr-29-05 05:15 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8493, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 6

An SAFC-II will not enable you to vent

P.S.--I'm FWD too and I regret not just shelling out for AWD pretty much every day.

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

97eclipse97Apr-29-05 06:02 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#8494, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 7

Well im not going to yell at you about venting, since its been done enough, however, i will offer you this:

I just got my 95 gsx. to start, the suspension was shot, so i got prokits with kyb agx's. My clutch is just about all done, so im getting an act 2600 with a streetlite flywheel. (im also replacing all belts and tensioners, including timing, replacing water pump, plugs, etc) i also have a walbro 255 that i will install soon

after this, im getting a 1g crushed and a new boost gauge, egt gauge, and mbc. then probably a turbo back exhaust, down pipe, o2 sensor, and a k&n fipk, followed by a fmic. sometime during this, i will get a laptop and dsmlink, and a safc.

then finally i will get some 660's and a ported evo III

this is my daily driver, so no huge turbo yet...but it will come...

hope this helps

EvMan2345Apr-29-05 06:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#8495, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 7

LOL- on the other boards, we used to hear "sell it and buy a turbo" now here in the turbo section we hear "sell it and buy an AWD"...

but anyways- yea, i had AWD (90 GSX) and i loved it. While others were still spinning, i was gone. I loved it- even the new england winters (i live in CT) my car was unstoppable in the snow. Nothing stood in my way. Get the kinks worked out when you get some money- recirculate the BOV like the others said- and good luck with emissions...

Evan B
97 GS- FOR SALE
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-29-05 07:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8496, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 9

I have a complete set of stock IC "pipes" including a "good" (lol) 2G BOV. I have the recirc pipe also around here somewhere. PM me if you need it.
I'm in NE also so if you wanted, you can come get it or meet me or whatever...
I can also show you how much fun a modded FWD car is so you can tell those guys up there ^^^ to go to hell.
The only time I REALLY wish I had AWD is when it rains or snows.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Ducking_FumbassApr-29-05 09:59 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#8497, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 10

It's not like you could break a bicycle tire loose with your automatic, Tony.

Just kidding...

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-29-05 07:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8498, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 11

fuck off willy.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

NHH223Apr-29-05 07:39 PM
161 posts,
#8499, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 10

Damn, thank you all for the welcome. Yes, I do understand that my BOV NEEDS to be re-circ, but here's the thing. When I went to Japan to take care of family business, EVERY CAR had HKS or Apex'i BOVs. I saw R-34s, Supras, a few Eclipse "GT"s which are GSX's with a different badge (imported from the U.S.) and lots of other sweet rides. I got the Apex'i, cuz EVERYONE has a Greddy Type-S. Like, ANYONE who has turbo, has greddy, and I was like "I'm going to be wicked Japanese on this one, and buy the ONLY bov you can't re-circ, hahah.

To the best of my knowledge and re-search, the S-AFC II has a function for de-acceleration A/F, which you can lean it up a bit. I don't know if it would work on a T4 turbo throwing down 26psi and stop the stalling issue.

For the STi, if I get the job, I get the car. It's more than just another car for me. I'm not going to college, my parents hate me, my sister throws everything in my face. It'd be a lot of pride to drive a BRAND NEW car home... we've had the following cars...

'98 Jeep used
'98 Bug used
'98 Bug 5-sp (my sis's... used)
'95 GS-T (used of course)
'95 GS used
'92 corolla (bought NEW has 287,XXX miles on orig. CLUTCH!)
'92 Plymouth Colt (4g63t swap anyone? LOL)

Like, getting a spanking new car will show my parents that college wasn't for me, I did get a job that pays good, and I can support myself and do what I want.

What's a GM MAF? what do they cost around, and can anyone help me with the setup if my tax return check gets here in 2 weeks? I know what I need to pass inspection, I can get the parts, Just need the money.

Well, thanks everyone. I know you've all referenced sites for my MOD path, but I wanted personal crap, like what turbo I should go for, if I should get a 16G turbo and run it on low boost threw my side-mount or do it all at once, ya know? Thanks guys, Nick

Diceman19Apr-30-05 04:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#8500, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by NHH223
Damn, thank you all for the welcome. Yes, I do understand that my BOV NEEDS to be re-circ, but here's the thing. When I went to Japan to take care of family business, EVERY CAR had HKS or Apex'i BOVs. I saw R-34s, Supras, a few Eclipse "GT"s which are GSX's with a different badge (imported from the U.S.) and lots of other sweet rides. I got the Apex'i, cuz EVERYONE has a Greddy Type-S. Like, ANYONE who has turbo, has greddy, and I was like "I'm going to be wicked Japanese on this one, and buy the ONLY bov you can't re-circ, hahah.

alright, stop right there. you bought a BOV because of what some guys in japan have? you bought it because everyone over there has one. sell it and buy one that you can recirc. i am not freakin kidding. i dont care if everyone over there has one. your post made absolutely no sense as far as why you are doing it. you basically said you are doing it because everyone else is. stupid.

as far as buying a new car, for what? just to show off to your parents. that is the dumbest reason to buy a car EVER. DO NOT purchase that car, it will be the biggest mistake of your life.

this is harsh, but maybe you need to sit down and reflect a little more on why you do things. it seems that you just want to show off or be part of the "in" crowd. that isnt gonna get you anywhere is this world. take notes young grasshoppa.

RST95eclipseApr-30-05 07:23 AM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#8501, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 14

Just buy a Ford Taurus. It has 4 doors, reliable, cheap. As for your BOV, why did you pick that BOV? Greddy is perfect for your needs. Strong and designed for the purpose the car needs. I looks like you weren't aware that the car needs to be re-circed. As for your turbo, you need to reflect on what you want out of the car. Obviously the 16g is great for daily driving. If you want just straight power, 20g is definately soemthing to look into. You could get really serious and go with a GT series. I know you're on a tight budget, if you weren't you'd have DSMLink, wideband, etc. Stay with what you have and make it work. Happy you aren't posting this on chi-eclipse? Like I said, much more help here.

bigmcellApr-30-05 10:43 AM
Member since Nov 24th 2003
306 posts,
#8502, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 15
Apr-30-05 10:44 AM by bigmcell

ok heres my claims bro:

1) u bought a blow off valve for a sound that u liked in japan. u do realize those "not recirc'd" cars over there were built/tuned/modified for non recirc and proly dumped a ton of cash into it to make it run proper. u can do it, but its pointless when all it is a sound. get an external wastegate, that adds some sound for the riced out bov tendencies....

2) the STI... if u buy an STI the only reason to buy an STI is to mod/race it. im sorry but for daily driving dont spend 32000. if u want AWD for winter, but a new truck, buy a new/used WRX... but buying a 30k vehicle is just dumb for a daily driver... whats wrong with a WRX.. u can get a 2002 with 30k on it for like $14k.... imo thatd be better...

3) as for racing ur fwd eclipse. GO FOR IT, buy a reliable daily driver *(see above) and then mod ur eclipse. and when/if u realize u want an awd racer, u can sell ur gst. buy a new daily driver and mod ur WRX...

^^^ All seem more practical than ur posts. (sorry not trying to hate)

been awhile.

Hult250RApr-30-05 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#8503, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by bigmcell
2) the STI... if u buy an STI the only reason to buy an STI is to mod/race it. im sorry but for daily driving dont spend 32000. if u want AWD for winter, but a new truck, buy a new/used WRX... but buying a 30k vehicle is just dumb for a daily driver... whats wrong with a WRX.. u can get a 2002 with 30k on it for like $14k.... imo thatd be better...

IMO it would make more sense to buy an STI (A used one probably) mod the piss out of it, race it. And use the Eclipse as your daily driver. Just my $0.02

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

NHH223Apr-30-05 07:13 PM
161 posts,
#8504, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 17

Alright. Let's get something straight. I'm 50% Japanese. That means 50% of me has the tendancy to do up the Japanese stuff.

I know my car shouldn't be vented, but, damn I do like the sound of it. I'm going to go to stock 2G bov from whoever has one to donate, until I get the GM MAF or something else that works. As far as the STi, I'm gonna think long and hard about it. When I get the cash, and capability to get the loan, I'll really think about it. As far as my rules for daily driver go...

1) MUST be a Japanese car!
2) MUST have AWD
3) reliability is KEY
4) 4 doors is preferred
5) must have decent power

My Parental/Family issues. Alright, maybe I said that they are why I'm getting a new car, but I've always dealt with loans, break-downs, repairs, and un-reliability with pretty much every car in my driveway. My mom's 98 Bug has no problems, but I don't even drive it. I'd say it's more or less self pride. I want to move out of my house, get an apartment, get the STi, and make the $50k/yr I should be earning. A new car would just be so much better. If it doesn't destroy me in debt, then I think I should get it. I want to disconnect from the crutch called my family, and just, be myself, by myself, away from my family.

As to being in the "in" crowd and doing what everyone else does. Not really. How many Jamericapaneseans do you know that shoot M-16s for fun, play Counter-Strike, drive a Copper GS-T, listen to Heavy Metal, and know just about every Metallica song on guitar? I am a very unique and to most people a deranged and crazy Japanese kid. Oh, and if money allows, I smoke Salem Black Label Full Flavor cigs, they have ASIAN menthol in them! But I'm poor, and need Reds for now, hahah.

Really, I'm different from a lot of people. In my small town I'm the only Japanese kid and only Japanese family around or to the best of my knowledge. I came here, for you guys to help me out, to help me figure it all out. There's a 450RWHP 66 Vette right around the corner from me, and I wanna someday throwdown and wreck him at NE Dragway.

They say 4 cylinders isn't big enough. A short shifter is a waste of money. A turbo doesn't do crap, FWD sucks, and that when you're running a V-8 nothing can touch you... WRONG!

I'm here to prove alot of people wrong about myself, my abilities, and the potential of Jamaericapanesean cars.

Jamericapanesean (Japanese + American)

noun: defined as any one person or thing created in America with parts or genetic material imported directly from Japan.

adjective: anything which is part Japanese and part American, also "hoppa" and Japanese-American

BRU_ceApr-30-05 10:25 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
1457 posts,
#8505, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 18

Dude, you're fuckin' crazy. I can so tell you're asian by the way you talk.

Sell it and buy a GSX.

Oh no! My sig died! I'll get another one.
Member and Co-Founder of FLDSM

a_miller_76May-01-05 02:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8506, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 19

Well, in japan they paint Anime characters on their car, make huge custom body kits that look like sword blades, and put exhaust pipes that stick 5 feet straight up out of the back of their car. So you gonna do that shit?

Don't gimme this "I'm half asian so I have to do what japanese kids do". If you want to be an atmospherically vented ricer then get a GM MAFT and blast an HKS SSQV BOV all day long. At least do it the right fucking way. Anything else is gay. You're in the US, you will get laughed at here for doing it.

NHH223May-01-05 08:11 AM
161 posts,
#8507, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 20

Alright. Help me out with this GM MAF.

What do I need? There is the GM MAF sensor, and then the translator? Every site I go to just says the same crap, which is "can be used on 1G Eclipse... bigger..." That's all I get out of it. Help me with this set-up and tell me why an S-AFC II cannot control atmospheric venting...

HybriDSMMay-01-05 08:28 AM
2407 posts,
#8508, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 21
May-01-05 08:45 AM by HybriDSM

Any time the MAS is in front of the BOV, air is counted, which in turn, if it leaves the system (venting to atmosphere) means that counted air and the associated level of fuel provided by the ECU makes the car run extremely rich when the BOV opens and allows air out. That is how it works. The MAS counts air and when some of that air is lost, the ECU simply cannot figure that out and still adds the massive amount fo fuel for that air amount.

An AFC cannot indiscriminately be used to pull out fuel for "letting off the trottle" and for the throttle plate closing between shifts. It does not work that way. It's hard enough to tune a DSm as it is, so trying to use an AFC to tune for power and to pull fuel out at exact RPM ranges when you think you's "let off the gas" or when you'd shift is just impossible. You never know the exact RPM when you'd be closing the throttle plate (unless you are some kind of cyborg driving machine) so tuning for what you're trying to accomplish would be basically impossible.

The only way a DSM can vent appropriately is by converting to a MAP style system (VPC or full Standalone), or by putting the MAF after the BOV (GM MAF/MAFT). With a blow through style MAF set up, the ECU does not get input on how much air is coming into the intake manifold until after it has either gone past the BOV and either vented or not vented. Either way, the ECU is getting an accurate representation of the air amount. Simply put, an SAFC cannot fix the issue of venting, but a GM MAF and MAFT can. There are stockish pipes now that allow for a blow through MAF setup on the stock sidemount. Also, the GM MAF (3") flows about the same or maybe a hair more than the 2g MAS and the 3.5" one outflows it by a lot and really is unnecessary unless you are planning on making HUGE power numbers. The 3.75" LS6 MAF is for guys like Kurt Brown and John Shepherd.

Edit: See also http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=11905&mesg_id=11905&listing_type=search

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

Hult250RMay-01-05 11:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#8509, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by HybriDSM
Any time the MAS is in front of the BOV, air is counted, which in turn, if it leaves the system (venting to atmosphere) means that counted air and the associated level of fuel provided by the ECU makes the car run extremely rich when the BOV opens and allows air out. That is how it works. The MAS counts air and when some of that air is lost, the ECU simply cannot figure that out and still adds the massive amount fo fuel for that air amount. An AFC cannot indiscriminately be used to pull out fuel for "letting off the trottle" and for the throttle plate closing between shifts. It does not work that way. It's hard enough to tune a DSm as it is, so trying to use an AFC to tune for power and to pull fuel out at exact RPM ranges when you think you's "let off the gas" or when you'd shift is just impossible. You never know the exact RPM when you'd be closing the throttle plate (unless you are some kind of cyborg driving machine) so tuning for what you're trying to accomplish would be basically impossible. The only way a DSM can vent appropriately is by converting to a MAP style system (VPC or full Standalone), or by putting the MAF after the BOV (GM MAF/MAFT). With a blow through style MAF set up, the ECU does not get input on how much air is coming into the intake manifold until after it has either gone past the BOV and either vented or not vented. Either way, the ECU is getting an accurate representation of the air amount. Simply put, an SAFC cannot fix the issue of venting, but a GM MAF and MAFT can. There are stockish pipes now that allow for a blow through MAF setup on the stock sidemount. Also, the GM MAF (3") flows about the same or maybe a hair more than the 2g MAS and the 3.5" one outflows it by a lot and really is unnecessary unless you are planning on making HUGE power numbers. The 3.75" LS6 MAF is for guys like Kurt Brown and John Shepherd. Edit: See also http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=11905&mesg_id=11905&listing_type=search

Listen to what this wiseman says...
He knows whats up.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

RST95eclipseMay-01-05 08:37 AM
403 posts,
#8510, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 21

I also think you're crazy, but it can be done. You'll need to spend quite a bit, and then learn how to handle your car. If you want to run with that vette you need to dump the SAFC, get a GT series turbo, purchase slicks. Don't go the route that we've discussed before - forget about getting a 6 bolt and sink the money into your 7 bolt. BTW, you're running pig rich when you shift when venting atmospherically.

a_miller_76May-01-05 12:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8511, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 23

If you want a loud BOV sound get a hard intake pipe and a K&N FIPK...part of the reason you don't hear your BOV is there's a pipe inside your intake pipe which routes your BOV recirc way down into the intake track and muffles the shit out of it. That and the airbox takes out the rest of the noise. If you get a hard pipe and an open filter then put in a Greddy Type S (or the new RS) and recirculate it you'll still hear the sound but not screw up your AF ratio.

RST95eclipseMay-01-05 03:55 PM
403 posts,
#8512, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 25

God I love this forum.

Anyways, how do you hook up something to the Greddy RS to make it recirc? It has the blue aluminum piece that has holes in it. Take that off and fab up something that mates in with the thread that doesn't have the holes?

a_miller_76May-01-05 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8513, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by RST95eclipse
God I love this forum. Anyways, how do you hook up something to the Greddy RS to make it recirc? It has the blue aluminum piece that has holes in it. Take that off and fab up something that mates in with the thread that doesn't have the holes?

Good point. Forget what I said. I forgot about the holes.

HybriDSMMay-01-05 06:02 PM
2407 posts,
#8514, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by RST95eclipse
God I love this forum. Anyways, how do you hook up something to the Greddy RS to make it recirc? It has the blue aluminum piece that has holes in it. Take that off and fab up something that mates in with the thread that doesn't have the holes?

There is a recirc. kit for the RS. I know Greddy is making one but don't know any particular vendors selling it yet.

RST95eclipseMay-02-05 02:51 PM
403 posts,
#8515, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 28

PM me to let me know when that is and who it's with.

NHH223May-20-05 08:15 PM
161 posts,
#8516, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

Here's an update about what's going on...

Job Wise - I failed my state insurance exam. I mean, I studied the book, I took the 4hour class, and got a 54 (needed a 70 to pass). So, I have to re-take this test in order to get the job. That's another $59 I don't have, but I have to take it to start making cash. If anyone thinks low about me failing, remember, I'm 19 and life insurance is totally new to me. At the company recruitment, the insurance class, and the exam itself, I have been the YOUNGEST person there. Everyone is usually 40-ish, balding, and taking the exam to forward their life insurance careers and/or knowledge. If any of you guys have taken this test, let me know! Hahah

Car Wise - I got 4 new Fuzion HRIs on my GS-T. They are pretty sweet, pretty cheap. I wanted Falkens for $30 more, because Tiffany Lang did an ad for them (yeah, I'm kinda pathetic with that one). Anyone have input on these tires? They seem ok, made in the US under private contract by Bridgestone/Firestone (i think?). Well, I was given these tires through family, my uncle has a SICK connection to getting tires so I got these ones.

I am currently re-cirrculating a stock 2G BOV I recieved as a temporary donation from a new friend of mine. I doubt he posts on here, but he has a 99 GSX with Frankenstein 17G, 550cc inj, intake, crushed 1g BOV, S-AFC and a bunch of other crap.

Anyways, my new job training won't start until June 20th, so in the meantime, I need some help finding a temporary job. It can deal with cars, bartending, pizza, or plain old b*tch work.

Well, so far, thanks for the help. I do have some 420a parts if anyone knows someone interested. At this point, I'm willing to take a few hits and sell them cheap. I need the cash really bad. Thanks guys, Nick

RST95eclipseMay-22-05 01:15 PM
403 posts,
#8517, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 30

Good luck with the test. Hope you study hard and pass. I'd recommend going to an insurance salesman and ask for some help. If he's a nice guy he should help you out with it.

NHH223May-23-05 07:33 PM
161 posts,
#8518, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 31

The funny thing is, my state has no way of regulating the type of insurance we sell (final expense) so they ask all the agents to just go for life insurance, so basically I'm paying $59 and reading a huge text book on crap I don't want or need to know, only doing it because the state can't regulate my type of insurance sales and wants me to be licensed in something.

My inspection failed due to horn failure, outer tie-rod, and right bumper signal being out.

Horn $12
Tie-rod outer $25
Hitting my bumper light so it would turn on again... priceless

Tomorrow I go back, hoping to PASS my EMISSIONS so once I get this job I can get that damned MAFT, GM MAF, Apex'i N1 exhaust and then work on more goodies with my car. Wish me luck!

TguyApr-01-10 04:21 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13147, "RE: 2G 4G63 path of modification and/or ideas..."
In response to Reply # 0

save your money. dsm are bottomless pits. speaking with expereience.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8486 Previous topic | Next topic