Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8445
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ok, this got me a little nervous" Previous topic | Next topic
420a-TnthewerksApr-21-09 09:10 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8445, "Ok, this got me a little nervous"

Well, my car has been like missing at light throttle lately, so I ordered some Accel Thundersport wires and NGK7 plugs, but they haven't arrived yet after a week and a half from Pro Street Online. Anyway I go out just a few minutes ago and give it some throttle but nothing happens. I hear air moving but I'm not going any faster, then all of a sudden when I give alot of throttle it comes alive and jerks foward.

Then I'm sitting there idling in traffic and my RPM's drop and idles at 100 RPM, but it's not a smooth idle, so I have to keep the trottle open for it not to die but it's still missing like crazy with it open. It does the same thing as before with giving it gas but doesn't move when I get going until I can open the throttle alot.

Will bad plugs and wires cause this? God I freakin hope so.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-10-05 08:15 AM, #1
RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-10-05 10:03 AM, #2
      RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-10-05 11:11 AM, #3
      RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-14-05 12:00 PM, #27
      RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-10-05 11:34 AM, #4
           RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-10-05 01:00 PM, #5
           RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-11-05 08:49 AM, #6
                RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-11-05 09:58 AM, #7
                RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, GSGoinFast, Apr-11-05 10:18 AM, #8
                     RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, FlyinEsi, Apr-11-05 10:55 AM, #9
                          RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-11-05 11:16 AM, #10
                               RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, kelvinb1, Apr-11-05 12:33 PM, #11
                               RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-11-05 12:38 PM, #12
                RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-11-05 01:41 PM, #13
                     RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-11-05 02:02 PM, #14
                          RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-11-05 02:21 PM, #15
                          RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-13-05 02:07 PM, #16
RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, got_NX, Apr-13-05 04:08 PM, #17
RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-13-05 06:47 PM, #18
      RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-14-05 07:59 AM, #19
           RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-14-05 03:41 PM, #20
                RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, SaberKhan, Apr-14-05 04:42 PM, #21
                     RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-16-05 12:01 PM, #22
                          RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-17-05 05:31 PM, #23
                               RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Narco, Apr-17-05 06:26 PM, #24
                                    RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-27-05 08:58 AM, #25
                                         Update, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-13-05 06:49 PM, #26
                                              RE: Update, FlyinEsi, May-19-05 10:04 AM, #28
                                                   RE: Update, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-19-05 04:42 PM, #29
                                                        RE: Update, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-28-05 11:52 AM, #30
                                                             RE: Update, NHH223, May-28-05 06:37 PM, #31
                                                                  RE: Update, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-29-05 10:17 AM, #32
RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous, Tguy, Apr-01-10 04:34 PM, #33

NarcoApr-10-05 08:15 AM
Member since Jun 01st 2004
93 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8446, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you check your plugs out?

A misfire will f'up your idle, but the ecu should try to bump the idle up to compensate.

Did you say the misfire went away when you rev it up/put load on it?

'98 GSX
'98 GS(In case ^ Breaks)Weird, the GS broke before the 4G did, F'n headgasket.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420a-TnthewerksApr-10-05 10:03 AM
2267 posts,
#8447, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-10-05 10:04 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

I had Advanced Auto hook up tester to it, it say misfire cylinder 4. On the way there it had barely any acceleration and was choppy no matter how much load I put on it. So, I just bought and changed the plugs with NGK BRK6ES-11's. It runs a little smoother, but it's still lumpy. What's the gap supposed to be?

BTW, compression said 150 across the board with a warmed-up engine.

420a-TnthewerksApr-10-05 11:11 AM
2267 posts,
#8448, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
BTW, compression said 150 across the board with a warmed-up engine.

Scratch that, compression is 170-165-165-165 away from the timing cover to the timing cover.

420a-TnthewerksMay-14-05 12:00 PM
2267 posts,
#8449, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks BTW, compression said 150 across the board with a warmed-up engine.
Scratch that, compression is 170-165-165-165 away from the timing cover to the timing cover.

Oh yeah, this is weird, but I checked the compression again to make sure I didn't fuck anything up when it was driving all choppy and the numbers were better at 175-175-170-170

NarcoApr-10-05 11:34 AM
93 posts,
#8450, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-10-05 11:42 AM by Narco

What's the gap supposed to be?

.039"-.043"

'98 GSX

NarcoApr-10-05 01:00 PM
93 posts,
#8451, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 4

Looks like you're ok on compression according to this.

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/compression.htm

'98 GSX

420a-TnthewerksApr-11-05 08:49 AM
2267 posts,
#8452, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-11-05 08:50 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by Narco
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks What's the gap supposed to be?
.039"-.043"

Where did you find that out? I couldn't find shit except .028-.030. And that was even with the 6's(spark plugs).

Anyway, I'm going to go check the ohms on the wires right now.

Funny story, I searched on tuners, and some guy has the same exact problem as me with the same CEL codes and it happened on the same day(Saturday).

BTW, thanks for replying.

420a-TnthewerksApr-11-05 09:58 AM
2267 posts,
#8453, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok, I think I found the problem.. I'm running on 2 cylinders lol. I pulled the plug wire furthest from the timing belt when the car was running, and the motor ran the same way. Then I pulled the one next to it, still didn't change the way it was running. But the last two made it stumble. I can hear them sparking, but I guess it's not enough, unless it's both injectors <--doubtful.

I should of check this earlier, I know, but it didn't come to me until now. And I only got a code for cylinder #4.

GSGoinFastApr-11-05 10:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#8454, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok, I think I found the problem.. I'm running on 2 cylinders lol. I pulled the plug wire furthest from the timing belt when the car was running, and the motor ran the same way. Then I pulled the one next to it, still didn't change the way it was running. But the last two made it stumble. I can hear them sparking, but I guess it's not enough, unless it's both injectors <--doubtful. I should of check this earlier, I know, but it didn't come to me until now. And I only got a code for cylinder #4.

similar thing happened to me. would misfire loud like 3-4 times every gear. at idle it would shake like crazy. but after 3000 rpms it would smooth out. it was a bad wire.

maybe crankwalk??

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

FlyinEsiApr-11-05 10:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8455, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 8

Mine was just doing this too and replacing the spark plugs and gapping to .28-.31 corrected the problem for me.

420a-TnthewerksApr-11-05 11:16 AM
2267 posts,
#8456, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Mine was just doing this too and replacing the spark plugs and gapping to .28-.31 corrected the problem for me.

Yeah, I read about yours but it's not really the same. Mine has pretty much NO power through the entire RPM band. And is choppy as hell. The new plugs I gapped to .029, but it didn't help. I'm just waiting for the new wires to get here, but it's taking forever.

kelvinb1Apr-11-05 12:33 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#8457, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 10

do you have upgraded injectors? if not i have 3 450s sitting here

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-11-05 12:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8458, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 10

yeah dude, a bad wire will do that. RPM's don't usually smooth it out too much either since the cyl with the bad wire isn't burning all the fuel. It's stumbling because you're running pig rich...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

NarcoApr-11-05 01:41 PM
93 posts,
#8459, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Narco
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks What's the gap supposed to be?
.039"-.043"
Where did you find that out? I couldn't find shit except .028-.030. And that was even with the 6's(spark plugs). Anyway, I'm going to go check the ohms on the wires right now. Funny story, I searched on tuners, and some guy has the same exact problem as me with the same CEL codes and it happened on the same day(Saturday). BTW, thanks for replying.

Found it in Chilton's, but It looked like they had the engine codes messed up for the 4g63 and the 420a. So, you're probably right, it shows also .028-.031.

'98 GSX

420a-TnthewerksApr-11-05 02:02 PM
2267 posts,
#8460, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 13

The car doesn't even start now, if it does, it runs for like a second. Pro Street couldn't of picked a worse time to sit on their ass and not even ship out my wires for 10 + running days.

NarcoApr-11-05 02:21 PM
93 posts,
#8461, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 14

I'd go over to CSK or AutoZone, pick up a set of wires, test it out, then take 'em back when your new ones get there.

'98 GSX

420a-TnthewerksApr-13-05 02:07 PM
2267 posts,
#8462, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 14

Ok, I got some "cheap" wires to try and that was not the problem. My fuel pump was pretty much dead, good thing I had my Walbro laying around. Put that in, it starts now, but it's still misfiring on #4. It should be getting fuel because the exhaust is popping. I ordered a new coil pack and it should be in tomorrow. Hopefully that's it.

got_NXApr-13-05 04:08 PM
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
225 posts,
#8463, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, my car has been like missing at light throttle lately, so I ordered some Accel Thundersport wires and NGK7 plugs, but they haven't arrived yet after a week and a half from Pro Street Online. Anyway I go out just a few minutes ago and give it some throttle but nothing happens. I hear air moving but I'm not going any faster, then all of a sudden when I give alot of throttle it comes alive and jerks foward. Then I'm sitting there idling in traffic and my RPM's drop and idles at 100 RPM, but it's not a smooth idle, so I have to keep the trottle open for it not to die but it's still missing like crazy with it open. It does the same thing as before with giving it gas but doesn't move when I get going until I can open the throttle alot. Will bad plugs and wires cause this? God I freakin hope so.

Sounds like muffler bearings. But what do I know? I drive the F&F car!

420a-TnthewerksApr-13-05 06:47 PM
2267 posts,
#8464, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by got_NX
Sounds like muffler bearings. But what do I know? I drive the F&F car!

What is up with you, dude lol? I LIKE your car. And no, it's not fucking muffler bearings lol.

NarcoApr-14-05 07:59 AM
93 posts,
#8465, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 18

Take out the #4 injectior and clean it up really well, and check the connection. Also, look at the spark plug. Does it look like it's getting fuel?

'98 GSX

420a-TnthewerksApr-14-05 03:41 PM
2267 posts,
#8466, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 19

Got it to run smooth but now the idle moves between 1500 and almost dying RPM's. JEEZ lol. I'll check the idle sensor and clean the TB up and see if it does anything.

SaberKhanApr-14-05 04:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#8467, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 20

Did you replace the coilpack yet? Better yet, check the resistance across the primary and secondary coils. Cylinders 1/4 are companions, sounds like you have a bad coil.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

420a-TnthewerksApr-16-05 12:01 PM
2267 posts,
#8468, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by SaberKhan
Did you replace the coilpack yet? Better yet, check the resistance across the primary and secondary coils. Cylinders 1/4 are companions, sounds like you have a bad coil.

Well, I changed half of it lol, I didn't know it came in two. Changed the 4 and 1 half.

I'm going to be cleaning the TB and the idle sensor today.

420a-TnthewerksApr-17-05 05:31 PM
2267 posts,
#8469, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 22

Cleaned it all up(man, taking that TB off was a bigger pain than I thought it was going to be, especially with the cruise control box there).. but, that wasn't the problem. I'm going to take it somewhere where I can use a scan tool for a couple minutes to set the BISS and see if that does it.

NarcoApr-17-05 06:26 PM
93 posts,
#8470, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 23

Good luck man!

Just a case of the missing link, replace everything until you find it.

At least when you're done, you'll know you checked it all out

'98 GSX

420a-TnthewerksApr-27-05 08:58 AM
2267 posts,
#8471, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 24
Apr-27-05 09:06 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Well, I reluctantly took it to a shop yesterday so they could hook a scan tool up to it, to set the idle. The mechanic took a fucking HOUR to do it! But, that didn't fix the problem. I guess the scan tool told him that the idle motor is sticking, so I'll be looking around for one.

When I got there to pick it up, he told me that it took an hour so my bill would be $67! I was like "what took him so long?" He said the guy cleaned out around the idle motor and all that, and I said that I had already done that. He was like, "oh, welll" lol. He also said if I wanted to get a new motor put in, the part alone would be $400! I said I can find one myself and put it in and the only reason I came here is because I can't afford a $1800 scan tool. Then he told me that if I get a new motor and put it in myself, I can come back and have the idle set for free if it's off. So, I paid $67 for nothing really, but I get it for free next time(if I need it )

So, if anybody has an idle motor off of a 1g turbo OR non-turbo or 2g turbo, I would like to buy it.

edit- I guess I can get one from any of these sources:
1990-1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser Turbo-And Non Turbo,
-1991-1992 Galant VR-4
-1989 Mirage/Colt Turbo
-1995-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo-And Non Turbo
-1995-1998 Eagle Talon Turbo-And Non Turbo
-Dodge Steath/3000GT-3.0 Turbo and NT

It might fit other vehicles as well.

420a-TnthewerksMay-13-05 06:49 PM
2267 posts,
#8472, "Update"
In response to Reply # 25

I got the new(used) idle motor on Tuesday and put it in. Started it up after a week and a half of not running and it STILL idled like shit and died. Before I went to work I disconnected the battery and when I got home, connected it and it ran a little better, didn't die at all. I decided to drive it around a bit and on the way home from a friends house I noticed it did quite well and idled pretty smooth.

Wednesday I had high hopes for it to to be good to me, but, started it up and idled like shit again. Drove around quite a bit Wednesday.

Thursday, I start it up, and by-fucking-god, it runs smooth, I was quite happy . Since then it's been running pretty smooth, just idles in different places sometimes, normally between 700-1000RPM's. Set up an appointment to have my free idle setting done next Tuesday.

FlyinEsiMay-19-05 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8473, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 26

have you had the injector checked to make sure it is actually opening????

420a-TnthewerksMay-19-05 04:42 PM
2267 posts,
#8474, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 28

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
have you had the injector checked to make sure it is actually opening????

Nope. I got the idle set. It still kind of hesitates once and awhile but not much at all. I know the wires I have in there are pathetic and Pro Street FINALLY shipped out my Accel's today, so I'll be waiting for those.

420a-TnthewerksMay-28-05 11:52 AM
2267 posts,
#8475, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 29

Originally posted by FlyinEsi have you had the injector checked to make sure it is actually opening????
Nope. I got the idle set. It still kind of hesitates once and awhile but not much at all. I know the wires I have in there are pathetic and Pro Street FINALLY shipped out my Accel's today, so I'll be waiting for those.

Guess I'll just update since I've been doing it this whole time. Put the Accel Thundersport wires and NGK 7's in and it runs smooth. Idle kind or flucuates a tiny bit at the spot it idle's at, but no big deal, can't feel it, just see the needle moving a tiny bit.

NHH223May-28-05 06:37 PM
Member since Apr 20th 2004
161 posts,
#8476, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 30

You know about the Magnecore website on 4G63 wires? It's long, and goes on and on about moisture, oil, and other crap messing with your plugs and wires. The previous owner of my GS-T (not the brightest star in the night sky) had his stock wires replaced 3 times, with stock wires mind you, and they kept "arcing" or something like that. (whatever he told me) So anyways, I got the Mag 8.5mms, and NGK 7s (which I need to change) and I really haven't had any ignition/spark/wire problems at all. I guess performance wires are a lot better. Haven't heard the best reviews about Accel wires, but I hope they work out for you.

'95 Copper GS-T "Serena" Stage 3 CM Clutch w/alumin flywheel, Injen Intake, Apex'i I/C pipes + Twin Chamber BOV, Defi D-Series Boost + A/F gauges...pushing 17psi!

420a-TnthewerksMay-29-05 10:17 AM
2267 posts,
#8477, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 31

Originally posted by NHH223
You know about the Magnecore website on 4G63 wires? It's long, and goes on and on about moisture, oil, and other crap messing with your plugs and wires. The previous owner of my GS-T (not the brightest star in the night sky) had his stock wires replaced 3 times, with stock wires mind you, and they kept "arcing" or something like that. (whatever he told me) So anyways, I got the Mag 8.5mms, and NGK 7s (which I need to change) and I really haven't had any ignition/spark/wire problems at all. I guess performance wires are a lot better. Haven't heard the best reviews about Accel wires, but I hope they work out for you.

That's because that's Magnecore's own website. I did quite a bit of research before picking the Accels (I didn't even go to their website). Tuners has a huge thread on wires and it seems Magnecore's are the worst for us, IMO. It's all based on opinion it seems.

TguyApr-01-10 04:34 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13159, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 0

missfire and idle surge problem.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8445 Previous topic | Next topic