Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8325
View in linear mode

Subject: "YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions." Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiApr-21-09 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8325, "YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
Jun-13-05 09:15 AM by FlyinEsi

You guys are full of shit, getting it done in an hour! Took me 6ish hours to do with help, we had a couple snags, but still. I had to pull the intake manifold off with it, because I couldn't bust the bolts loose underneith on that damn bracket that is almost impossible to get to, but I figured it out.

Getting the timing belt loose was a total bitch, and I still don't know how I'm going to get it out...do you jack the motor up, or lower it down? I just have the drivers side motor mount pulled off. Thanks for advice.

Bad News:
-Exhaust valves are WHITE! Very very white. Means lean, correct?
-Head gasket doesn't look bad at all, but I guess that doesn't have to be the source of a leak there.
-Pistons look like shit. Mostly black, but my dad says that could be from just pulling the car in and out of the garage real quick, car being in open loop and running rich for a minute. No obvious damage to any of the pistons though. (that's a relief from running 18-22psi for the last 45K miles with probably less than acceptible tuning)

Good News:
- None to report yet. Drop off the head today at the machine shop. They will tell me the rest.

Question:
The air conditioner *radiator* has a bunch of white crusty build up on it...any idea what that is??

Comments:
Damn this is going to be a bitch to put back together. All those vacuum hoses, brackets, just a bunch of bullshit to bolt back on. Hope I'm not in over my head and can get this car to fire up again.

On top of all of this, I did most of this with a 100* fever running all day Saturday at a car show and Sunday while working on the car.

I have been without my car for about 26 hours and I miss her dearly already. Can't wait to get her all fixed.

I'll get some pics hosted up tomorrow of the block and air conditioner radiator.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-13-05 03:19 PM, #1
RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., BigBald, Jun-13-05 05:04 PM, #2
      RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-14-05 04:12 AM, #3
           RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., Remy, Jun-14-05 12:13 PM, #4
                RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-15-05 04:25 AM, #5
                RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., BigBald, Jun-15-05 06:00 AM, #6
                     RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-15-05 09:04 AM, #7
                          RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., TeamDR1665, Jun-15-05 09:49 AM, #8
                          RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., slowmitsu, Jun-16-05 05:44 AM, #9
                               RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., Remy, Jun-16-05 07:11 PM, #10
                                    RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., SaberKhan, Jun-18-05 07:39 AM, #11
                                         RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-20-05 04:32 AM, #12
                                              RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., TeamJeff_99gs, Jun-20-05 04:39 AM, #13
                                                   RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., HybriDSM, Jun-20-05 04:52 AM, #14
                                                        RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., BigBald, Jun-20-05 05:02 AM, #15
                                                             RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-20-05 05:27 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., L2RTSiAWD, Jun-20-05 08:16 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-20-05 08:42 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., Pitchblack98, Jun-20-05 09:15 AM, #19
                                                                            RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., L2RTSiAWD, Jun-21-05 08:09 AM, #21
                                                                                 RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-21-05 08:14 AM, #22
                                                                                      RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., L2RTSiAWD, Jun-21-05 08:21 AM, #23
                                                                                      RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., Pitchblack98, Jun-21-05 01:42 PM, #24
                                                                            RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., BigBald, Jun-20-05 01:20 PM, #20
                                                                                 RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-22-05 04:32 AM, #25
                                                                                      RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., Vandy420a, Jun-22-05 06:20 AM, #26
                                                                                      RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., L2RTSiAWD, Jun-22-05 07:25 AM, #27
                                                                                           RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., FlyinEsi, Jun-23-05 04:28 AM, #28
                                                                                                RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., L2RTSiAWD, Jun-23-05 07:12 AM, #29
                                                                                                     RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., TeamDR1665, Jun-23-05 07:54 AM, #30
                                                                                                          RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., L2RTSiAWD, Jun-24-05 06:12 AM, #31
                                                                                                               RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., turbo8u, Jun-24-05 06:51 AM, #32
RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions., Tguy, Apr-01-10 04:31 PM, #33

TeamJeff_99gsJun-13-05 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8326, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
You guys are full of shit, getting it done in an hour! Took me 6ish hours to do with help, we had a couple snags, but still.

Only BigBald said that. Of course it will take longer; especially for a newbie and a head that has never been pulled before.

Bad News: -Exhaust valves are WHITE! Very very white. Means lean, correct?

Normal

-Pistons look like shit.

Normal

Question: The air conditioner *radiator* has a bunch of white crusty build up on it.

Normal. It is called the A/C condensor, by the way.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BigBaldJun-13-05 05:04 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#8327, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 1

6 hours.....WTF......took me a hour.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

FlyinEsiJun-14-05 04:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8328, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by BigBald
6 hours.....WTF......took me a hour.

Jerrome, I'm just teasin' man. I can definitely see myself doing it in about 2 hours if I have to do it again, but someone who REALLY knows what they are doing can do it quicker. Especially if they know what all they are looking for.

RemyJun-14-05 12:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8329, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 3

Just remember where everything goes. 2 hrs is all it should take anyone.

Now if you just take a razor blade and cut the timing belt off , you can have that bitch out in 30min

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

FlyinEsiJun-15-05 04:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8330, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Remy
Just remember where everything goes. 2 hrs is all it should take anyone. Now if you just take a razor blade and cut the timing belt off , you can have that bitch out in 30min WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

son of a ..... Why didn't I think of that!

BigBaldJun-15-05 06:00 AM
2715 posts,
#8331, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Remy
Just remember where everything goes. 2 hrs is all it should take anyone. Now if you just take a razor blade and cut the timing belt off , you can have that bitch out in 30min WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

TRUE STORY......

FlyinEsiJun-15-05 09:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8332, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-15-05 09:04 AM by FlyinEsi

Yes! Head is finished and ready for pick up! I guess he couldn't do the .020 deck because he took down .003 or .004 and was already knicking the tops of the valves. Vacuum test came out perfect, valves look great, he said there is really no need for porting at all because they are pretty big runners... $100 ...kickass!

I'm still going to post pictures later, I've been sick as a dog this week.

TeamDR1665Jun-15-05 09:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#8333, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 7

Sounds good, Dan. Reminds me of when I picked up that 93GS and had to assemble and install the head. Did it next to blind in an apartment parking lot, but it's been running strong ever since. HoO-rah!

slowmitsuJun-16-05 05:44 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#8334, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 7

he said there is really no need for porting at all because they are pretty big runners

Depends on who you ask. He's probably more familiar with other heads and, yes, in those terms the 4G63 head will outflow pretty much anything.

I hope you labeled everything. Colered zipties and electrical tape saved me alot of headache when putting my long block back in.

RemyJun-16-05 07:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#8335, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 9

Took me 2 1/2 hrs to get the head off tonight. Fucking timing cover bolts took most of the time.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

SaberKhanJun-18-05 07:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#8336, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 10

Hahah. Yeah I cut my timing belt with a pair of tin snips. Took me literally 30 min at most to get the head off. As for the white valves, did it look more like a white bulid up? Or was the metal itself a white color? If its a bulid up, thats raw unburnt fuel. I had it so bad it was built up in clumps like barnacles growing on the bottom of a boat.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

FlyinEsiJun-20-05 04:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8337, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 11

*Sigh*

Car still sits on jack stands. The head moderator for DSMtuners came over and helped me get the head put back onto the block and everything plugged back in, only to have one of the head bolts not go all the way back into the block. I don't want to pull it all back off to tap the threads so I'm waiting for a friend to see if he can get an extended thread tapper.

I didn't work on the car at all yesterday because I'm so burnt out over all of this, but I'll be back on it tonight. Then hopefully this week I'll get the head back together and have another friend come over to help me get my timing set and my throttle set right.

Still a lot of work to do because my EGT probe is stripped, I have a bolt that broke off in my turbo from the exhaust manifold...etc...

Wish me luck guys, this sucks!!!!!

TeamJeff_99gsJun-20-05 04:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8338, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 12
Jun-20-05 04:39 AM by Jeff_99gs

You lubed the studs yes? The same thing happened with Matt's car. Just keep screwing it in and unscrewing it until it goes all the way down. It will work.

HybriDSMJun-20-05 04:52 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#8339, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
You lubed the studs yes? The same thing happened with Matt's car. Just keep screwing it in and unscrewing it until it goes all the way down. It will work.

Seconded. This is 100% spot on.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

BigBaldJun-20-05 05:02 AM
2715 posts,
#8340, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 14

I thought you were using ARP head studs? Why are you now re-using the head bolts? Did you make sure they weren't stretched before putting them back in?

FlyinEsiJun-20-05 05:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8341, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 15

they are ARP head studs...I've tried putting this bolt in 4 or 5 times, goes down the same distance each time. And yes, they are all lubed up. I'm going to get busy on it tonight and try to get it going again, if not, the head is coming back off tonight.

L2RTSiAWDJun-20-05 08:16 AM
Member since Sep 30th 2003
244 posts,
#8342, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 16

Believe me, we screwed and unscewed that one stud many times and I didn't want to see that thing strip or cross-thread in there. It was the only one that did it and it would not go down in any further.

Once that stud gets in there, I don't forsee it taking much longer to get everything bolted back up.

FlyinEsiJun-20-05 08:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8343, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by L2RTSiAWD
Believe me, we screwed and unscewed that one stud many times and I didn't want to see that thing strip or cross-thread in there. It was the only one that did it and it would not go down in any further. Once that stud gets in there, I don't forsee it taking much longer to get everything bolted back up.

No probably not, but I think I have to take the head off again to get down to the block. I went to ACE and they only have about a 3" long tap and I need at least 5-6 inches to reach down that far.

I hate this car right now

Pitchblack98Jun-20-05 09:15 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#8344, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 18

get the short tap and weld it to a long 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet extension and use a socket wrench to tap it out. I had to do that for something simular. Make sure its a good weld so it doesnt break loose in the block. Cheap and easy fix.

L2RTSiAWDJun-21-05 08:09 AM
244 posts,
#8345, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by Pitchblack98
get the short tap and weld it to a long 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet extension and use a socket wrench to tap it out. I had to do that for something simular. Make sure its a good weld so it doesnt break loose in the block. Cheap and easy fix.

That's a good idea.

FlyinEsiJun-21-05 08:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8346, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 21

it will take me just as long to get the tap welded to an extention, and just as expensive, as just pulling the head back off, using the tiny tap, and then putting it all back on.

I think I'll go the labor route, rather than the expensive lazier route.

L2RTSiAWDJun-21-05 08:21 AM
244 posts,
#8347, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 22

it will take me just as long to get the tap welded to an extention, and just as expensive, as just pulling the head back off, using the tiny tap, and then putting it all back on. I think I'll go the labor route, rather than the expensive lazier route.

Damnit, all of our work down the drain.

Pitchblack98Jun-21-05 01:42 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#8348, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 22

it will take me just as long to get the tap welded to an extention, and just as expensive, as just pulling the head back off, using the tiny tap, and then putting it all back on. I think I'll go the labor route, rather than the expensive lazier route.

Muffler shop welded mine up for free in about 5 mins... cost of tap about 5 bux, cost of socket extension 5 bux... so for half an hour of your time and 10 bux give or take and your good incase it happens again...

atleast taking it back apart you can make sure non of the shaving get into the cylinder.

BigBaldJun-20-05 01:20 PM
2715 posts,
#8349, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by L2RTSiAWD Believe me, we screwed and unscewed that one stud many times and I didn't want to see that thing strip or cross-thread in there. It was the only one that did it and it would not go down in any further. Once that stud gets in there, I don't forsee it taking much longer to get everything bolted back up.
No probably not, but I think I have to take the head off again to get down to the block. I went to ACE and they only have about a 3" long tap and I need at least 5-6 inches to reach down that far. I hate this car right now

This is what owning a DSM is all about......it wouldn't be the same if everything went smoothly....lol....

FlyinEsiJun-22-05 04:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8350, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 20

Well, the head came back off in about 30 minutes. Damn, that was much faster. Took the tap to the block and it wouldn't go into the block and start cleaning the threads. So I grabbed my brake cleaner and sprayed the shit out of each hole, cleaned some shit out of a couple of them. Grabbed the head stud again went down, won't go very far, backed back out again, went back down, it kind of stuck, make a crack sound and then went the rest of the way down!!!!! FUCKIN-A!

Put the head back on, plugged every vacuum hose back into the back, and put the studs in AND THEY WENT DOWN!! So the head is back on. Then went to torque down the studs, and I bought a damn inch/lbs torque wrench istead of a ft/lbs. But my neighbor stopped by and he has one he will be bringing over tonight.

Now if I can just get someone to come over and help me install the cams and set my timing, I'll be on my way to completion maybe before this weekend.

Vandy420aJun-22-05 06:20 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8351, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 25

congrats!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

L2RTSiAWDJun-22-05 07:25 AM
244 posts,
#8352, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 25

Then went to torque down the studs, and I bought a damn inch/lbs torque wrench istead of a ft/lbs.

ROFL

I never looked at the wrench.

FlyinEsiJun-23-05 04:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8353, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 27

Whew...got head back on last night, cams installed, and I tried to extract a broken bolt out of the turbo and we broke the damn extractor. That bitch is in there. Going to drive around with 3 bolts and take it to a machine shop to get it professionally taken out. Also have a stripped EGT hole, going to have them do something to help me fix that crap too.

Radiator is installed, all hoses hooked up, and taloniized is going over to my house today to get the t-belt on and set the timing. Car might run today.

Wish me luck. With all the stuff I've done to this car, I'm honestly scared something is going to go wrong.

L2RTSiAWDJun-23-05 07:12 AM
244 posts,
#8354, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 28

Good luck man. I'm sure it will be all good.

TeamDR1665Jun-23-05 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#8355, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 29

Good luck man. I'm sure it will be all good.

Too bad you're way out there in BFE, Dan. Then again, what do I know about putting a 4G63 back together? Glad to hear things are going well.

L2RTSiAWDJun-24-05 06:12 AM
244 posts,
#8356, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 30

Originally posted by DR1665
Then again, what do I know about putting a 4G63 back together?

Then again what do you know about putting a 420a back together.

turbo8uJun-24-05 06:51 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#8357, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 31

Originally posted by DR1665 Then again, what do I know about putting a 4G63 back together?
Then again what do you know about putting a 420a back together.

oh snap lmfao

TguyApr-01-10 04:31 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13157, "RE: YEAH BABY! Got the head off. Now more questions."
In response to Reply # 0

radiatior = oxidation residue.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8325 Previous topic | Next topic