Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8172
View in threaded mode

Subject: "94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
jap901Jun-20-05 02:46 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2005
16 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8172, "94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"

Hello I purchesed this car cheap to fix for my wife. When you crank the engine up it does not smoke untell it warms up and it is very little but it you step on the gas it realy starts rolling out the smoke so i am thinking the head needs rebuilt but what do you all think?

The engine has 164000 miles on it so I am thinking of rebuilding the hole thing, I am not wanting to build it for high H/P but for gas milage.

What items/mods can help increase Milage?

Thanks Jim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamJeff_99gsJun-20-05 06:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8173, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 0

I am assuming it is a non-turbo? What color is the smoke?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aJun-21-05 02:55 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8174, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 1

compression test.

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

jap901Jun-21-05 03:05 AM
16 posts,
#8175, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 2

It is A none turbo model and the smoke looks white to me but i can smell the oil. I was just going to rebuild the hole thing because it has 164000 on it but i am going to pull a compression test on it and see how good the bottom end is b4 i deside on a complete rebuild.

the car been setting for about a year and a half because the trans is slipping and it didn't smoke when it was parked but does now, so by what i have been reading i think it may be the valve seals.

Thanks Jim

Vandy420aJun-21-05 05:10 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8176, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 3

keep us posted---there are alot of very knowledgable people on this site who are more than willing to help. Good luck!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

jap901Jun-21-05 05:38 AM
16 posts,
#8177, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 4

I will do. I plan of getting A compression check on it as soon as i get up with a buddy of mine that has a compression gauge.

jap901Jun-22-05 03:24 PM
16 posts,
#8178, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 5

I havn't been able to get with my buddy to do a compression check but my dad sayed he had one i can use but i seen today smoke coming from the dip stick tube and read that is blowby so I think the car setting the year and half a ring stuck in and and that why it is smoking now. I will know for sure this weekend I keep you all posted.

It still throwing me off why it don't smoke till warm up it semce it smoke cold or hot if it was the rings

jap901Jul-17-05 03:47 PM
16 posts,
#8179, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 6

Hello, I did a compression test today and the engine has 190psi on all 4 cyl, so I am still lost to as what is cousing this. It does not smoke a lick till it warms up.

Hult250RJul-17-05 05:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#8180, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 7

Valve seals??

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

TalontaxiJul-19-05 06:00 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#8181, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 8

Valve seals normally leak at start up, then clear up as the car runs. The seals go soft and leak oil into the cylinder when the engine is off, they generally don't leak alot when the car is running, but it is possible. Your problem could be something as simple as a pcv valve, but smoke comeing from the dipstick tube sounds like blow by to me, even though your compression is good you still should not have smoke coming from your dipstick tube. IMO I'd re-ring it with a new head gasket.

jap901Jul-20-05 02:25 PM
16 posts,
#8182, "RE: 94 ply laser 2.0 smoking badly"
In response to Reply # 9

I was told to do a wet test do to the compression rings can be good and the oil ring be bad.

wet test # are 1=240psi 2=220 3=240 4=210 turn engine over 4 times

Wet test # 1=270 2=240 3=260 4=230 turning engine over till needle holds steady

The dry compression test # 190psi on all for turning engine over 4 times.

dry compression test 1=210 2=200 3=210 4=210 turning engine over till needle is holding steady.

This is the how to page i went by to do compression test: http://www.dsmgrrrl.com/FAQs/compression.htm

Thanks for your input and replys

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8172 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic