Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #812
View in linear mode

Subject: "So I guess the gig is up..." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-21-09 09:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#812, "So I guess the gig is up..."

I started noticing alot of rust around my car this past summer. The strut towers in the engine bay, underside of the hatch, under the back bumper cover ect. A few months back, I needed to change a plate light and when I put pressure on the screw to break it loose, the whole thing just broke off.
The rust, along with, needing a paint job, a new front bumper from getting beat up while I was lowered, need new rims cause the chrome peeled on the inside and won't seal, and just a bunch of other little shit made me start thinking about the future of this car.
When my wife was thinking of trading hers in, we were set on getting a truck but then she changed her mind because she wanted a car. AWD and 4 door vehicles were mentioned and of course we talked about an EVO. She decided against that also because she can't drive stick. I told her she could have my car and she said fuck it, I'l keep my Integra.
Fast forward 2 weeks and my crank pulley goes. I told her, maybe I should just get rid of this thing. She says I suppose you want an Evo right?
So, tomorrow, everything comes out and Friday, I go to the dealer. They still have an 05 MR as a leftover and 4 others of various trim.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: So I guess the gig is up..., FlyinEsi, Jan-30-06 02:26 PM, #1
RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Hult250R, Jan-30-06 03:08 PM, #4
RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Diceman19, Jan-30-06 02:38 PM, #2
RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Moderator992gnt, Jan-30-06 03:07 PM, #3
      RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-30-06 03:46 PM, #5
           RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Jan-30-06 04:32 PM, #6
           RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Diceman19, Jan-30-06 11:51 PM, #7
                RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ScreaminE, Jan-31-06 07:34 AM, #8
                     RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Jan-31-06 07:55 AM, #9
                          RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-31-06 10:48 AM, #10
                               RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Jan-31-06 06:16 PM, #16
           RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 420a-Tnthewerks, Jan-31-06 11:01 AM, #11
                RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-31-06 11:38 AM, #12
                     RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 420a-Tnthewerks, Jan-31-06 11:58 AM, #13
                          RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-31-06 01:11 PM, #14
                               RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Dualgen2, Jan-31-06 03:33 PM, #15
                               RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Jan-31-06 06:18 PM, #17
                                    RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Dualgen2, Feb-01-06 03:08 AM, #18
                                         RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Feb-01-06 04:05 AM, #19
                                              RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Dualgen2, Feb-01-06 06:32 AM, #20
                                                   RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Moderator992gnt, Feb-01-06 06:59 AM, #21
                                                        RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Feb-01-06 07:13 AM, #22
                               RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 420a-Tnthewerks, Feb-01-06 01:04 PM, #23
                                    RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-02-06 07:47 AM, #24
                                         RE: So I guess the gig is up..., 97eclipse97, Feb-02-06 07:51 AM, #25
                                              RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Moderator992gnt, Feb-02-06 10:28 AM, #26
                                                   RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-02-06 01:01 PM, #27
                                                        RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Moderator992gnt, Feb-02-06 02:06 PM, #28
                                                             RE: So I guess the gig is up..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-03-06 06:36 PM, #29
                                                                  RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Diceman19, Feb-03-06 07:21 PM, #30
RE: So I guess the gig is up..., Tguy, Apr-01-10 04:28 PM, #31

FlyinEsiJan-30-06 02:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#813, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 0

Enjoy your grocery getter...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Hult250RJan-30-06 03:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#814, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Enjoy your grocery getter...

I know I would!
Im Jealous

And Diceman beat me to the comment about your sig

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Diceman19Jan-30-06 02:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#815, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-30-06 02:38 PM by Diceman19

Originally posted by eclipzGST
I started noticing alot of rust around my car this past summer. The strut towers in the engine bay, underside of the hatch, under the back bumper cover ect. A few months back, I needed to change a plate light and when I put pressure on the screw to break it loose, the whole thing just broke off. The rust, along with, needing a paint job, a new front bumper from getting beat up while I was lowered, need new rims cause the chrome peeled on the inside and won't seal, and just a bunch of other little shit made me start thinking about the future of this car. When my wife was thinking of trading hers in, we were set on getting a truck but then she changed her mind because she wanted a car. AWD and 4 door vehicles were mentioned and of course we talked about an EVO. She decided against that also because she can't drive stick. I told her she could have my car and she said fuck it, I'l keep my Integra. Fast forward 2 weeks and my crank pulley goes. I told her, maybe I should just get rid of this thing. She says I suppose you want an Evo right? So, tomorrow, everything comes out and Friday, I go to the dealer. They still have an 05 MR as a leftover and 4 others of various trim.

i guess your sig is now literal.

what you got for sale?

Moderator992gntJan-30-06 03:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#816, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 2

Keep us posted on what you get. I've actually been kicking around the idea of trading the VIII in for a IX - those things are making truly sick power with next to no mods. I miss my 2g, but I haven't regretted selling it for one second.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-30-06 03:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#817, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-30-06 09:02 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by 992gnt
Keep us posted on what you get. I've actually been kicking around the idea of trading the VIII in for a IX - those things are making truly sick power with next to no mods. I miss my 2g, but I haven't regretted selling it for one second.

Yeah, I've been poking around on the EVO forums and just a turbo back exaust and an ECU flash gets you some serious gains.
I'm probably going with an 05 just because of the price but knowing my wife, they won't have a color SHE likes and will tell me to get an 06 because I'm sure they'll have a nice selection...
And yeah, my sig was accurate, I can't believe how much rust I'm finding.
edit for Diceman: NOTHING is for sale. All my mods are going in one lump to an NEDSM'er for some cash and the stock parts to get my car back to trade-in condition. I'm taking a pretty big hit but I just want to get it done. Selling my mods piece by piece and then having to rebuy the stock shit would take too long as this my DD.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

97eclipse97Jan-30-06 04:32 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#818, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 5

Just go for the red MR over at Westborough. You know you want it

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Diceman19Jan-30-06 11:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#819, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 6

honestly, the 2g's are rust buckets. my 98 has rust under the hood and in the hatch area. im sure there is a buttload more that i just cant see. my 2g hasnt seen a winter since about 2002, at least.

ScreaminEJan-31-06 07:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#820, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 7

My 2g is spotless when it comes to rust, so is the 1g, but I do live in NC where salt and snow only happens like once every ten years. Met a guy in the parking lot outside of my girlfriend's place and he bought a 2g talon awd from michigan and that thing was rusted to shit!

97eclipse97Jan-31-06 07:55 AM
695 posts,
#821, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 8

Let's see...

My 97 RS had (has) rust where the turbo side skirts go on both sides, as well as where the license plate bolts up like Tony's.

My 95 GSX had very bad rust on both strut towers, along with some on the undercarriage on the drivers side.

My 95 Talon has a rusted out sunroof that leaks and rust on the bottom of the hatch (basically where you put your hand to open it).

Oh and for your viewing pleasure, the pics of the rust on my GSX:

P.s. The rust has been repaired on it (replaced with new metal-not cheap!)

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-31-06 10:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#822, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-31-06 10:50 AM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Let's see... My 97 RS had (has) rust where the turbo side skirts go on both sides, as well as where the license plate bolts up like Tony's. My 95 GSX had very bad rust on both strut towers, along with some on the undercarriage on the drivers side. My 95 Talon has a rusted out sunroof that leaks and rust on the bottom of the hatch (basically where you put your hand to open it). Oh and for your viewing pleasure, the pics of the rust on my GSX: http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00578.jp g http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00579.jp g http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00580.jp g http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00581.jp g P.s. The rust has been repaired on it (replaced with new metal-not cheap!)

oh
my
god!
Was that car rescued from the bottom of the ocean? That looks horrible!
edit: I thought it was AFTER 1995 that mitsu started to skimp on the rustproofing?

97eclipse97Jan-31-06 06:16 PM
695 posts,
#823, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 97eclipse97 Let's see... My 97 RS had (has) rust where the turbo side skirts go on both sides, as well as where the license plate bolts up like Tony's. My 95 GSX had very bad rust on both strut towers, along with some on the undercarriage on the drivers side. My 95 Talon has a rusted out sunroof that leaks and rust on the bottom of the hatch (basically where you put your hand to open it). Oh and for your viewing pleasure, the pics of the rust on my GSX: http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00578.jp g http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00579.jp g http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00580.jp g http://www.mustangmods.com/data/14146/dsc00581.jp g P.s. The rust has been repaired on it (replaced with new metal-not cheap!)
oh my god! Was that car rescued from the bottom of the ocean? That looks horrible! edit: I thought it was AFTER 1995 that mitsu started to skimp on the rustproofing?

Ya, I have no idea what happened. Luckily the car is almost rust free now. And yes, it was after '96 that they skimped on the rust proofing. I guess New England is just aweful for 2g's...

420a-TnthewerksJan-31-06 11:01 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#824, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 5

All my mods are going in one lump to an NEDSM'er for some cash and the stock parts to get my car back to trade-in condition. I'm taking a pretty big hit but I just want to get it done.

How much is he offering?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-31-06 11:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#825, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 11
Jan-31-06 11:41 AM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by eclipzGST All my mods are going in one lump to an NEDSM'er for some cash and the stock parts to get my car back to trade-in condition. I'm taking a pretty big hit but I just want to get it done.
How much is he offering?

I made HIM the offer. I'm not at liberty to say how much.
Lets just say, it's enough to be a BIG help with the downpayment on the Evo.
Also, if I ever need his help in the future, he'll remember how good of a deal I gave him. (hopefully) NEDSM'ers are pretty good like that and will usually help each other out and ask for nothing in return. My wife however was NOT happy, she knows I could get more than twice as much if I parted it but I'm not going to go there. I know for a fact, most of my setup is going on a car that has a future and that alone makes it worth it to me...

420a-TnthewerksJan-31-06 11:58 AM
2267 posts,
#826, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by eclipzGST All my mods are going in one lump to an NEDSM'er for some cash and the stock parts to get my car back to trade-in condition. I'm taking a pretty big hit but I just want to get it done.
How much is he offering?
I made HIM the offer. I'm not at liberty to say how much. Lets just say, it's enough to be a BIG help with the downpayment on the Evo. Also, if I ever need his help in the future, he'll remember how good of a deal I gave him. (hopefully) NEDSM'ers are pretty good like that and will usually help each other out and ask for nothing in return. My wife however was NOT happy, she knows I could get more than twice as much if I parted it but I'm not going to go there. I know for a fact, most of my setup is going on a car that has a future and that alone makes it worth it to me...

That's cool, just asking because if that falls through, I have all stock parts, too.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-31-06 01:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#827, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 13
Jan-31-06 01:11 PM by eclipzGST

How much is he offering?
I made HIM the offer. I'm not at liberty to say how much. Lets just say, it's enough to be a BIG help with the downpayment on the Evo. Also, if I ever need his help in the future, he'll remember how good of a deal I gave him. (hopefully) NEDSM'ers are pretty good like that and will usually help each other out and ask for nothing in return. My wife however was NOT happy, she knows I could get more than twice as much if I parted it but I'm not going to go there. I know for a fact, most of my setup is going on a car that has a future and that alone makes it worth it to me...
That's cool, just asking because if that falls through, I have all stock parts, too.

Ok. I'll let you know. Then I'll put in for my vaca so I can drive to Nebraska to swap it all.

Dualgen2Jan-31-06 03:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#828, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 14

Good luck w/ getting the EVO. What's the reason for switching from a EVO 8 to a EVO 9 Greg? Respond to mods that much better?

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

97eclipse97Jan-31-06 06:18 PM
695 posts,
#829, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Dualgen2
Good luck w/ getting the EVO. What's the reason for switching from a EVO 8 to a EVO 9 Greg? Respond to mods that much better?

Who's Greg? I don't think there is much of a difference at all except the addition of MIVEC with the 9's (which can be an awesome thing!)

Dualgen2Feb-01-06 03:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#830, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by Dualgen2 Good luck w/ getting the EVO. What's the reason for switching from a EVO 8 to a EVO 9 Greg? Respond to mods that much better?
Who's Greg? I don't think there is much of a difference at all except the addition of MIVEC with the 9's (which can be an awesome thing!)

Greg is 992gnt. He has an EVO 8 and used to have a stage 4 or 5 2gnt. Fellow old school member and he mentioned selling the 8 and getting a 9 in his reply. The MIVEC thing makes sense though. I want to test drive one.

97eclipse97Feb-01-06 04:05 AM
695 posts,
#831, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 18

Whoops, I went back and read the other posts, but I guess I missed that one...

Also, I am pretty sure that little to no Mitsu dealers allow test drives on Evos...

Dualgen2Feb-01-06 06:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#832, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 19

Whoops, I went back and read the other posts, but I guess I missed that one... Also, I am pretty sure that little to no Mitsu dealers allow test drives on Evos...

I think it's stupid but even when I rolled up in my vr4 the dealer said no. So I said, then how can you convinced me an EVO is better then my car? He let me drive the new Eclipse GT, which was faster then I thought but still. When my car broke down this weekend, the sales guy at that dealership said I could drive an EVO, but I didn't have time.

Moderator992gntFeb-01-06 06:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#833, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 20
Feb-01-06 07:01 AM by 992gnt

Evo IX's with a TBE, MBC, 272 Exhaust cam (no MIVEC cam yet), ecu flash, and 100 octane in the tank are putting down easy 11 second power(380whp/375wtq). The new turbo and MIVEC are no joke. I am about the same hp wise, but also needed IC piping, intake, injectors, and both cams to get there.

Test drives are no problem as long as you don't go in looking and acting like a punk. I drove one back in March of '03 when they were still going for $5k over sticker.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

97eclipse97Feb-01-06 07:13 AM
695 posts,
#834, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 21
Feb-01-06 07:14 AM by 97eclipse97

Evo IX's with a TBE, MBC, 272 Exhaust cam (no MIVEC cam yet), ecu flash, and 100 octane in the tank are putting down easy 11 second power(380whp/375wtq). The new turbo and MIVEC are no joke. I am about the same hp wise, but also needed IC piping, intake, injectors, and both cams to get there. Test drives are no problem as long as you don't go in looking and acting like a punk. I drove one back in March of '03 when they were still going for $5k over sticker.

Wow, very impressive. Hopefully by the end of this summer I will have my new winter beater ('06 MR )

On a side note, there was an article in Road & Track's Speed magazine comparing 12 different exhuast systems. I couldn't believe how much power could come out of just an exhaust! The Greddy Ti exhaust made the most power (I can't remember how much) and it weighed the least (around 10 lbs!). Not bad if you ask me!

420a-TnthewerksFeb-01-06 01:04 PM
2267 posts,
#835, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 14

How much is he offering?
Ok. I'll let you know. Then I'll put in for my vaca so I can drive to Nebraska to swap it all.

lol, well what I meant was, I send you my stock parts, you swap them to your car, you send me your parts. I have another car so downtime wouldn't of been a problem. But I see you've already got it all taken care of

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-02-06 07:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#836, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 23

All went well. Tomorrow morning I pick up the new car. Went with a wicked white, 06 Evo IX.

97eclipse97Feb-02-06 07:51 AM
695 posts,
#837, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 24

All went well. Tomorrow morning I pick up the new car. Went with a wicked white, 06 Evo IX.

Awesome! I call first hell ride! (I've actually never been in an Evo before, so I'm still an Evo virgin!)

Congratulations!

Moderator992gntFeb-02-06 10:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#838, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 25

Congrats Tony, you're gonna love it.

www.evolutionm.net

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-02-06 01:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#839, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 26

Congrats Tony, you're gonna love it. www.evolutionm.net

thanks
I've been poking around that site for awhile now. I haven't posted anything yet though. I'm trying to think of something good for my first post to get warrtalon all riled up.

Moderator992gntFeb-02-06 02:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#840, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 27

I'm not too sure about that guy sometimes. I think his 'celebrity' has gone to his head a bit. He's an expert on EVERYTHING. He told me that a rear swaybar couldn't instill more 'confidence' in the car which in turn could lower lap times. "I can get more confidence reading a book", he said. Therefore of course, a rear swaybar is a worthless mod. I replied back with more technical remarks and personal experience that contradicted his thoughts and he dropped the subject totally. It's easy to get him started though.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-03-06 06:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#841, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 28

Brought it home today!
Everything I expected and more. I can't wait till it's broken in.
Pics will come soon...

Diceman19Feb-03-06 07:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#842, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 29

sweetness. update your sig.

TguyApr-01-10 04:28 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2010
21 posts,
#13155, "RE: So I guess the gig is up..."
In response to Reply # 0

only solution is to buy a new shell.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #812 Previous topic | Next topic