Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7404
View in linear mode

Subject: "firing order" Previous topic | Next topic
daman_tboneMay-17-06 10:04 AM
Member since Aug 27th 2004
159 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7404, "firing order"

ok, so i have a 95 eclipse gs-t. i was told my two different mitsu dealers that the firing order is 1342...so i hooked my wires up that way but to no avail...so i finally got mad and just started switching them around til i found what worked- 1432. so is it possible that someone before me could have somehow changed the firing order on my car?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: firing order, 98VengeI4, May-18-06 05:15 AM, #1
RE: firing order, TeamDR1665, May-18-06 06:27 AM, #2
      RE: firing order, 98VengeI4, May-18-06 06:32 AM, #3
           RE: firing order, cougar694u, May-18-06 06:57 AM, #4
                RE: firing order, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-18-06 08:25 AM, #5
                     RE: firing order, T_K, May-18-06 09:29 AM, #6
                          RE: firing order, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-18-06 12:02 PM, #7
                               RE: firing order, T_K, May-18-06 12:55 PM, #8
                                    RE: firing order, 97eclipse97, May-18-06 02:14 PM, #9
                                         RE: firing order, T_K, May-18-06 02:16 PM, #10
                                              RE: firing order, daman_tbone, May-18-06 05:48 PM, #11
                                                   RE: firing order, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-18-06 07:17 PM, #12
                                                        RE: firing order, 97eclipse97, May-19-06 02:45 AM, #13
                                                             RE: firing order, TeamXtremeRS, May-21-06 11:15 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: firing order, daman_tbone, May-22-06 05:28 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: firing order, TeamXtremeRS, May-22-06 01:05 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: firing order, daman_tbone, May-22-06 05:40 PM, #17

98VengeI4May-18-06 05:15 AM
Member since Mar 10th 2002
282 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7405, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 0

If you have a stock OEM-style coil pack it should be marked 1,2,3,4.

There actually is two coils. One is for cylinders 1 & 4. The other is for 2&3. If you are standing at the front of the car looking at the coil pack, cylinder 1 goes on the top left plug (should say 1). Then the one below it is for Cylinder #2. The one to the right of that one in the bottom right corner is for Cylinder #3. Then the one above it is Cylinder #4. And going from the timing belt side to the drivers (trans) side it is Cylinder #1, #2, #3, #4.

The firing order I believe is 1, 3, 4, 2. Someone else can verify though.

-Nate
-All-Motor Buildup on the way
-VIS Invader hood, R34 front, Proejctors, M3 LED Mirrors

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665May-18-06 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#7406, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by 98VengeI4
What he said...

Dude. He said he has a GST. His coil pack is back under the intake plenum and all the wires are in a straight line. I'm not sure how to arrange the wires from the coil pack, but you might post this in 4G63, as those guys know it blindfolded, I'm sure.

98VengeI4May-18-06 06:32 AM
Member since Mar 10th 2002
282 posts,
#7407, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by 98VengeI4 What he said...
Dude. He said he has a GST. His coil pack is back under the intake plenum and all the wires are in a straight line. I'm not sure how to arrange the wires from the coil pack, but you might post this in 4G63, as those guys know it blindfolded, I'm sure.

Sorry I didn't even notice that....

Yeah, do what he said.

-Nate
-All-Motor Buildup on the way
-VIS Invader hood, R34 front, Proejctors, M3 LED Mirrors

cougar694uMay-18-06 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#7408, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 3

Does the GS-T have a distributor? I always assumed is was DIS.

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-18-06 08:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7409, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by cougar694u
Does the GS-T have a distributor? I always assumed is was DIS.

No distributer. Coil pack. And the order is 1–3–4–2.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

T_KMay-18-06 09:29 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#7410, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 5

I can post a drawing of the coil pack and wires connections when I get back home from work.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

420a-TnthewerksMay-18-06 12:02 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#7411, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 6

It can be 4123, 1423, 1432, or 4132.

T_KMay-18-06 12:55 PM
219 posts,
#7412, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 7

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

97eclipse97May-18-06 02:14 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#7413, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 8

If you have the stock CAS in there, then the firing order as it comes from the factory (the best fit for the plug wires) is 4123. The only reason to vary this would be if you had a different CAS (either 1g or 97-99) in which case you would switch it to 1432.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

T_KMay-18-06 02:16 PM
219 posts,
#7414, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 9

aw you're right, I posted a 1g drawing to a 2g question...

daman_tboneMay-18-06 05:48 PM
159 posts,
#7415, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 10

so there are different possible combinations according to some of these posts? well i called up two dealerships and they also both told me 1342 but i have it hooked up 1432 and its running just great so the diagram posted is right...at least for my car even if its supposed to be wrong...but yeah thanks for all the help people

just got an 03 suzuki katana 600cc!!!!

420a-TnthewerksMay-18-06 07:17 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#7416, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by daman_tbone
so there are different possible combinations according to some of these posts? well i called up two dealerships and they also both told me 1342 but i have it hooked up 1432 and its running just great so the diagram posted is right...at least for my car even if its supposed to be wrong...but yeah thanks for all the help people

Yeah, they're dumb, 1&4 have their own coil pack, and 2&3 have their own. Therefore 1&4 would always be next to eachother, same as 2&3. So every combination in my last post will work, although I believe 4123 will get you the cleanest looking wire placement.

97eclipse97May-19-06 02:45 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#7417, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 12

Also, the reason there can be different orders is due to the fact that 1&3 fire at the same time, as do 2&4, in case you weren't aware.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

TeamXtremeRSMay-21-06 11:15 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#7418, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 13

If you stop and think about it, the "technical" firing order has to be 1342. Cylinders 1&4 have the same piston position, and cylinders 2&3 have the same piston position. Lets say cylinder 1 is at TDC and ready to fire. This means that cylinder 4 is at the top of the exhaust stroke, and ready for the downward intake stroke. Its not posible to fire #4 next, because you have an ignition event every 180 degrees of crank rotation. The next cylinder to be at the top of the compression stroke would have to be either the # 2 or #3 cylinder, depending on how the cams are working the valves anyway. So really it could be 1243, or 1342..Since its wasted spark, there are several ways to wire it, so it still runs ok of course. 1&4 wires have to be on the same coil pack, and 2&3 have to be on the same coilpack.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

daman_tboneMay-22-06 05:28 AM
159 posts,
#7419, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 14

ok...so tell me why 1342 doesnt work on my car, because it should..its hooked up 1432 right now

TeamXtremeRSMay-22-06 01:05 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#7420, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 15
May-22-06 01:14 PM by XtremeRS

Originally posted by daman_tbone
ok...so tell me why 1342 doesnt work on my car, because it should..its hooked up 1432 right now

As long as the 1&4 coil is connected to either cylinders 1 and 4, and as long as the 2&3 coil is connected to cylinders 2 and 3, it will run like normal. Technically, you can put coil 1 tower to cylinder 4, and coil 4 tower to cylinder 1. You can put coil 2 tower to cylinder 3, and coil 3 tower to cylinder 2. It doesnt matter. Get what i'm saying? 1342 doesnt work because you prob have coil 1&4 connected to cylinders 1&3. The coilpack are a pair of coils, each are dual tower. Wasted spark means that 1&4 fire at the same time, and 2&3 fire at the same time. If #1 is firing on the power stroke, that means that #4 is "wasting" spark on the exhaust stroke. Next to fire would be either #2 or #3, depending on how the cams are working. Lets say its #3, which means both 2&3 are firing, 3 is on the power stroke, and 2 is on the exhaust stroke. Next to fire would be #4, sice 180 degrees before that, it was beginningn the intake stroke..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

daman_tboneMay-22-06 05:40 PM
159 posts,
#7421, "RE: firing order"
In response to Reply # 16

1342 doesnt work because you prob have coil 1&4 connected to cylinders 1&3

yes i understand all of what you are saying except that up there...if it is hooked up 1342 how can coil 1 and 4 be hooked up to cylinder 1 and 3...i must be on the wrong track lol

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7404 Previous topic | Next topic