Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #701
View in linear mode

Subject: "You guys are never going to believe this..." Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiApr-21-09 09:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#701, "You guys are never going to believe this..."

My car caught on fire this morning on the way to work. Just as I get to work, smoke is coming from under the hood. I pop the hood and I have my battery on fire.

Life is great.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., BigBald, Feb-08-06 05:48 AM, #1
RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., ScreaminE, Feb-08-06 05:56 AM, #2
      RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-08-06 06:20 AM, #3
           RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., 97eclipse97, Feb-08-06 07:10 AM, #4
                RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., destruckeclipse, Feb-08-06 07:16 AM, #5
                     RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., DSMxTSi, Feb-08-06 10:34 AM, #6
                          RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., n2opowerdesi, Feb-08-06 01:05 PM, #7
                               RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., All4thaN0okie, Feb-17-06 01:57 PM, #8
                                    RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., slowmitsu, Feb-18-06 06:40 AM, #9
                                         RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., Diceman19, Feb-18-06 07:55 AM, #10
                                         RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-20-06 03:26 AM, #11
                                              RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., slowmitsu, Feb-20-06 03:33 AM, #12
                                                   RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., PowerEclipses, Feb-20-06 07:19 PM, #13
                                                        RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-21-06 08:01 AM, #14
                                                             RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., PowerEclipses, Feb-22-06 07:48 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-22-06 08:08 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., BMPDirk, Feb-23-06 07:30 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-23-06 07:58 AM, #18
                                                                                 RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., 97eclipse97, Feb-23-06 08:07 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-23-06 08:12 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., 97eclipse97, Feb-23-06 08:23 AM, #21
                                                                                           RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-23-06 09:06 AM, #22
                                                                                                RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., 97eclipse97, Feb-23-06 09:33 AM, #23
                                                                                 RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., BMPDirk, Feb-23-06 10:47 AM, #24
                                                                                      RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., EclipseTical, Feb-23-06 11:35 AM, #25
                                                                                      RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., RST95eclipse, Feb-23-06 06:24 PM, #26
                                                                                      RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., TeamDR1665, Feb-24-06 07:59 AM, #27
                                                                                           RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Feb-24-06 08:35 AM, #28
                                                                                           RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., Blizare, Feb-24-06 10:12 AM, #29
                                                                                                RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., kelvinb1, Mar-04-06 04:50 PM, #30
                                                                                                     RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Mar-06-06 06:16 AM, #31
                                                                                                          RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., DSMxTSi, Mar-06-06 08:28 AM, #32
                                                                                                          RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Mar-06-06 09:52 AM, #33
                                                                                                               RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., DSMxTSi, Mar-18-06 08:12 PM, #35
                                                                                                                    RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., FlyinEsi, Mar-20-06 03:19 AM, #36
                                                                                                          RE: You guys are never going to believe this..., Remy, Mar-08-06 01:34 PM, #34

BigBaldFeb-08-06 05:48 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#702, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 0

I hope this is an early april fools joke.

What the hell happened?

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ScreaminEFeb-08-06 05:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#703, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 1

I think I'm gonna be sick.

FlyinEsiFeb-08-06 06:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#704, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 2

I don't know what happened, but I think my battery slid forward when i was stopping and my cruise control cable crossed the battery terminal and grounded out. Sparks started flying, as claimed by a lady behind me in traffic, I pulled over, lifted the hood and my battery had huge flames coming out of it. I blew them out, doused the battery with water, pulled it out. I have some wire damage running to the injectors, etc. The battery terminals are toast, the cruise control cable is completely melted through, and one of my I/C pipe connectors is burned through.

I hope this doesn't get expensive.

97eclipse97Feb-08-06 07:10 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#705, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I don't know what happened, but I think my battery slid forward when i was stopping and my cruise control cable crossed the battery terminal and grounded out. Sparks started flying, as claimed by a lady behind me in traffic, I pulled over, lifted the hood and my battery had huge flames coming out of it. I blew them out, doused the battery with water, pulled it out. I have some wire damage running to the injectors, etc. The battery terminals are toast, the cruise control cable is completely melted through, and one of my I/C pipe connectors is burned through. I hope this doesn't get expensive.

I think you got lucky personally. That could have been a lot worse. Looks like you just need new injector wiring, battery, and i/c connectors. This is a good reason to get rid of cruise control at least. Defintily the worst part is the injector wires. Good luck!

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

destruckeclipseFeb-08-06 07:16 AM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#706, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 4

Sorry to hear about the problems. Well, you can always look o the positive side, it didn't burn to the ground.

Do you have the battery tie down on the car? I took my strut bar off cause I didn't want my battery to hit it and cause something similar.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

DSMxTSiFeb-08-06 10:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#707, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 5

Damn, that sucks. It sure could have been worse, but hopefully the electrical currents didn't mess up something unseen. Hope you get it back on the road soon.

n2opowerdesiFeb-08-06 01:05 PM
Member since Dec 16th 2005
3 posts,
#708, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 6

Wow it could have been sooooo much worse believe me about a mouth ago I was driving down the road and my talon esi started to catch on fire I got out just before the car went up in flames it all burned up in to nothing. NO JOKE AT ALL I had no idea what happened. till maybe now.

All4thaN0okieFeb-17-06 01:57 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#709, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 7

didn't the battery explode on the old car??

slowmitsuFeb-18-06 06:40 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#710, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by All4thaN0okie
didn't the battery explode on the old car??

No. The car was wrecked on the freeway.

_______

BPU'd skittle

Diceman19Feb-18-06 07:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#711, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 9

battery tie down? there is a reason the track wants you to have one, this is probably an example of such a reason.

FlyinEsiFeb-20-06 03:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#712, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by slowmitsu
Originally posted by All4thaN0okie didn't the battery explode on the old car??

Actually, yes! My battery exploded about a year and a half ago in the other GSX. The alternator's regulator went out and overcharged the battery and caused it to pop!

I have bad luck with batteries.

slowmitsuFeb-20-06 03:33 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#713, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by slowmitsu
Originally posted by All4thaN0okie didn't the battery explode on the old car??
Actually, yes! My battery exploded about a year and a half ago in the other GSX. The alternator's regulator went out and overcharged the battery and caused it to pop! I have bad luck with batteries.

My apologies.

_______

BPU'd skittle

PowerEclipsesFeb-20-06 07:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#714, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 12

sucks man, get rid of the cruise control cable, www.turbotrix.com and it saves a bunch of room, good luck

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

FlyinEsiFeb-21-06 08:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#715, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by PowerEclipses
sucks man, get rid of the cruise control cable, www.turbotrix.com and it saves a bunch of room, good luck

Never! I use cruise control every day.

PowerEclipsesFeb-22-06 07:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#716, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 14

haha cruise is for lazy asses

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

FlyinEsiFeb-22-06 08:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#717, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by PowerEclipses
haha cruise is for lazy asses

And long trips.

BMPDirkFeb-23-06 07:30 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#718, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 16

you got another GSX?

FlyinEsiFeb-23-06 07:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#719, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah, I picked up a '98 from New Mexico in early January. Built 7 bolt, Frankenstein 3 turbo setup, somewhat nice, needs some work, but I got a great deal on it.

Where have you been? I never see you on IM anymore...oh yeah, I lost my free internet connection and can't sign on at work. How have you been?

97eclipse97Feb-23-06 08:07 AM
695 posts,
#720, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 18

I thought it had a built 6-bolt? http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=15439&mesg_id=15439&page=2

FlyinEsiFeb-23-06 08:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#721, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 19

That is what I was told when I bought the car, but when I found a receipt for the performance shop I gave them a call and they sent me all the receipts. It is a 7-bolt eagle rods, ross pistons, 1G head, 1G JDM intake, and only a level 3 frankenstein turbo. Oh well, I still got a great deal and this car moves!

97eclipse97Feb-23-06 08:23 AM
695 posts,
#722, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 20

That is what I was told when I bought the car, but when I found a receipt for the performance shop I gave them a call and they sent me all the receipts. It is a 7-bolt eagle rods, ross pistons, 1G head, 1G JDM intake, and only a level 3 frankenstein turbo. Oh well, I still got a great deal and this car moves!

That's sh*tty, have you checked for play in the crankshaft? To me it makes no sense to build up a 7-bolt...

FlyinEsiFeb-23-06 09:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#723, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by FlyinEsi That is what I was told when I bought the car, but when I found a receipt for the performance shop I gave them a call and they sent me all the receipts. It is a 7-bolt eagle rods, ross pistons, 1G head, 1G JDM intake, and only a level 3 frankenstein turbo. Oh well, I still got a great deal and this car moves!
That's sh*tty, have you checked for play in the crankshaft? To me it makes no sense to build up a 7-bolt...

The 7-bolt has absolutely no play and the original motor had 65K on it, so it probably wasn't going to walk if it hadn't already.

...and building up a 7-bolt isn't such a bad idea. I have my old 7-bolt getting built right now by a shop in Colorado, Weisco pistons, eagle rods, 1G clevite bearings, 2.4L crank. The owner guarantees his motor will never crankwalk or he will rebuild the motor again for free. He has several 11 second DSM's running around Colorado that are not walking under drag race, daily driving, stock clutch, race clutch, all applications are not walking. He says he has found the cure, but won't tell anybody. For a lifetime crankwalk guarantee, I'll give it a shot.

... 2.3L stroker rebuild, underway ...

97eclipse97Feb-23-06 09:33 AM
695 posts,
#724, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 22

Well the lifetime warranty is sweet, but I don't know about him finding the cure and not telling anyone. Why would you not tell anyone? Anyways, it can occur after any mount of time, the only thing that is for sure is that modding a 7 bolt (especially with a heavy clutch such as the 2600) will only expedite it. This doesn't mean that every 7 bolt will walk, but I say why take the risk? Anyways, it sounds like you should be all set, I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

BMPDirkFeb-23-06 10:47 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#725, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 18

Yeah, I picked up a '98 from New Mexico in early January. Built 7 bolt, Frankenstein 3 turbo setup, somewhat nice, needs some work, but I got a great deal on it. Where have you been? I never see you on IM anymore...oh yeah, I lost my free internet connection and can't sign on at work. How have you been?

Sounds great. What happened to the other GSX?

I've been around. Been focusing on other things for a little while, but now i need to make some car decisions.

EclipseTicalFeb-23-06 11:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#726, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by BMPDirk
Originally posted by FlyinEsi Yeah, I picked up a '98 from New Mexico in early January. Built 7 bolt, Frankenstein 3 turbo setup, somewhat nice, needs some work, but I got a great deal on it. Where have you been? I never see you on IM anymore...oh yeah, I lost my free internet connection and can't sign on at work. How have you been?
Sounds great. What happened to the other GSX? I've been around. Been focusing on other things for a little while, but now i need to make some car decisions.

this should sum it up for you Ric

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/flyinesi/PIX7.jp g

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

RST95eclipseFeb-23-06 06:24 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#727, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 25

Link doesn't work for me.

Anyways, if I remember right, this is your 3rd GSX in like 6 months. For the 3rd time, Good luck with everything man. I hope that you don't experience anything like you have. I know I'd be pulling my hair out if this all happened to me. Seriously good luck and have fun with the car.

TeamDR1665Feb-24-06 07:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#728, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by BMPDirk
What happened to the other GSX?

Very bad things related to cheap, 60 series tires on 16" wheels around a bend at triple-digit speeds. It almost made me cry when he called me from the side of the road to share this horror story.

The X is no more. This is the Phoenix.

FlyinEsiFeb-24-06 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#729, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 27

This is my 2nd GSX in 2.5 years. My first car was a Talon ESi which I sold to Evulflea in perfectly fine condition.

Here is the picture posted above, it is big though...frame damage all the way back to the firewall caused it to be totalled, but 95% of the car was fine. I have been pulling parts, engine, tranny, all kinds of stuff off of it. It will soon be sold to the buyer of all of my AWD parts and it will be no more.

From the ashes of one GSX shall rise another...bigger...badder...stronger...and I shall call it "The Phoenix" or X^2.

BlizareFeb-24-06 10:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#730, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 27

Originally posted by DR1665
Very bad things related to cheap, 60 series tires on 16" wheels around a bend at triple-digit speeds.

Ugghh. It reminded me of when I smashed my poor car

Good luck with the new one again Dan. Shitty deal with the latest mishap but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

kelvinb1Mar-04-06 04:50 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#731, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 29

any update? how she doin?

FlyinEsiMar-06-06 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#732, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 30

Car is doing alright. We replaced sensors, did some rewiring and she is acting alright. I got the SAFC taken out and DSMlink installed, but not I still have a short somewhere that kicks everything off for a second and then I'm fine. I've got to find that because I think it keeps resetting my DSMlink ECU.

The new motor is off in Colorado getting built, no word on when that should be completed. I'm hoping by the end of March I will have the new 2.3L installed.

DSMxTSiMar-06-06 08:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#733, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 31

Whos's dong the 2.3L build in Colorado? I used to live out there and am wondering who it is. This is the same guy that "fixes" walked 7 bolts, right?

FlyinEsiMar-06-06 09:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#734, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 32

Yeah, the place is called Innovative Automotive Technologies.

DSMxTSiMar-18-06 08:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#735, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 33

Yeah, the place is called Innovative Automotive Technologies.

Where in Colorado is this place? I'm thinking Colorado Springs?
I ask because I'm going to be out there in a couple weeks and I'd like to check this place out.

FlyinEsiMar-20-06 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#736, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 35

Originally posted by DSMxTSi
Originally posted by FlyinEsi Yeah, the place is called Innovative Automotive Technologies.
Where in Colorado is this place? I'm thinking Colorado Springs? I ask because I'm going to be out there in a couple weeks and I'd like to check this place out.

Yes, the place is in Colorado Springs. I left my phone at home, but tomorrow I'll PM you his telephone number and you can arrange to see his shop. My motor should have been shipped out last week so hopefully it will be on the car in a few weeks.

RemyMar-08-06 01:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#737, "RE: You guys are never going to believe this..."
In response to Reply # 31

Car is doing alright. We replaced sensors, did some rewiring and she is acting alright. I got the SAFC taken out and DSMlink installed, but not I still have a short somewhere that kicks everything off for a second and then I'm fine. I've got to find that because I think it keeps resetting my DSMlink ECU. The new motor is off in Colorado getting built, no word on when that should be completed. I'm hoping by the end of March I will have the new 2.3L installed.

2.3 and gt35r should put up some pretty sick numbers at the track. Good luck with that.

WWW.CNNMOTORSPORTS.COM

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #701 Previous topic | Next topic