Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6889
View in linear mode

Subject: "problems" Previous topic | Next topic
OB gs-BoostedJan-08-07 12:50 PM
Member since Nov 05th 2005
15 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6889, "problems"

ok right now me and my buddy are building a 4g63t out of a 93 lazer. we put manley rods and wiesco pistons in the bottom end with clevite bearings and arp studs. block had crankwalk so we sent it to a machine shop to fix it and bore it to 86mm. crank was also sent out. we built the bottom end and it seems when #1 and #4 piston get to TDC it gets harder to crank over? anybody have any experience with this problem? Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: problems, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-08-07 01:28 PM, #1
RE: problems, burntheblobs, Jan-08-07 04:08 PM, #2
RE: problems, Remy, Jan-08-07 09:37 PM, #3
RE: problems, OB gs-Boosted, Jan-09-07 12:30 PM, #4
      RE: problems, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-09-07 10:17 PM, #5
           RE: problems, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-10-07 07:37 AM, #6
                RE: problems, OB gs-Boosted, Jan-10-07 08:24 AM, #7
                     RE: problems, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-11-07 08:28 AM, #8
                          RE: problems, burntheblobs, Jan-20-07 04:09 PM, #9

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-08-07 01:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6890, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Why did you bother rebuilding a walked motor. 9x out of 10, they walk again.
Should have just gone with a 6 bolt.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

burntheblobsJan-08-07 04:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6891, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 1
Jan-08-07 04:10 PM by burntheblobs

In general when cranking it over by hand, certain parts of the rotation will be harder than others. I think this is mostly because of the valve spring compression going on in the cylinder head. I could be wrong though. It should get harder and harder to crank untill it gets to a certain point at which it turns about a quarter turn for you.

And Tony is right. That block will most likely crankwalk again.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

RemyJan-08-07 09:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#6892, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by OB gs-Boosted
ok right now me and my buddy are building a 4g63t out of a 93 lazer. we put manley rods and wiesco pistons in the bottom end with clevite bearings and arp studs. block had crankwalk so we sent it to a machine shop to fix it and bore it to 86mm. crank was also sent out. we built the bottom end and it seems when #1 and #4 piston get to TDC it gets harder to crank over? anybody have any experience with this problem? Thanks

Its Normal.

I agree with the other guys. Very bad idea building that motor.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...

OB gs-BoostedJan-09-07 12:30 PM
15 posts,
#6893, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 3

yea i understand. if we pop out the pistons and rods and the crank spins freely do you think we would be fine? trying to reach a close deadline on this project so we need to solve this. thanks again

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-09-07 10:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6894, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 4

We already told you it's normal. Don't go ripping it apart again. (unless it's because you found a 6-bolt core and decided to do it right this time. )

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-10-07 07:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6895, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 5

Um.....just for fun, let me ask this; You are talking about WITH the head on, right?

If so normal.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

OB gs-BoostedJan-10-07 08:24 AM
15 posts,
#6896, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 6

no no the head is not on yet. thats why im a little confused on why it gets a little harder to crank over. ive never built a motor where it does this but yet i havent built a 4g63t that is why im asking. Thanks

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-11-07 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6897, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 7

This is why I ask the fun questions. OK gotta narrow it down. Start with rods + pistons. Pull cap on one piston and spin crank (obviously keep the rod from hitting the crank). See if that makes it easier. Do this until you isolate the rod/piston that frees it up. When you locate that, you will have to do inspection/detective work to see where she is binding. I'm gonna guess that maybe a ring landing or piece of ring has broken off. Could also be a rod bearing binding up. I am ONLY guessing from what I have seen to be the more common problems.

Good luck,
MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

burntheblobsJan-20-07 04:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#6898, "RE: problems"
In response to Reply # 8

Any luck finding a solution to the problem?

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6889 Previous topic | Next topic