Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6447
View in linear mode

Subject: "blow-by??" Previous topic | Next topic
klipzracerSep-02-01 08:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6447, "blow-by??"

hey peeps, i threw a boost controller on the gsx a couple days ago and now the dipstick keeps poping up. could this be blow-by through my piston rings therby pressurizing my oil pan inside and ecaping through the dipstick? could i just take the dipstick out and put new rings in later or could the blow-by damage the engine?

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

I have no really neat sayings to post here and too much $h!t done to my car to post either! Just visit my web site.

http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: blow-by??, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-02-01 02:15 PM, #1
RE: blow-by??, klipzracer, Sep-02-01 06:16 PM, #2
RE: blow-by??, ModeratorVX100, Sep-03-01 03:43 AM, #3
RE: blow-by??, klipzracer, Sep-03-01 07:58 AM, #4
      RE: blow-by??, ModeratorVX100, Sep-03-01 03:09 PM, #5
           ask Chris and you shall recieve, ModeratorVX100, Sep-03-01 04:15 PM, #6
                RE: ask Chris and you shall recieve, klipzracer, Sep-04-01 09:04 AM, #7
                RE: ask Chris and you shall recieve, klipzracer, Sep-05-01 12:21 PM, #8

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-02-01 02:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6448, "RE: blow-by??"
In response to Reply # 0

Does it burn oil? Have you done a compression test?

Replace your PCV valve(could be malfunctioning, allowing boost into the crankcase), do a compression test, and check your numbers against the factory spec.

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, ckick HERE:
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

klipzracerSep-02-01 06:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6449, "RE: blow-by??"
In response to Reply # 1

no not burnin oil and i can't fin a pcv valve. i found a tube that runs fron the valve cover to the intake mani but no valve action! what's up with that? guess i'll brake out the hayes manual tommorow.

Chris Dishmon

Well i no longer have a website cause Homestead is being a bunch of bitches!

ModeratorVX100Sep-03-01 03:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#6450, "RE: blow-by??"
In response to Reply # 0

alot of 4G63 owners have problems witht he dip sticks doing that. They just rig them up so they are tied down and won't pop off. My guess would be that's the best solution.

"Keep on charging the enemy, so long as there is life."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH
2001 DSM Shootout Winner - NT Class

Modifications: GS-T muffler, Iceman cold air intake, AFX underdrive pulley, Brospeed header, Apexi Super AFC, Extrude Honed intake manifold, KYB AGX shocks, Powerslot front rotors, Porterfield R4S front brake pads, and occationally Mazda RX-7 rims with 225/50VR16 Michelin Pilot SX-GT tires

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

klipzracerSep-03-01 07:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6451, "RE: blow-by??"
In response to Reply # 3

why would they be having that problem? just sounds kinda fishy but it's better than crankwalk!

Chris Dishmon

ModeratorVX100Sep-03-01 03:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#6452, "RE: blow-by??"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't remember why, but I can certainly ask and get an answer for you.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.750 @ 88.93 MPH

Modifications: GS-T muffler, Iceman cold air intake, AFX underdrive pulley, Brospeed header, Apexi Super AFC, Extrude Honed intake manifold, KYB AGX shocks, Powerslot front rotors, Porterfield R4S front brake pads, and occationally Mazda RX-7 rims with 225/50VR16 Michelin Pilot SX-GT tires

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

ModeratorVX100Sep-03-01 04:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#6453, "ask Chris and you shall recieve"
In response to Reply # 5

here is what I got for answers from two people on the NEDSM list (the first two who responed at this late hour)

1st opinion

could be one of the following:

1) Blowby so the only fix is to tie it down until engine rebuild
2) dipstick needs to be replaced from constant heat cycling which makes rubber part hard
3) possible PCV valve replacement
4) someone decided to mess with the dipstick tube and made it worse

2nd opinion

Probably some boosted blow-by, but mainly dried out O-rings on the
dipstick. One of those problems that doesn't have to be. Easy fix: buy a 2G
dipstick for $7 and be done with it. No more popping out, and no more burnt
fingers checking oil.

My best suggestion would be: I'd check the easiest one first, replace the dipstick, then check the PCV valve, if it's not those then you probably have a blow-by problem.

Hope that helps

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.750 @ 88.93 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

klipzracerSep-04-01 09:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6454, "RE: ask Chris and you shall recieve"
In response to Reply # 6

well is not the dipstick it's in tight as hell in there so imma try the pcv valvle today and see if it works. i hope it's not blow-by.

Chris Dishmon

klipzracerSep-05-01 12:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#6455, "RE: ask Chris and you shall recieve"
In response to Reply # 6

well pvc is good so imma strap down the dipstick tonight and see whant happens. watch it blow my oilpan off! oh well, shit happens!

Chris Dishmon

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6447 Previous topic | Next topic